• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My daughter (child # 2, daughter #1) is in the midst of taking an EMT course at Ivy Tech. What is a good gift when she gets certified or the kind of equipment she would want to be hers personally?

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    We've been through this. Here's one, I'm working on a second recommendation (as soon as I can get my EMT son to respond to my text).

I’ll second this as my nephew has asked for these for Christmas before.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    P.S. Don't scrimp.

I wore the men’s version of that boot, with the zipper, when I was doing medical first responder/EMT stuff, I liked it a LOT. In fact I now wear desert tan versions of them just because they’re so comfortable and easy to get on and off.

But for a graduation gift I would go with either the stethoscope or the trauma shears.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    Medic here for 18 years. I'd also get her a stethoscope maybe with her initials engraved. Most of the places that sell them offer the engraving service.

Boots wear out, scissors get lost or they grow legs. She will be able to use a stethoscope throughout her career and even use it if she decides to go to medic school.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Stethoscope for my opinion also.

The Leatherman is serious gear but they will get blood or other bodily fluids on them. I know the typical issued shears can be disposed and replaced easily. Not so much the Leatherman. Pricey.

Boots with great insoles are better on the back, knees and hips. The insoles that come with the boots are okay but the aftermarket ones like green or orange stuff are better. That is a good consideration. They need replaced yearly because they do break down. Another thing is make sure the footwear is safe from any biohazard like plasma, blood, gasoline, oil, etc.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Leatherman shears made heavy duty. They have a good belt cutter on them and carbide glass breaker. Can be stored in its holster folded or unfolded. I believe they have orange and lime colored handle option to make it easier to keep track of.

She can carry it off work and use cheaper shears at work if loss/misplace is an issue.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    She passed the class in December and passed the written certification exam this past Tuesday. This Saturday is the skills test. I have no doubt she will pass. She has studied hard and practiced every chance she can get.

She went and bought her own stethoscope for class, so that's out.

I have bought her a nice set of SOG ParaShears which were highly reviewed.

Top Bottom