• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Sorry to thread Hijack, but this is the kind of thing people should be more mad about, the stupid policies that idiot politicians force upon the public... you KNOW $$$ of taxpayer money is being wasted on this “study” just so some politician will have a stat to use in a random speech/ campaign someday.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Seems the seatbelt law is merely a money generator for the state. I think it's time to get rid of some of these ridiculous laws.

If I choose not to wear my seatbelt that is my choice and my choice alone. Although I do wear it and when I have children they will... when they become an adult they should have that choice.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Sorry to thread Hijack, but this is the kind of thing people should be more mad about, the stupid policies that idiot politicians force upon the public... you KNOW $$$ of taxpayer money is being wasted on this “study” just so some politician will have a stat to use in a random speech/ campaign someday.

Yup. Here is one of those sheets:

Illinois Department of Transportation
    Traffic Stop Data Sheet
    Agency Code

Date of Stop (MM/DD/YY) Time of Stop Duration of stop (Mins.)

Officer Name Badge #

**DRIVER INFORMATION**

Name of Driver

Address
    City State Zip Code

Vehicle Make Vehicle Year

Driver’s Year of Birth: (Ex: 1957)
    2. Driver Sex: 1 □ Male 2 □ Female
    3. Race: 1 □ Caucasian 2 □ African / American 3 □ Native American / Alaskan 4 □ Hispanic 5 □ Asian / Pacific Islander
    4. Reason for Stop: 1 □ Moving Violation 2 □ Equipment 3 □ License Plate / Registration
    5. If Moving Type of Violation: 1 □ Speed 2 □ Lane Violation 3 □ Seat Belt 4 □ Traffic Sign or Signal 5 □ Follow too Close 6 □ Other
    Result of Stop: 1 □ Citation 2 □ Written Warning 3 □ Verbal Warning / (Stop Card)
    7. Beat Location of Stop: □□□□

8. Was a consent search on the vehicle requested and/or performed? 1 □ Yes (If yes, complete section C) 2 □ No
    9. Was a search conducted/requested (other than a vehicle consent search)? 1 □ Yes (If yes, complete section B) 2 □ No

**Section B - If a search was conducted/requested please complete section below**

Indicate if a search was conducted or requested during the traffic stop of any of the following and indicate the type of search conducted for each of the following:

1. Vehicle (non-consent) 2 □ 3 □ 4 □ 5 □ 6 □ 7□
    2. Driver 1 □ 2 □ 3 □ 4 □ 5 □ 6 □ 7□ 8□
    3. Passenger /Passengers 1 □ 2 □ 3 □ 4 □ 5 □ 6 □ 7□ 8□
    4. If a search was conducted, was contraband found? 1 □ Yes 2 □ No
    5. If yes what was found: 1□Drugs 2□Drug Paraphernalia 3□Alcohol 4□Weapons 5□Stolen Property 6□Other
    6. If the contraband found was drugs, what was the amount? 1□<2 grams 2□2-10 grams 3□11-50 grams 4□51-100 grams 5□>100 grams

**Section C - If Consent for a vehicle search was requested please complete section below**

1. If consent was requested to search the vehicle, was consent granted? 1 □ Yes 2 □ No
    2. If consent was granted to search the vehicle, was a consent search performed? 1 □ Yes 2 □ No
    3. If a vehicle consent search was conducted, was contraband found? 1 □ Yes 2 □ No
    4. If yes what was found: 1□Drugs 2□Drug Paraphernalia 3□Alcohol 4□Weapons 5□Stolen Property 6□Other
    5. If the contraband found was drugs, what was the amount? 1□<2 grams 2□2-10 grams 3□11-50 grams 4□51-100 grams 5□>100 grams
    It is a waste of everyone's time. Cops, Motorists, Records Clerks (who have to send the data down to the state), and the jobs that processing the useless information created down state. Just a big waste of tax payers money.

Last edited:

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Seems the seatbelt law is merely a money generator for the state.

Actually the administrative costs of the courts are about break even or slightly more than the $25.00 cost. If they were looking for revenue than they'd be charging the standard $155 or whatever the cost is these days. I usually wrote seatbelt tickets to give somebody a bit of a break while making a point. But I always stuck to my word as to if or when I'd give a ticket.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Seems the seatbelt law is merely a money generator for the state.

