• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    So, I suspect that doing some studying to get the license first would be a good way to learn what type of equipment I want to invest my rapidly diminishing in value dollars, correct?
    Somewhat, the Tech license books tend to cater more toward VHF UHF stuff, even thought there's limited HF privileges, the general test pushes HF pretty heavily as you're moving into many more privileges, and the extra has a bit of everything in it; so the test books focus in that manner. The ARRL does an annual handbook that's a little more cross section in actually doing stuff instead of saying A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J is out there for you when you pass; but it's also big thick heavy as it gets into it instead of just touch on it and most people's natural interests are more narrow than what the book covers.

For SHTF situations I personally would want to have a multi-band SSB, HF setup and privileges and some experience operating in directed NTS nets and field day levels of traffic, if not actual emergency situations. To have VHF/UHF radios for long distane is a challenge, and while it can be fun to play with SHTF is not when I want to face that challlenge and most modern HF rigs have at least 2m if not 440 in them.

Ideally you'd supplement your station with battery backup to get you 12 hours or so and an alternate power source (generator with plenty of gas, solar, wind, etc.) to be able to hold out for a month or three following a big earthquake or several days after an extended ice storm, a decent base antenna is a good idea, but to have a wire dipole that you can toss between the trees if something happens to your normal antenna option is a good idea.

Picking a radio is a stab in the dark unless you've got some firends that you can try out or travel to an HRO or AES type place that'll display some for you and let you try before you buy. When I travelled to NH I was pleased to see HRO have just about every model they had in stock setup for demonstration. But even if you can't try them, there's tons of reviews out there on eham and other sites to get an idea of basic reputation.

And for anyone coming into this totally blind/new to radios, think of the ARRL as the NRA of ham radio, they do the education publications as well as a lot of lobbying and some other services for operators.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Thanks for the responses. My plan is to first learn the material, and then take the test. I have no interest in memorizing questions just so I can pass the test. To me, that's the same as getting a handgun and your LTCH, and carrying it every day without knowing how to use it. You can legally do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Bruenor -- I would read and do a basic study of the material, and then take the practice test until you are passing on a regular basis. You won't really learn the material until you are using it regularly. Get you ticket (license) and get on the air; lots of guys/gals out there to help you really learn how to use everything. Just my 2-cents. -- Greg

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Get your license. Your local emergency management person can probably use some extra help. I'd contact them.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    This is a good place to watch for used gear. I bought more than a few things off of here (my HF rig, some antennas that were for sale locally, etc)

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

Just keep an eye on it and be patient....

For "new", I've bought mostly from AES, although HRO and Universal Radio have also gotten some business from me.

Another site I like is DX Engineering - Antennas, Antenna Systems and High Quality Antenna Components!

Good luck with your studying and testing... and if you feel like youre bogging down, dont be bashful about asking people. All it takes is one person to put it in a way that "clicks" for you and you're off to the races again.

Hope everyone tagging gets a license, too! ;)

Glen
    NA5Z

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Thanks for the info, folks. It's been very helpful.
    I've found both Indy and Bloomington clubs close by. Now it's time to get cracking on the books.

There is a real good club in Franklin Indiana, and the Indianapolis Radio Club is another good club.

The Franklin club is Midstate Amateur Radio Club (MARC) and it is an ARRL affiliated club. They have testing every third Saturday of the month at about 9AM, walk ins are welcomed. They meet every third Saturday of the month at 8AM (good grief). They also have a 2m repeater on the air that covers almost the entire Johnson County area. The frequency is 146.835 Mhz with a PL of 151.4 Hz. Transmitter is off 135 in White River Township.

Don't buy anything until you have your license and a fellow amateur to help you out. A ham that helps other hams is called an Elmer, I have no idea why, but your Elmer will help you not buy the wrong stuff.

HF (High Frequency) is 30 Mhz and below, VHF is 30 Mhz up to 300 Mhz, UHF is 300Mhz to 3 Ghz. Around here most local activity is on HF and VHF, with some UHF traffic but not much.

2m FM is what most guys have in their cars and in their handhelds. (144 Mhz)

70cm FM is probably the next most popular for mobile/handheld (440 Mhz)

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Is there a single radio (receiver) that covers all three bands? I would like something to 'listen in' on news/events/emergencies without a small cupboard full of gear. I've looked at the YAESU FT-2900R but would like a much further listening range.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    There are many more than 3 bands.

