Question for all police officers, deputies, troopers, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I fully understand the citation is for the infraction. You've missed my point that the officer decides whether to issue a ticket or warning based on whether the person is respectful or a jerk. However, the cop is free to be respectful or a complete dick and it has no bearing on the decision of whether the ticket sticks or is thrown out
    That may be my post you're referring to. I generally don't write tickets for minor infractions because I know for the average Joe it's just a financial burden.

For the record, I'm always respectful. It's expected of me. I don't ask the person I pull over to be respectful...they don't know me. And I've done nothing up to that point to earn their respect. I'm fairly certain they are likely less than thrilled they may be getting a ticket.

Just don't act like a douche and you'll drive off with a warning. If I act like a douche I assure you, I'll hear it from my bosses...of which there are many.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I fully understand the citation is for the infraction. You've missed my point that the officer decides whether to issue a ticket or warning based on whether the person is respectful or a jerk. However, the cop is free to be respectful or a complete dick and it has no bearing on the decision of whether the ticket sticks or is thrown out
    Yup. Life's not fair.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Here's how it normally goes for me when I am pulled over -

Officer walks up to the car and immediately says: I am declaring you the winner of the road race. If you will give me your license, registration and proof of insurance, I will go back to my car and write up your winners certificate and you can be on your way.

Me: Okay... Here they are... I thought you were pulling me over because I ran that stop sign AGAIN.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield

You're stating the obvious. I don't careif its a cop or the guy taking my order at Burger King, if I'm a jerk to them they'll probably treat me different. What's the big surprise here. I would absolutely say somebody being a jerk or not could be a factor in getting a ticket or a warning. And if an officer is a jerk to you , you can certainly file a complaint. More and more departments have in-car cameras.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Anyone who has discretion in a decision that impacts you can usually choose somewhere between what they can do for you or what they have to do for you. There can be a big difference between the two. Your attitude can influence that choice for them. Cop, Judge, waitress, boss...etc. It's just the way things be.

Usually a good idea to be kind to folks until they give you a reason not to.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The three tests that are part of the SFSTs are the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN), the 9 Step Walk and Turn, and the One Leg Stand.

I don't want to waste my time with SFSTs unless I am reasonably certain that I am dealing with an impaired driver. The HGN test is the most telling of the three and it's impossible to "get good" at it thereby fooling the test administrator.

Do you have glassy, bloodshot eyes, smell of alcohol coming from your person, and inability to multi task? Also, with alcohol, we look for nystagmus in both eyes, "at maximum deviation", and "onset prior to 45 degrees". Which means you follow my pen movement from left to right and I will see lack of smooth pursuit. Then I hold your eyes all the way to one direction to see nystagmus, then I will move your eyes and see if nystagmus shows up prior to 45 degree angle to the shoulder. Random nystagmus indicates a medical problem. You'll be fine,

I have rotary nystagmus that gets even worse if I'm required to focus on a fixed object/point and follow it side to side. It's even worse than that if I'm holding my gaze for more than 1.5 seconds in either direction. I bet I'd fail LOL

Wanted to add:

officer: Hello. I stopped you for speeding. Can I have your license and registration?
    me: sure (hands them over)
    officer: Thanks. Do you know how fast you were travelling ?
    me: no, I was hoping you know since you are the one with the radar gun.

:cool:

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I dont make to many traffic stops but when i do i introduce myself, ask for their information and briefly explain why i stopped them. We are very busy on east district middle shift and i rarely get to run traffic. that being said last traffic stop i made was on a young female who tried to whip around a bus failing to see me in the middle lane and ran me into oncoming traffic. Needless to say i was miffed. I walked up to her and she was crying, full out balling. Through her tears she stated she was very sorry and had been having a horrible day. I asked her to please step out of her vehicle. She complied. I gave her a hug and asked her to please drive safe. She was still crying when i left but was smiling. I hope i made her day better.

Top Bottom