Question for all police officers, deputies, troopers, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    The thread about Westfield PD brings this question to mind.

If you pull someone over for speeding (or some other minor infraction), walk up and ask the standard "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and the driver simply remains silent, how are you supposed to handle the stop? Do you simply ask for DL and registration? Let's assume you've asked for this and they ask why. You say why you pulled them over, they hand over the documents, but they sit there in silence to every question you ask them after that (whether it's about speed limit knowledge, weapons they might have, brake light out, etc.). How are you trained to handle the stop when they sit there in silence?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think Frank & Denny (INGOers) usually give wet-willies to the drivers. You know - to break the ice.

Just gotta watch them to be sure it's a finger...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What Frank said. The questions I ask of a driver on a traffic stop are asked for several reasons, among them being whether or not I will give a ticket or a warning. If you want to play the silent-Sam game then that's up to you, but you will be getting a ticket from me.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    What Frank said. The questions I ask of a driver on a traffic stop are asked for several reasons, among them being whether or not I will give a ticket or a warning. If you want to play the silent-Sam game then that's up to you, but you will be getting a ticket from me.

Nothing wrong with that.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute

Perfectly acceptable. I understand training will vary from department to department. Let's say the driver answers all traffic realted questions (even if answer is I don't know), but is silent, or states, "I don't see how that's relevant to the stop" to any questions of weapons, drugs, or any other questions you ask.

I don't get pulled over much (knock on wood), but in the past, I've always been respectful and honest. I'm curious as to what your training is, since a lot of people here seem to advise everyone to remain silent or say, "nothing illegal" in reference to questions on weapons.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi

Same here, all warnings are now out of the question.

I normally don't ask about weapons because I treat everyone as they are armed. I have had a few tell me up front they were armed, all I said was thank you and drive carefully and gave them a verbal warning.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

But...but...but...what if you pull me over?

I'll do my best remember to put my finger in my nose and stare at you blankly... :D

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Since I've never been blessed enough to have been given a warning previously that is pretty much an empty threat. :laugh:

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    On the rare occasion that I have been pulled over (Knock on wood) since I like to follow all traffic rules, and speed limits, I have been courteous and non-argumentative. When I have been issued a citation, I have signed the citation and said thanks to the officer and for him to stay safe. And each and every time no matter what I have NEVER answered to an affirmative to carrying a weapon if asked.

Gunner

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you. Don't admit to breaking any laws, don't admit to running late for work/etc and say you were in a hurry. All this is taken down by the officer and used if you try to fight the ticket. Be friendly, be courteous, don't be chatty.

If you get the ticket, you get a lawyer, pay a little extra and get it reduced.

And if you don't speed, you don't get pulled over, this is the cheapest option.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    There used to exist a term called "common courtesy".

Being the "perp", I've found that's generally enough to get me either a verbal or written warning.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    When I get pulled over this is how he conversation goes:

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?

me: silent

officer: staring at me waiting for a reply

me: what the **** are you staring at? You have never seen an a-hole before?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you. Don't admit to breaking any laws, don't admit to running late for work/etc and say you were in a hurry. All this is taken down by the officer and used if you try to fight the ticket. Be friendly, be courteous, don't be chatty.

If you get the ticket, you get a lawyer, pay a little extra and get it reduced.

And if you don't speed, you don't get pulled over, this is the cheapest option.

Don't get wrapped around that "words" are all that can be used against you. Your driving behavior is why you were stopped and thats all I reasonably need for a conviction. Dont forget that your actions and demeanor are just as evidentiary as your words.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Don't get wrapped around that "words" are all that can be used against you. Your driving behavior is why you were stopped and thats all I reasonably need for a conviction. Dont forget that your actions and demeanor are just as evidentiary as your words.

In other words we should do what Kirk says and blow lots of kisses?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never once asked someone "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I'd just tell them. "I'm Ptl. BBI, I need your license and registration, please." After I had that, I'd say, "the reason I stopped you is that you (insert infraction here) at (insert location here). Is there any reason for that?"

Top Bottom