• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I had to make the hard decision to have one of our dogs put to sleep today. Remi was an 8 or 9 year old Chocolate Lab that we rescued two years ago. When we got her she was full of heart worms. The vet said that it was the worst case she had seen. The damage to her heart is what eventually brought her to an early end. We had a couple of good years with her.

Ive lost pets before, and I believe that I did the dog a kindness by having her put down. My wife on the other hand had an absolute meltdown. Im not a cold hearted bastard, I shed some good tears over the dog, but my wife was wailing and screaming, convinced that we were murdering the dog before her time. (The dog hadnt eaten voluntarily since last Thursday, and she just laid in her kennel 22 hours a day) Any sign of energy or tail wagging would convince her that the dog was fine and by us keeping her around we could save her.

So, the old lady is not talking to me, and I'm convinced she's off her rocker. Its pretty frustrating.

Also frustrating is the fact that the vet who was treating her for her heart ailment wanted close to $150 to put her down...plus another $30 if we wanted to be present. A pet burial service wanted $170 to cremate her. Thank god for a good ol' country vet who did it for $35 and I dug the hole in the back yard myself.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm sorry to here this bro, losing a family member is never easy.

You most certainly did the right thing though, your wife's just really upset right now, for good reason.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i got a german shepard when i was 10. she was 2yrs old when i got her. i had to put her down when i was 25. the dog was 17yrs old and had lived her life. my father left the decision to me weather to put her down or not. i decided not to. i could not do it. when you live in the middle of the country with no neibors your age your dog is your best friend. 1 week after i decided not to the dog got a twisted intestine and i made the right choice the second time but ive always felt bad that i wasn't strong enough to put her down 1 week earlier and dave her the painful week.

defintally the hardest decision ive ever made. i feel for you bud

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Tell your wife that what time you did give the dog is to be treasured, but if the dog is miserable, then sometimes this needs to be done. We had a cat once (I hate cats) that my wife had to have put down. I even was upset because I actually liked the cat. He and I tolerated each other....

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Thanks for your replies.

Myself, I have no doubts that I did the right thing. Its a no-brainer. If you love the pet, you have to do right by them at the end.

What I'm having a harder time with is dealing with the wife. As much as I hate to say this, I thought I was going to have to slap her to get her to control herself. (It worked in all those 1950's movies) She was absolutely flipping out, to the point where she was interfering with my ability to drive. She went straight to bed after we got home, so I buried the dog and all that. When I was finished she went out in the dark and laid next to the grave for an hour.

Maybe I am a heartless bastard in that I give up at this point. I'm not the type to coddle her.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for your replies.

Myself, I have no doubts that I did the right thing. Its a no-brainer. If you love the pet, you have to do right by them at the end.

What I'm having a harder time with is dealing with the wife. As much as I hate to say this, I thought I was going to have to slap her to get her to control herself. (It worked in all those 1950's movies) She was absolutely flipping out, to the point where she was interfering with my ability to drive. She went straight to bed after we got home, so I buried the dog and all that. When I was finished she went out in the dark and laid next to the grave for an hour.

Maybe I am a heartless bastard in that I give up at this point. I'm not the type to coddle her.

If she is like me or my wife just let her be for a while....... my wife and I are people that when mad you just let be fore a while and after a while we calm down.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Prayers sent for your pain, and frustration.
    On a lighter note... Thank God your a Country Boy.

Heh, well, a recent convert, anyways. Born and bred in Da Region, but we found our little slice of heaven down in So. IN and are working at it.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Give her space and let her grieve. Later, ask her if she even considered how YOU flet and some support from her would have been nice....

Either way, you did the right thing I think.

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Definately a tough thing to do but it sounds like you owed it to the dog and did the right thing. good choice. :twocents:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    we all grieve in our own way.
    Questioning if it was the right thing to do or could I have saved them if I let it go on longer is normal behavior.

It has been just over 5 mths since we had to put our second dog down in 7 mths. I say the second because I was closer to her. I still have my days where I question what I did. Was it time etc. I still cry for both, more for her. On my good days I know I did it right, I know Honey was ready and she isn't suffering. Right now I am going through the "Did I do the right thing" again. The good days out weigh the bad days now.

Give her time. it will get better.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My wife works at a veterinary clinic and the doctor that owns the practice always says putting down a dog in distress is the last kind act you can do for the animal. It is very true. My condolences...

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    So sorry for your loss. Give your wife some time. she will come around and understand that you had to do the right thing for the dog. It' hard to have to put down a family member. Been there many times in my life and it never gets any easier. You just had to do the right thing for the animal.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Hey Scarnucci -

Condolences and prayers for you and your wife... Sorry for your loss, and I hope things get better down there on the place. Tough call to make - undoubtedly you made the right call. Hang in there, sir...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I had to make the hard decision to have one of our dogs put to sleep today. Remi was an 8 or 9 year old Chocolate Lab that we rescued two years ago. When we got her she was full of heart worms. The vet said that it was the worst case she had seen. The damage to her heart is what eventually brought her to an early end. We had a couple of good years with her.

Ive lost pets before, and I believe that I did the dog a kindness by having her put down. My wife on the other hand had an absolute meltdown. Im not a cold hearted bastard, I shed some good tears over the dog, but my wife was wailing and screaming, convinced that we were murdering the dog before her time. (The dog hadnt eaten voluntarily since last Thursday, and she just laid in her kennel 22 hours a day) Any sign of energy or tail wagging would convince her that the dog was fine and by us keeping her around we could save her.

So, the old lady is not talking to me, and I'm convinced she's off her rocker. Its pretty frustrating.

Also frustrating is the fact that the vet who was treating her for her heart ailment wanted close to $150 to put her down...plus another $30 if we wanted to be present. A pet burial service wanted $170 to cremate her. Thank god for a good ol' country vet who did it for $35 and I dug the hole in the back yard myself.

Another $30 for you to be present?? What a heartless JERK of a Vet!

You did the right thing. The wife will come around.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,
    It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close,we two, these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown​
    I still have this on the wall of my office from almost 7 years ago when we had to put our Cocker Spaniel down. It took my wife almost a year to get over it. Hope it helps.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Another $30 for you to be present?? What a heartless JERK of a Vet!

You did the right thing. The wife will come around.

Effing ridiculous.:xmad:

I would like someone to explain to me how you being present in the room as you comfort your best friend, while he takes his last breath would be an inconvenience to the vet.

An extra thirty bucks? They might as well ask for a slap across your face instead.

Top Bottom