Actually the administrative costs of the courts are about break even or slightly more than the $25.00 cost. If they were looking for revenue than they'd be charging the standard $155 or whatever the cost is these days. I usually wrote seatbelt tickets to give somebody a bit of a break while making a point. But I always stuck to my word as to if or when I'd give a ticket.

yeah but you forgot all the federal money they get for click it or ticket blitzes. police departments get millions for this crap.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Yesterday I was sick off work because I had a temperature of about 103 and didn't want to get everyone else at work sick. Decided to go have lunch with the wife and kids (since they stayed home with me.) After lunch and heading back home my youngest pulls his arms out of his car seat and decides to try and stand up. I look back at him in my rear view and also see blueberries and cherries in a stand by manner. I immediately pull to the side of the highway I was on to remedy the seat belt issue. After I am done fixing the seat belt I notice operational berries flickering away behind me so I step back to tell him what my challenge was and he points for me to stand to the rear and I do so.

He gets out is very understanding says he has kids and he knows when they are about that age and size to be changing to a different car seat that it happens a lot. He says he noticed I did not have a seat belt on to which I admitted to being lax in just having left the arbys not 100 yards from where we sat. He said well that being the case and the fact that I pulled over in concern to a child seat belt issue he was not going to ticket me just wanted to run my license and registration before he sent me on my way. I produced both and he saw my ltch and disregarded it. I got back in my car and thought wow I get to post a +1 on INGO woohoo my lucky day. At which point he returns to my car with a summons he told me he was not going to issue me. A little preturbed but otherwise unharmed I went about my way at which point he passed me doing 65 and talking on his cell phone. I was no longer preterbed and frankly kind of :xmad::wallbash:. Now I am not one to come on here and bash LEOS it just aint my bag because none of the bad cops would even show their hide here.

My question is how do you go from I am not going to write you up for such a minor thing as you showed responsibility to a child restraint to here is your summons see you in court but you already admitted to it. Before the usual questions I haven't had a seat belt ticket in almost two years, but I have had a couple.

So you havent had a "seatbelt ticket" in a couple of years, have had multiple? Shoulda learned your lesson. 27 prob came back with points, he saw what the points were for and wrote the citation. Given he shoulda never set himself up for not giving you a citation. Suck it up, pay your 25 dollars and wear your seatbelt. Also be thankful you didnt get a child restraint citation! just my :twocents:!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Okay except for a few people here there is some serious reading comprehension issues. I am not upset about the ticket or the stop. For those that think children can't or won't ever get out of their seat you probably haven't had kids. It happens even when the proper tension is put on the belt a child can and will get free. My problem is the fact that he lied to me. I will probably continue not to wear my seat belt for my own personal reasons and have no problem with paying the fine. BTW there are no points associated with seat belt violation it just goes on your record that you got one. I haven't gotten a seat belt ticket in close to 3 years if I am not mistaken but I will pull my record later.

Bottom line what I am upset about is being lied to. Not the citation, not that he pulled over for my well being, not that he put his boot to the back of my neck while holding me at gun point. I gave him honesty and he did nothing but lie. If it is any consolation to you E5 he wrote the ticket that he pulled me over at 2335 instead of 1135 so if it were you could go fight it.

Oh and it won't be a simple 25 because the court I have to go to only accepts money orders from the post office so I will be out like 27 bucks.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Okay except for a few people here there is some serious reading comprehension issues. I am not upset about the ticket or the stop. For those that think children can't or won't ever get out of their seat you probably haven't had kids. It happens even when the proper tension is put on the belt a child can and will get free. My problem is the fact that he lied to me. I will probably continue not to wear my seat belt for my own personal reasons and have no problem with paying the fine. BTW there are no points associated with seat belt violation it just goes on your record that you got one. I haven't gotten a seat belt ticket in close to 3 years if I am not mistaken but I will pull my record later.

Bottom line what I am upset about is being lied to. Not the citation, not that he pulled over for my well being, not that he put his boot to the back of my neck while holding me at gun point. I gave him honesty and he did nothing but lie. If it is any consolation to you E5 he wrote the ticket that he pulled me over at 2335 instead of 1135 so if it were you could go fight it.

Oh and it won't be a simple 25 because the court I have to go to only accepts money orders from the post office so I will be out like 27 bucks.
    Why does it have to be that he lied? Can it not be that after looking over your BMV response he changed his mind?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Why does it have to be that he lied? Can it not be that after looking over your BMV response he changed his mind?

Because he looked at me dead in the eye said I am not going to ticket you just wanted my license and registration to make sure there is nothing outstanding. Not once did he ask about my record or anything else just supposedly wanted to make sure everything is on the up and up. If I told you I had a ticket when asked about my record and you went back and ran it and saw that I was a habitual offender, but only the one recent ticket would you not consider that lying?

Better yet if you told someone you were not going to issue them a citation/summons/whatever have you ever proceeded to do so anyway and why?

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    yeah but you forgot all the federal money they get for click it or ticket blitzes. police departments get millions for this crap.

