Question for all police officers, deputies, troopers, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I've never once asked someone "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I'd just tell them. "I'm Ptl. BBI, I need your license and registration, please." After I had that, I'd say, "the reason I stopped you is that you (insert infraction here) at (insert location here). Is there any reason for that?"

That's my MO as well.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I've never once asked someone "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I'd just tell them. "I'm Ptl. BBI, I need your license and registration, please." After I had that, I'd say, "the reason I stopped you is that you (insert infraction here) at (insert location here). Is there any reason for that?"

Every time I've ever been pulled over, I've been asked if I know why.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The last time I was pulled over, it was for a fishing expedition. The officer was hoping for a DUI. When it was obvious that I hadn't had a drop to drink, he graciously let me off with a warning.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As long as they provide their name or DL I just issue a ticket. If the driver doesn't want to talk thats fine, but it doesn't give me any reason to give them a warning.

What Frank said. The questions I ask of a driver on a traffic stop are asked for several reasons, among them being whether or not I will give a ticket or a warning. If you want to play the silent-Sam game then that's up to you, but you will be getting a ticket from me.
    That's fair and right. Can't ask for a better Leo interaction. I'm being serious. I'll remain silent besides basic courtesy.
    if it was one of you guys or another Leo that I knew then of coarse I would talk.
    Otherwise I'm claiming 'citizen safety' and keeping my trap shut. I want to go home at night :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The last time I was pulled over, it was for a fishing expedition. The officer was hoping for a DUI. When it was obvious that I hadn't had a drop to drink, he graciously let me off with a warning.
    Yeah How gracious of that publi servant to let you off with a warning and not lie and say you were drunk. That's the reason I would stay silent. The majority do their jobs correctly and serve the public and their community as ambassadors by not being dicks and going the extra mile. Some others try to instigate and are in the wrong line of work. I don't want to chance it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Does anyone ever say that you have an odd name?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I bought a car once that had questionable speedometer accuracy. One night going home I was overtaking a leo and started to back off then decided to see if the speedo was truly off. As I passed the cop car he flashed his spotlight at me, then when I passed him he lit me up. During the initial conversation he asked me what my first thought was when he spotted me, I asked him "honestly"? He responded "honesty is the best policy". I told him my first thought was what the **** is this *******'s problem!! He stared at me sternly for a moment and then busted out laughing! He said that was the first honest answer he had ever had, told me to get the speedo fixed and let me go!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and the driver simply remains silent

Remain silent and . . . and . . . blowing kisses!

1. It's just a traffic infraction relax, it's not a crime. You know how dogs sense fear? If you are spun up, then what is 24 year old Deputy Pukemeyer? Right, spun up too.

Don't be stupid, you aren't doing anything criminal since you have your Larry to carry.

2. Keep your baconhole shut. Don't be blurting out stuff. Don't play 20 questions. Don't tell him that your third cousin's dog is the Town Marshal in Gnawbone.

Your county's jail is FULL of people who would not shut up. No, really that is why they are there. Shut up.

3. He wants to see the papers, show him the papers.

4. He wants you out of the car? Get out of the car.

5. He wants to play CSI? Am I free to go? If yes, go. If no, don't go.

6. Keep your ride clean. Outside and inside. Don't want to be hunted? Stop looking like prey.

7. Oh, yeah, remember reading in Boston T. Party's wookiebook about running back to the police car? Yeah, don't do that! Stay in the car, relax, you are not going to jail. It's just speeding or a turn signal or you rolled a stop sign. All that nonsense we can divert or talk the DPA out of prosecuting since you have a clean driving record. It's just a traffic ticket.

Everyone relax, it's just a stupid infraction or ordinance violation.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The thread about Westfield PD brings this question to mind.

If you pull someone over for speeding (or some other minor infraction), walk up and ask the standard "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and the driver simply remains silent, how are you supposed to handle the stop? Do you simply ask for DL and registration? Let's assume you've asked for this and they ask why. You say why you pulled them over, they hand over the documents, but they sit there in silence to every question you ask them after that (whether it's about speed limit knowledge, weapons they might have, brake light out, etc.). How are you trained to handle the stop when they sit there in silence?

I don't ask if they know why I pulled them over. I tell them. While I was at the academy, we were told of case where a murderer was stopped by an officer who asked that, and the guy killed him on the spot. When they caught up with the guy he said he shot the officer because he thought the officer pulled him over and asked that question because "he knew" that he was wanted for murder. Lots of wanted bad guys, if stopped, play the "does he know? maybe he doesn't" game.

But otherwise, depending on the stop, I might call for another officer and have the guy exit the car as I hand over the ticket. I would kinda like to size up the guy to make sure he's not intoxicated, or something else isnt going on that I may have missed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't ask if they know why I pulled them over. I tell them. While I was at the academy, we were told of case where a murderer was stopped by an officer who asked that, and the guy killed him on the spot. When they caught up with the guy he said he shot the officer because he thought the officer pulled him over and asked that question because "he knew" that he was wanted for murder. Lots of wanted bad guys, if stopped, play the "does he know? maybe he doesn't" game.

But otherwise, depending on the stop, I might call for another officer and have the guy exit the car as I hand over the ticket. I would kinda like to size up the guy to make sure he's not intoxicated, or something else isnt going on that I may have missed.
    Last paragraph: I think your the type of cop I fear I'll get pulled over by. What's your reason besides fishing or retaliation for me knowing my right to stay silent to pull me out of the car? Sure I'll comply but I won't play any of your dog and pony show games nor would I even speak

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Last time I was stopped, they ran a field sobriety test on me (was tired, coming from designated driver duty and a friend's birthday, was out pretty much all night).

Officer: Can you recite the alphabet backwards for me, look at my light...
    Me: (recites alphabet backwards, actually pretty well, adds on "tell me what you think of me..." at the end)
    Officer: (looks up and stares...)
    Me: Do you want me to walk the line next or the finger/nose touch?
    Officer: Not necessary (writes in some pad)
    Me: Want to watch me do a backflip? (goofy smile, almost child like impish grin)
    Officer: Not required as part of the field sobriety test sir. Please sit in your car, stay warm, I'll return your license and papers here in a minute...

Had a Clermont cop (Indiana's largest self sufficient speedtrap!!) get mad b/c he asked if I had any illegal weapons in the car. I responded no (as I had no illegal weapons in the car). Next thing I know, he unsnapping retention and asking me to keep my hands where he can see them, NOW. (hands never left the wheel or moved even). He begins tirade about the Ruger on my hip. I retorted with, "well, you asked about illegal weapons, I have a license to carry and the Ruger SP101 doesn't fall within Indiana or Federal guidelines for an illegal weapon." Got a verbal warning that trip...

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the backward alphabet test is not part of the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests as outlined by NHTSA.

The three tests that are part of the SFSTs are the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN), the 9 Step Walk and Turn, and the One Leg Stand.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Here's looking at you, kid.

Optokinetic_nystagmus.gif

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    the backward alphabet test is not part of the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests as outlined by NHTSA.

The three tests that are part of the SFSTs are the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN), the 9 Step Walk and Turn, and the One Leg Stand.

I bet most times before you even start the test you know if you got yourself a winner

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I bet most times before you even start the test you know if you got yourself a winner

I don't want to waste my time with SFSTs unless I am reasonably certain that I am dealing with an impaired driver. The HGN test is the most telling of the three and it's impossible to "get good" at it thereby fooling the test administrator.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom