• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yesterday I was sick off work because I had a temperature of about 103 and didn't want to get everyone else at work sick. Decided to go have lunch with the wife and kids (since they stayed home with me.) After lunch and heading back home my youngest pulls his arms out of his car seat and decides to try and stand up. I look back at him in my rear view and also see blueberries and cherries in a stand by manner. I immediately pull to the side of the highway I was on to remedy the seat belt issue. After I am done fixing the seat belt I notice operational berries flickering away behind me so I step back to tell him what my challenge was and he points for me to stand to the rear and I do so.

He gets out is very understanding says he has kids and he knows when they are about that age and size to be changing to a different car seat that it happens a lot. He says he noticed I did not have a seat belt on to which I admitted to being lax in just having left the arbys not 100 yards from where we sat. He said well that being the case and the fact that I pulled over in concern to a child seat belt issue he was not going to ticket me just wanted to run my license and registration before he sent me on my way. I produced both and he saw my ltch and disregarded it. I got back in my car and thought wow I get to post a +1 on INGO woohoo my lucky day. At which point he returns to my car with a summons he told me he was not going to issue me. A little preturbed but otherwise unharmed I went about my way at which point he passed me doing 65 and talking on his cell phone. I was no longer preterbed and frankly kind of :xmad::wallbash:. Now I am not one to come on here and bash LEOS it just aint my bag because none of the bad cops would even show their hide here.

My question is how do you go from I am not going to write you up for such a minor thing as you showed responsibility to a child restraint to here is your summons see you in court but you already admitted to it. Before the usual questions I haven't had a seat belt ticket in almost two years, but I have had a couple.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    What exactly is the summons for? In my jurisdiction, a seatbelt is a simple $25 ticket. Send in the payment, no need to appear unless you want to drag one of our motorcycle officers (the only ones who ever write seatbelt tickets) to court to contest the ticket.

I will tell someone that I won't write them for the infraction that I stopped them for when that is truly my intention. If I say that, I will not go back on my word. There may be other issues that I must act upon that I discover during the course of the stop.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yeah its only 25 but its the lying that bothers me I have no problem with the summons although I will check for sure the ic he wrote on the ticket

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well, a child seatbelt violation requires an appearance in court. It is still just an infraction but the court wants to see that you have a child seat so bring it with you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My question is how do you go from I am not going to write you up for such a minor thing as you showed responsibility to a child restraint to here is your summons see you in court but you already admitted to it. Before the usual questions I haven't had a seat belt ticket in almost two years, but I have had a couple.
    He changed his mind...it happens.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How did your 27 come back?

That's kinda what I'm wondering, but honestly that was a dik move by the LEO. I've told people that I wasn't going to cite them before, and after running a 27, I find out "well dang, this chick got 10 warnings last month?" Nevertheless, I'll stand by my word and not cite. I have since learned not to typically say such things.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I have kept my nose clean for roughly a year now for everything. Only thing in recent history on my driving record is completion of defensive driving for receiving more than one infraction last year.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    dont talk to cops. everything you say can and will be used against you. heres another case to prove it. it has nothing to do with liking or not liking cops. nor respect or disrespect. if your rich, run your mouth

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I have kept my nose clean for roughly a year now for everything. Only thing in recent history on my driving record is completion of defensive driving for receiving more than one infraction last year.
    I would guess that's why he changed his mind right there. :dunno:
    Had you kept you nose clean for the past few years you might have had a different outcome.
    Just my :twocents:, if it's even worth that

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I would guess that's why he changed his mind right there. :dunno:
    Had you kept you nose clean for the past few years you might have had a different outcome.
    Just my :twocents:, if it's even worth that

Yes. Someone with a bad driving record (a pattern) is more likely to get a UTT than someone without,all things considered. But if I told someone that I was not going to give them a ticket (UTT) then their record would have to be pretty bad if I ended up doing so. I usually tell drivers if your record is good than I will be back in a few with a WW. I always ask about a drivers record. If they say yea mine is clean and it turns out it is not...well you get my drift.:twocents:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    It sucks but you didn't have your seat belt on and got a ticket for it. You broke the law and got caught pay it and move on. Sorry didn't see the LEOs only part. Disregard !

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah, I have only "changed my mind" a couple times that I can remember AND I still didn't write the citation. In Illinois, you have to fill out a "Traffic Stop Data Sheet" for every stop made. Date, Time, Reason for Stop, Age, Sex, Race, Address, Vehicle Make, Model, and Year. (It's for a racial profiling study).

Any way, I have told a couple people that I just had to take their info back to the car, run it, and fill the sheet out and they would be on their way with a warning.

Well, when they come back with warrants, I've got to take them in. But, I still don't cite them and usually ask the issuing agency to meet me so I don't have to tow their car.

I agree that it was a dick move by the cop.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    In Illinois, you have to fill out a "Traffic Stop Data Sheet" for every stop made. Date, Time, Reason for Stop, Age, Sex, Race, Address, Vehicle Make, Model, and Year. (It's for a racial profiling study).

:rolleyes: IL is dumb.

(Not the officer, but the fact that this is required in the first place)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    :rolleyes: IL is dumb.

(Not the officer, but the fact that this is required in the first place)

Yeah, it was supposed to be for one year but, yeah, like any other temporary thing they initiate, several years later, we are still doing it....

Top Bottom