• ...and so much more!
  • Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    For the last couple of weeks, raccoon(s) have been crapping on the decorative stones in my back yard.

A quick google search came up with peppermint spray. The link pulled up two 8 oz. spray bottles for $28. No thanks …

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I have a camera facing the yard. It has been visiting between 10pm-4am.

Maybe when it gets warmer I will be up for an all nighter

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Actually coons are the only animal in these parts that will eat marshmallows. Dogs, cats, possoms, etc will eat peanut butter. Yes, I used to run coon hounds. I'm more hillbilly than I am secret Asian man. Use a Havahart or similar live trap. If it falls into a deep creek before you can release it, say 5 minutes... the coon can look for the guns that went overboard when you lost your guns.
    New marshmallows, more underwater gun intel can be gleamed and the price is right cause you can continue trapping. Or you can take em way out in the boonies. Your choice of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually coons are the only animal in these parts that will eat marshmallows. Dogs, cats, possoms, etc will eat peanut butter. Yes, I used to run coon hounds. I'm more hillbilly than I am secret Asian man. Use a Havahart or similar live trap. If it falls into a deep creek before you can release it, say 5 minutes... the coon can look for the guns that went overboard when you lost your guns.
    New marshmallows, more underwater gun intel can be gleamed and the price is right cause you can continue trapping. Or you can take em way out in the boonies. Your choice of course.
    End them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you're the rule following type you cant cross county lines to release them. Just FYI.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Coons certainly will eat peanut butter, meat fish, dog food along with anything aromatic for the most part and easy to see. I never ran dogs but we sure trapped a slew of coons, muskrats and nutria growing up.
    Its the reason I said conibear instead of a havahart and then sink them in the river.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Rural King sells live traps that should fit a raccoon. $40 if I remember right.

The lethal traps are less expensive.

You can also call a wildlife remediation company.

I just dealt with Black Diamond, Dave Danner. They do animals as well as insects. I've only dealt with him once, but he was polite and professional. FWIW I would call them again and saved his business card.

20220413_224229.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a camera facing the yard. It has been visiting between 10pm-4am.

Maybe when it gets warmer I will be up for an all nighter

Get a cheap motion detector from harbor freight and set it up in the area they're visiting. Go to sleep, wake up to the alarm, open window, pop them, go back to sleep. I've shot plenty of coyotes, possums, and coons with this method.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This has always been my solution...

WMaEaVul.jpg

Though they're honestly more trouble than the critters they kill.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Best results come from a live trap and then a 22lr to dispatch the trapped animal. A long time ago you could use fly bait and cola which was as quick as a two step snake, but it's illegal now.

Top Bottom