Question for all police officers, deputies, troopers, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    officer ask's "do you know how fast you were going?'
    me "no"
    officer "ok then i can write what ever i want!"
    me "dammit"

the last time i was pulled over, the police offier asked why i was going over the speed limit, i replied that i was giving my daughters a lecture on respect, and was not paying attention to my speed, she said well, i was going to ignore your speed on the expressway, but as you turned onto the side street you gunned it thru the intersection and kept up the speed on the side street, i replied that the light stays short for a short time, and i wanted to let as many cars go thru as possible(i live in evansville i was turning from the westbound lloyd onto southbound vann ave, that light will change while the second car is moving into the intersection), she (the officer) said sit tight i'll be right back (i guess she ran my name) and said i respect you giving your daughters a lecture like that, slow down, don't do it again, i'm giving you a verbal warning, have a nice day

i might add that in all of the conversation, she called me sir, and i called her either officer, or mamm, and this was way before the epd bagan using button cams oh and btw she was quite hot!,

police officers have enough crap dealing with idiots!, i'm not going to make their job any worse by being "that guy", if i get pulled over, i roll my window down, put my hands on the steering wheel, and inform them if i am carrying my handgun,(i know i dont have to, but since i carry 4 o'clock iwb) why spook the cop if they see my gun while im reaching for my billfold?, always be polite!, you attract more fly's with honey than vineger!

in this day and age, the police being jbt's is going the way of the dodo, plus with the buttoncams that the police use, thats evidence for(or against) you and the police know it!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Solution: Stop speeding:):

I like a guy with a good sense of humor! Rest assured that I bill the drive time as if I was not speeding, so that's something.

...and no, I know it will not always work. Years ago, it did not work. However, I've found that with more gray on my temples, it works more often.

....and the "Am I detained" card. Great idea!

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I've never once asked someone "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I'd just tell them. "I'm Ptl. BBI, I need your license and registration, please." After I had that, I'd say, "the reason I stopped you is that you (insert infraction here) at (insert location here). Is there any reason for that?"

This. I'm not a big ticket jockey at all. If they have a decent reason for whatever infraction they have committed, and have a positive attitude I don't write them at all. My department isn't pushed for contacts or tickets. Most leo's I know are this way.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I use the verbal judo method, I introduce myself, give reason for the stop, and ask for justification. Then I ask for documents, advise them to sit tight and return to my car. The conversation is mostly me talking. I stop a lot of cars, but write few tickets, and seldom have any problems.

If someone failed to communicate with me it wouldn't deviate how I conduct a traffic stop by much as long as the documentation is provided.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I use the verbal judo method, I introduce myself, give reason for the stop, and ask for justification. Then I ask for documents, advise them to sit tight and return to my car. The conversation is mostly me talking. I stop a lot of cars, but write few tickets, and seldom have any problems.

If someone failed to communicate with me it wouldn't deviate how I conduct a traffic stop by much as long as the documentation is provided.
    You shall not see my papers! What is this, Nazi Germany???!?!?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Best story I.have heard came from a LEO that is a buddy of mine. He asked a guy why he was speeding. Fellow replied that he had a bad day at work, long shift and all he wanted to do was go home and have a beer. He stopped for a cold six pack and now it was getting warm in the back seat. My buddy said when he stopped laughing he didn't even write a warning he just let him go.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The correct response pull over method is this.

Hello, I'm officer John Doe with the Crapville Police Department. The reason why I pulled you over was "insert here". Where is you drivers license and registration sir? Please get your divers license registration and insurance card for me sir.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The correct response pull over method is this.

Hello, I'm officer John Doe with the Crapville Police Department. The reason why I pulled you over was "insert here". Where is you drivers license and registration sir? Please get your divers license registration and insurance card for me sir.

That's A way but my no means THE way.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Had a trouper pull me over when I was younger on N465. He walked up and ask me for my license to fly. I showed him my pilots license. He handed it back and walked away, never said a word. lol

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    STOPS is good stuff but, again, it's A way. I hate to get wrapped up in ONE way to do any given thing because if/when something goes sideways then you are forced out of your comfort zone and may be caught off guard.

ETA:
    If an officer is out doing traffic stops for the sake of doing traffic stops in suburbia then the way you describe is perfectly fine most of the time. An officer out actively looking for criminals in the inner city may take a slightly different approach. YMMV and you ARE encouraged to use your brain on any given stop. It's your life.....

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I am usually a pretty Grandpa type driver. Now there has been times where I kick it in high gear and every time I have been pulled over I was well deserving of being pulled over.

With that being said when I do get pulled over I first get over to a safe place for the officer. I don't really want him or me sitting on the side of the highway with idiots driving by at 60-80mph. Once I get stopped I turn my truck off and put my keys on the dash by the drivers window so he can see I not only turned the truck off but set the keys where he can see them. I try and get all my paperwork ready and have my hands at 10-2 when he walks up. Since I was obviously being and idiot and that is why he pulled my over I tell him I know why he pulled me over and apologize for my actions. Hand him my papers and wait for his decision on what to do about a ticket, after all Im the one that made the mistake.

My goal is to first and for most put the officer in a comfortable position, with where we are located, my vehicle being off, keys on the dash, hands on the wheel.

Secondly, the officer knows I know why he pulled me over. Why would I want to insult the intelligence of the person who is holding $100-$200 of my money ransom.

And lastly since I know what I did was wrong I apologize and take my consequence if handed to me.

Now this has worked both times, both times the officers were very nice and were both appreciative of my actions to make them comfortable and my honesty. I was doing 18 over and he gave me a verbal. Said "Thanks for your honestly, slow it down" then Rolled through a stop sign at 30+mph and the officer said. "Take it easy, someone could have been in your blind spot" and gave me a verbal warning.

I don't know if I would act the same way if officer dickhead came to the window but chances are better than not the the officer will be nice.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've never once asked someone "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I'd just tell them. "I'm Ptl. BBI, I need your license and registration, please." After I had that, I'd say, "the reason I stopped you is that you (insert infraction here) at (insert location here). Is there any reason for that?"

Clarification question: is the operator of a motor vehicle required to hand over those documents without having been informed why you stopped him?

Follow-up: if someone refused to give you the documents without first being informed of the reason for the stop, how would you proceed?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I only write tickets if the person is a douche. Most people aren't. You have every right to not answer any questions. I'll just blow you kisses and wink at you as I hand you your ticket. Have a nice day...and drive safely.
    See, You can write a ticket for someone being a douche but what recourse does the average Joe have when the LEO acts douchey? just sit there and take it. (is "douchey" a word?)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Clarification question: is the operator of a motor vehicle required to hand over those documents without having been informed why you stopped him?

Follow-up: if someone refused to give you the documents without first being informed of the reason for the stop, how would you proceed?

There is no statute that says a driver has to be informed why they were stopped before they have to identify themselves. I tell people why I stopped them so I don't get the refusal too often. If they continue to refuse to identify themselves they may face arrest, depending on how far they want to take it.

Top Bottom