• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you would be more cooperative you wouldn't get curb stomped so often.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Or just show him your ID?

I'm really not clear on how doing so is such a hindrance. Technically, you can completely ignore a cop under certain circumstances, but why escalate if you can be helpful? I wouldn't answer any questions, but identifying who you are doesn't incriminate anything.

I have little love for most modern cops, but making their job easier also makes your own life easier. I had a SWAT team come to the house looking for someone who hadn't been here in 5 years and two owners. They had a warrant. I accepted their word on the warrant. They searched the house, determined said person wasn't here, agreed to check the county tax records that I was owner in question, apologized and left.

Could I have made a stand at the door, called my attorney, read the warrant aloud beginning to end to ascertain validity, followed them around recording every movement? Probably. Would have that resolved a non-issue better than not hindering them? Doubtful.

"I've never heard of this person, they don't live here, are not here, I'm the owner since June 2016, we bought it from (renovator) who bought it at tax auction in 2014. To the best of my knowledge said person couldn't have been here since 2013 or before."

"We have a warrant to look for her and are coming in."

"Knock yourself out."

Yea, sorry. But that would be a no for me.
    I too have nothing to hide yadda yadda but no I'm not going to just stand aside and let them waltz into my house. Their warrant has nothing to do with me, they are welcome to leave.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by MichaelZWilliamson Or just show him your ID?

I'm really not clear on how doing so is such a hindrance. Technically, you can completely ignore a cop under certain circumstances, but why escalate if you can be helpful? I wouldn't answer any questions, but identifying who you are doesn't incriminate anything.

I have little love for most modern cops, but making their job easier also makes your own life easier. I had a SWAT team come to the house looking for someone who hadn't been here in 5 years and two owners. They had a warrant. I accepted their word on the warrant. They searched the house, determined said person wasn't here, agreed to check the county tax records that I was owner in question, apologized and left.

Could I have made a stand at the door, called my attorney, read the warrant aloud beginning to end to ascertain validity, followed them around recording every movement? Probably. Would have that resolved a non-issue better than not hindering them? Doubtful.

"I've never heard of this person, they don't live here, are not here, I'm the owner since June 2016, we bought it from (renovator) who bought it at tax auction in 2014. To the best of my knowledge said person couldn't have been here since 2013 or before."

"We have a warrant to look for her and are coming in."

"Knock yourself out."

Yea, sorry. But that would be a no for me.
    I too have nothing to hide yadda yadda but no I'm not going to just stand aside and let them waltz into my house. Their warrant has nothing to do with me, they are welcome to leave.

Imagine if you will:
    Your burnout bother-in-law left a roach in the ashtray in plain sight the last time he came by.
    You have no knowledge of it, but they see it.
    "honest ostifer: these aren't my pants!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Was thinking the same thing. How many comments from years old members with less than 10 posts?? Half a dozen probably?
    Strange time and thread for them all to come out with opinions on this...

. . . and hitting the specific buttons that will elicit specific responses.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Every week Texkev publishes a newsletter and this is at the top this week.

Each week old members say, OH! INGO! I'd forgot all about that. They sign in and post drivel, get blasted and remember why they left.

Leonidas

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Info

Was thinking the same thing. How many comments from years old members with less than 10 posts?? Half a dozen probably?
    Strange time and thread for them all to come out with opinions on this...

I’m guilty on this. I rarely comment on any blogs. These threads have been coming to my email recently and this one caught my eye. I carry firearms everyday for my job. My main comment on this particular conversation was pointing out that going out and open carrying can make you a target when I would assume you’d prefer to be part of the solution if a violent crime occurs. I have been assigned to different states and countries for that matter so my logic may not apply in every Indiana community. But you are kidding yourself if you don’t think violent criminals train and have some situational awareness. I would never give up the element of surprise in an armed encounter. If you’ve been there you know you need every advantage you can get, including luck. You carry a firearm with the mindset to use it for its intended purpose, not to look cool. When I see someone sitting in a restaurant with a gun hanging out I assume they have good intentions and mean well. The predators see the same thing I see and that gives them the upper hand on you. Not judging or preaching. Just food for thought.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I’m guilty on this. I rarely comment on any blogs. These threads have been coming to my email recently and this one caught my eye. I carry firearms everyday for my job. My main comment on this particular conversation was pointing out that going out and open carrying can make you a target when I would assume you’d prefer to be part of the solution if a violent crime occurs. I have been assigned to different states and countries for that matter so my logic may not apply in every Indiana community. But you are kidding yourself if you don’t think violent criminals train and have some situational awareness. I would never give up the element of surprise in an armed encounter. If you’ve been there you know you need every advantage you can get, including luck. You carry a firearm with the mindset to use it for its intended purpose, not to look cool. When I see someone sitting in a restaurant with a gun hanging out I assume they have good intentions and mean well. The predators see the same thing I see and that gives them the upper hand on you. Not judging or preaching. Just food for thought.