Most mobile radios are VHF or UHF, Most of your emergency traffic will be on VHF (FT-2900) then on UHF. HF gear requires large antennas, example I am looking at 130 ft of wire for an 80 meter antenna in my attic. This is problematic when mobile. Screwdriver antennas work but efficiency would not be the best.

If you want a do it all base station look at the Kenwood TS-2000 for example. I have the Yaesu FT-857, its a do it all mobile radio, I use it as a base but it sits in a waterproof box ready to grab and go and run off battery, car dc, etc.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Is there a single radio (receiver) that covers all three bands? I would like something to 'listen in' on news/events/emergencies without a small cupboard full of gear. I've looked at the YAESU FT-2900R but would like a much further listening range.

The specs on the 2900R show: Four power levels are available: 75, 30, 10 and 5 watts. And weather channels are built in with Severe Weather Alert capability. The FT-2900R is MIL-STD 810 tough. You get extended receive from 136-174 MHz.

This radio is a VHF only radio. It will not cover shortwave (HF), or UHF, or the Microwave bands. That's why it's about $150 new.

So you need to decide what you want to listen to and then buy an appropriate radio. The Yaesu FT 817ND has receive (RX) Frequency Coverage of 100 kHz - 56 MHz; 76 - 154 MHz; 420 - 470 MHz - and can transmit on 160 - 10 Meters, 50 MHz, 144 MHz, 430-450 MHz but it only has 5 watts output. The rig is very small and can be easily mounted in the car/truck and runs about $600.00....you will of course need a wide range of antennas, even if for just receiving.

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    The Yaesu FT 817ND looks really nice. I would be using it as a base station, but the option to be portable is a plus. As far as an antenna goes, I have lots of attic space. Fitted with a proper antenna do you think the 817ND would have any problem receiving England or Europe? (From the YouTube videos it would seem not.)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Yaesu FT 817ND looks really nice. I would be using it as a base station, but the option to be portable is a plus. As far as an antenna goes, I have lots of attic space. Fitted with a proper antenna do you think the 817ND would have any problem receiving England or Europe? (From the YouTube videos it would seem not.)

If you are mainly interested in receiving, then you can do way better than Yaesu. Ten Tec makes some of the best receivers in the world.

You might be happier with what is known as a general coverage shortwave receiver. Typically these radios cover the HF frequencies pretty well, then a decent scanner can be used to cover the VHF/UHF/EHF bands. The higher the freq, the smaller the antenna needed. The higher the frequency, the shorter the distance too. Low frequency radio waves are better at penetrating solid objects...VLF is used to communicate with things underwater (or used to be).

The FT 857 is a great radio too by the way and does give you the 100w you might need for transmitting.

I am a CW only operator on HF, so I use low power most of the time. Like less than 10w.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Elecraft is great. Radios are worse than guns, I will have one some day.

I love my Elecraft radios, BUT they do NOT offer general coverage and I find myself wishing I had a good general coverage receiver from time to time. The shortwave bands don't have much worth listening to these days, but once in awhile I get itchy for the tuning knob and pulling in some remote obscure stations.

i had an old TS140S Kenwood radio, with general coverage receive that I used to use for listening to commercial AM broadcast band and general DX listening.

Every $25 you spend on improving your antenna is like spending $100 on an amplifier.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    This thread brings back many memories. Back in the "60s" I was into the electronics of the day. It was mostly vacuum tube technology then. Solid state (transistors) were just comming into the picture. I remember that to get a general license back then that you had to be able to draw different types of circuits. You also had to be able to send and recieve CW at 13 WPM. I could have passed the written part, because I was really intrested in the thory and I knew my vacuum tube technology. I just knew that I wouldn't be able to pass the test because I couldn't do the "code" and never really worked on it much. I wish now that I had done it then because the radios were a lot more fun to operate. Back then you had to know how to "load up" a transmitter to do what you wanted it to do. Plate voltage, grid current, etc are a thing of the past.

Oh just remembering the old days... To get a license these days is so much easier. Back then you had to know so much more. Someone with a general or higher license had the knowledge to build a radio from sctatch. It just isn't the same now.

Just sayin..:)

Top Bottom