No, I was pointing out the court administrative costs of a $25.00 ticket. That was brought to our attention when when the much less cost was applied years ago. I have no idea what it is today but I haven't seen costs go down over the years.
    As for government money, they subsidize a lot of things in law enforcement from cops grants, crime reduction grants, traffic enforcement etc. Not an issue here as I see it unless every traffic ticket written is a small part of a larger government conspiracy.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Because he looked at me dead in the eye said I am not going to ticket you just wanted my license and registration to make sure there is nothing outstanding. Not once did he ask about my record or anything else just supposedly wanted to make sure everything is on the up and up.
    Don't usually ask because when we run your license your ticket history should pop up...no need to ask.
    If I told you I had a ticket when asked about my record and you went back and ran it and saw that I was a habitual offender, but only the one recent ticket would you not consider that lying?
    Not the same thing, the officer could see something when he ran you that changed his mind...that would not be lying. We are allowed to change our minds.
    Better yet if you told someone you were not going to issue them a citation/summons/whatever have you ever proceeded to do so anyway and why?
    Yes, I cannot recally why but I did let them know the reason at the side of the road before they left. I believe that is the issue here. If he would have told you why he changed his mind the aruement would be moot. He did not so all we can do here is speculate.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If I told you I had a ticket when asked about my record and you went back and ran it and saw that I was a habitual offender, but only the one recent ticket would you not consider that lying?

HTV? Oh, yeah, you even get a ride to the county jug for HTV and False Informing.

But remember, snow, they can lie to you, you cannot lie to them. That's why it is important not to say anything. Just ask Martha Stewart.:D

You can always "tell it to the judge". Good luck.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Don't usually ask because when we run your license your ticket history should pop up...no need to ask.

Not the same thing, the officer could see something when he ran you that changed his mind...that would not be lying. We are allowed to change our minds.

Yes, I cannot recally why but I did let them know the reason at the side of the road before they left. I believe that is the issue here. If he would have told you why he changed his mind the aruement would be moot. He did not so all we can do here is speculate.

Then why state that your not going to ticket/cite someone? If there is even a shred of questionability in your mind you shouldn't make a statement that you are not going to do something.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Then why state that your not going to ticket/cite someone? If there is even a shred of questionability in your mind you shouldn't make a statement that you are not going to do something.
    :poop: happens. I never claimed that I was perfect and free from mistakes nor should anyone else. I doubt the officer lied to your face, there is nothing to gain. He simply changed his mind about the ticket especially if you had prior tickets for the same thing. I really don't understand the outrage about this. You were admittedly not wearing your seat belt and were caught. The officer was going to let you slide but changed his mind. Now he is a "bad cop" for doing so? We have REALLY lowered the bar on the definition of "bad cop".

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    :poop: happens. I never claimed that I was perfect and free from mistakes nor should anyone else. I doubt the officer lied to your face, there is nothing to gain. He simply changed his mind about the ticket especially if you had prior tickets for the same thing. I really don't understand the outrage about this. You were admittedly not wearing your seat belt and were caught. The officer was going to let you slide but changed his mind. Now he is a "bad cop" for doing so? We have REALLY lowered the bar on the definition of "bad cop".

I never once labeled him as a bad cop, a liar yes, but didn't say he was a bad cop. In more than just my eyes it has been rated as such except for you. He also went on to exceed the maximum speed limit by at least 10 miles an hour and talk on his cell phone and make several lane changes without signalling. None of which I really even complained about. So if you don't mind point out to me where I said he was a bad cop?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Now if you were pulled over and you really were wearing your seatbelt and the cop issued a citation to you anyway and stated that you were not wearing it and signed off on it, then he lied.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Now if you were pulled over and you really were wearing your seatbelt and the cop issued a citation to you anyway and stated that you were not wearing it and signed off on it, then he lied.

Our word is our bond to our fellow man and if our words mean nothing than neither do we.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Now I am not one to come on here and bash LEOS it just aint my bag because none of the bad cops would even show their hide here.
    I just took this sentence to mean as much...meaning "You don't usually come here to bash LEO's because the bad one's you are talking about are not here but this time you will." But based on your response, I was mistaken and for that I am sorry. I was not always an LEO, I remember the days I was a ticket magnet. I would get defensive and pissed about them. Then I realized that I earned every one and moved on. THOSE were pointable tickets, at least the seat belt has no points. Seat belts won't send to to defensive driving school like someone I know :shady:.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    While the officer might have simply just "changed his mind" about not writing the ticket after he said he wasn't going to, by doing so it certainly caused Snowman's opinion of the officer to be diminished.

Rinse & repeat a few million times with a few million citizens & you start to get an atmosphere of apprehension & distrust, see other thread for results.

Top Bottom