This really isn't the thread for that discussion. There is one that's been beat to death with every kind of argument for both sides that you can think of. Once a thread starts to go that direction we (the rest of the members) try to direct the conversation there because we know what it will devolve into. The topic ruins every single thread that it comes up in. Better to contain it in it's own thread when possible.

The point of my comment though is the amount of "new" old members that have hidden in the woodwork and just decided to come out today, and specifically for this part of the conversation. Sure, it's possible that one or even two are legitimate. Tax time is here, the runners are emerging and low count members are trying to inflate their post count. It's also a perfect time for shill accounts to jump on the bandwagon.

You may have a legitimate interest in this discussion, but I have serious doubt that ALL the years old with low post count members that have posted here do. If so, don't take it personally, for those of us that have been around several tax seasons this is expected. Shill accounts are fairly easy to spot as well.

Leonidas

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This really isn't the thread for that discussion. There is one that's been beat to death with every kind of argument for both sides that you can think of. Once a thread starts to go that direction we (the rest of the members) try to direct the conversation there because we know what it will devolve into. The topic ruins every single thread that it comes up in. Better to contain it in it's own thread when possible.

The point of my comment though is the amount of "new" old members that have hidden in the woodwork and just decided to come out today, and specifically for this part of the conversation. Sure, it's possible that one or even two are legitimate. Tax time is here, the runners are emerging and low count members are trying to inflate their post count. It's also a perfect time for shill accounts to jump on the bandwagon.

You may have a legitimate interest in this discussion, but I have serious doubt that ALL the years old with low post count members that have posted here do. If so, don't take it personally, for those of us that have been around several tax seasons this is expected. Shill accounts are fairly easy to spot as well.

I get the concern. I’m. It up on what the post count means. These INGO emails have recently been coming this me. So this caught my attention. I’ve said what I wanted to offer. No plan to derail the OP. At nearly 50 yrs I’m a little behind on the posting deal.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Your opinion is OK as opinions go. Can you appreciate that we do not want to discuss that in every thread, There is a thread that a couple of us posted earlier.

If you post in that thread you can have a good discussion with many of us that subscribe to that thread.

Believe me we are not trying to run you off. We need all the like minded gun owners. I do not mean that we agree on everything, just just the 2nd amendment in general.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I get the concern. I’m. It up on what the post count means. These INGO emails have recently been coming this me. So this caught my attention. I’ve said what I wanted to offer. No plan to derail the OP. At nearly 50 yrs I’m a little behind on the posting deal.

No need to vanish, no need to worry about post count. Stick around and join in when you can.

I've gotten those emails several times as well. Not sure what's up with them, when they started, or if there's an opt-out. I just created a filter in my email program to throw them into their own folder that I don't have notifications turned on for. That way I still can see what they are but not be bothered with them if I'm not home or doing something else. Most of the time they seem to be for a thread I'm already reading.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Hey, you are a kid around here. If you look through the forums I'm sure you will find a couple of threads you will be interested in. Pake a post here and there get to know us ask questions. Find a subject you like and start a thread. It is all good.

We are a semi-porous tightly knit COMMUNITY. We enjoy the conversation, we shoot together and eat together. You don't list where you are, we have members all over the state. There may be one of us within a few miles that you would enjoy meeting.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We are under new management as of the middle of 2016

[h=2]A new chapter for INGO[/h]https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/site-news-announcements/418932-new-chapter-ingo.html?418932=#post6660458

Texkev
    now pays the bills
    A while back he started the weekly news letter and it goes out to all members. This helps to bring in new old blood.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Well, stick around. I'm glad it caught your attention.
    Just because I may have disagreed with you, doesn't mean I don't want to hear from you.

Top Bottom