• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Had a question for you current or former military types. Any insight into 13F, forward observer? I was going to join the Army Reserves last year and put it off for employement reasons. Well, it's back on, I'm going to MEPS on Weds., to test and be checked out. I decided if I was going to join, I might as well go active and feel like I did something...I've reserved 13F, but I may have to re-reserve my job because of the "over 40 physical", takes a little longer to get some results back. So, I was just curious as to what insight is out there on this MOS? Yeah, I'm an older, but I'll go in as an E4 and looking to to 3yrs (which I'm sure will turn out longer!) Tentative ship is July 19th to Ft. Sills, for BT and AIT.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I worked with a few FO's before. I believe some work out of hummers but some walk. One thing about an MOS like that is you will just about always be attached to an Infantry, tanker, etc. unit. One thing I learned about guys who weren't infantry in an infantry battalion always seemed to have an inferiority complex and had something to prove.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well yes, I like to walk, and yes I like to "backpack", so maybe this will be a good fit. JT, there were other MOS available, just didn't tickle my fancy. I had wanted to do the Combat Medic route, but I think they're full up at the inn as it were. Plenty of Arty jobs, and some technical/computer stuff but I think I'd just be bored doing that. Deal is, I can't really wait for a job to open up because I've got to be in before I'm 42, so, I figured let's go for it. Thanks all for the feed back.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    The only thing I really know about 13F is you won't be as awesome as an 11B.

Just kidding....kinda. :D

Seriously though, it seems like a pretty cool MOS. You'll probably get to go to some "hooah" schools if you want and be attached to some high speed units. Congrats and good luck!!

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well the way I heard it described as being proverbial redheaded stepchild. You're in with infantry but artillery. There does seem to be opportunities for those "Hooah" units you talked about, Airborne, Air Assult, Rangers etc. I'm pumped about it, but I'm not sworn in yet. Thanks though!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Our FO or FSS wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but you're more often than not you will protected next to the guy with the radio. You have to be very good at map reading and land nav. You're the eyes on calling in artillery. So when my squad walks into a S*it storm you'd better be johnny on the spot with the radio, know exactly where we are at, and where to put the artie.. In Iraq you pretty much ride in the trucks, in Afgan... you walk with the rest of us...

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I used to live right outside Ft Sill....have fun, lol...the weather's not too bad this time of year, but just wait till July/August.....hope you like to sweat, lol...and watch out for the fire ants and rattler's too

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I hope I see you tomorrow, you wont care if I call you out as an INGO member will you??

This is my second trip to meps the first time, I did not have all my med docs and it was a disaster, I was supposed to have shipped about 2 months ago! So I am super ready to get the go ahead!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Isn't the FO the first one the enemy snipers look for when the arty rounds start falling?

Yeah, shoot the guy with the radio :)

Yeah like said above you have to be an expert in land nav and map reading...... think you are farther back then you are and call in the Arty on what you think is the enemy position and the shell's will be falling on you.

Big difference in backpacking and having a 75+ pound ruck on your back.

Good luck though regardless :).

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    i was 13f for 3 years. there are mobile infantry units that have special Bradley fighting vehicles to transport them. The vehicles have laser desingnators on them for laser guided weapons. You will be in the field ALOT. So don't plan on taking college courses while you are active. Great job though. PM me with any specific questions you have. Go Fisters!!!

Top Bottom