• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Better yet, make sure Mitch knows about this when you're deciding whether to make that annual John Purdue club donation. If these professors still have jobs, I'd be withholding further financial support.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As a Purdue grad, former faculty, and just a normal human.... this sickens me. The faculty should be ashamed.

On the flip side - students are too much like sheep. Get up, walk out, and take responsibility for your own well-being. Assuming you live through the emergency, you can take your instructor's behavior up with the Dean.

And from what I've gathered, Chief Cox is simply a cog in the machine.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Chief Cox is the face to opposition to campus carry. Remove him as a political force and we have campus carry.

Purdue is a perfect rally point for campus carry. PUPD needs to be beaten like a drum, politically.

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    Wow!! I would have left class and dealt with the professor later if needed. Shocking these professors took this so lightly given the other school shootings that have occurred.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Shocking these professors took this so lightly given the other school shootings that have occurred

Shocking? Not really. Have to understand the CLAM mentality though.

What conclusions can we draw politically from the actions of (certain) Purdue professors?

1. Purdue will NOT protect you.

2. Chief Cox will NOT protect you.

3. Murderers are drawn to police-approved slaughter pens.

4. Only you can protect you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why is Kirk on INGO talking this up, instead of filing a lawsuit against the offending institution?
    Scouting for a Purdue student that was impacted by this, maybe?

I'm drafting letters to My Man Mitch and the Alumni office. I can't in good conscience support a University that behaves this way. Address the faculty behavior, and allow students to be responsible adults (carry where legal), and I may consider further financial support.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why is Kirk on INGO talking this up, instead of filing a lawsuit against the offending institution?

This is political, not legal (no one was injured, thank goodness).

This report is the punch we need to cut through the BS that "Purdue will protect you".

In loco parentis just got its ass kicked.

As to where I need to be, in front of the General Assembly testifying, not litigating at Purdue.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As a Purdue grad, former faculty, and just a normal human.... this sickens me. The faculty should be ashamed.

On the flip side - students are too much like sheep. Get up, walk out, and take responsibility for your own well-being. Assuming you live through the emergency, you can take your instructor's behavior up with the Dean.

And from what I've gathered, Chief Cox is simply a cog in the machine.

Or just get up, go to the doors and lock them, turn out the lights yourself. Not sure I would want to leave though. Not knowing where a shooter or shooters might be located is bad enough. Being mistaken for the shooter? No thanks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is political, not legal (no one was injured, thank goodness).

This report is the punch we need to cut through the BS that "Purdue will protect you".

In loco parentis just got its ass kicked.

As to where I need to be, in front of the General Assembly testifying, not litigating at Purdue.

I was just going to say "for what?", but sure, your explanation works too.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So let me get this straight. A Professor didn't make the students stay locked up like fish in a barrel, thus giving the students the freedom to vacate the classroom and seek out there own means of escape. Sounds like the Professors did the right thing to me. Lord knows if someone wanted in a locked room, they can get in, and turning the lights off just sounds silly.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So let me get this straight. A Professor didn't make the students stay locked up like fish in a barrel, thus giving the students the freedom to vacate the classroom and seek out there own means of escape. Sounds like the Professors did the right thing to me. Lord knows if someone wanted in a locked room, they can get in, and turning the lights off just sounds silly.
    Actually, they DID make them stay - in an unlocked room with the lights on and plenty of noise from the instructor. The noise being wise-cracks about the ongoing emergency. They used their authority as the instructor to continue the class as if no one was outside dying.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Actually, they DID make them stay - in an unlocked room with the lights on and plenty of noise from the instructor. The noise being wise-cracks about the ongoing emergency. They used their authority as the instructor to continue the class as if no one was outside dying.

^^^This. Their indignation on the whole matter is sickening. By all means, crack jokes and make fun of your students whilst a young person is being killed. Idiots.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So let me get this straight. A Professor didn't make the students stay locked up like fish in a barrel, thus giving the students the freedom to vacate the classroom and seek out there own means of escape. Sounds like the Professors did the right thing to me.

You have it inverted, not straight.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Locking the doors would have been better than what they did. I know this is a university, and may not be comparable, but in school shootings, as in high school on down, there has not to my knowledge ever been a shooter that breached or attempted to breach a locked door.

In my humble opinion, given the seriousness of the situation, if these professors did indeed ignore security procedures, they should be suspended immediately and lose their jobs.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'm just saying, that with no doors locked, the adults could have left and sought safer grounds at there own will. No one forced them to stay in a room with the lights on, with unlocked doors. Lets throw some personal responsibility in this whole scenario. I am not seeing anywhere in the Purdue Student Handbook where a Professor has the authority to detain adults. Granted many are quick to blame professors because they are seen to be somehow the overseer of the students, but in reality, they are all just adults and completely capable of making there own decisions.

Top Bottom