Public schools, why are we still using them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I frequently read "conservative" parents opining about the awful state of education in public (government) schools. They say they have no control over the local school boards anymore and even when they elect good representatives, the superintendents cave to the state and the state caves to the feds. People object to what is taught in history classes, what is taught in science classes, sex ed, what books they read in English classes, eventually young men will be dominating young women's sports and on and on.

How much more corrupt does the organization have to be before people leave en masse? I'm constantly baffled at this, especially when folks who claim to be conservative, keep using this voluntary government education system. We don't like when people claim victim status right?

Then again I know libertarians who take welfare, so anything goes.
    • Have you been able to positively affect your local public school?
    • I often hear especially from the country folks "our school isn't like that", but when you peel back the layers, it is, it just has some trappings of the old days.
    • What was the last straw for you? When did you take control of the education of your children? What has your experience been?
    “We cannot continue to send our children to Caesar for their education and be surprised when they come home as Romans.” Voddie Baucham

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm glad I have no interest in having kids.

One of the many reasons is school is just terrible.

That roman quote is quite chilling in how accurate.

My nephew's wife is quite young, about to graduate from bloomington (what ever college down there)
    Her views are quite misguided.
    She even was putting pressure in my nephew to get rid of his guns and a few other crazy things. But thankfully not covid restrictions she has been home more and is deprogramming from some of those views.

It's scary how crazy the views are being spoon fed to them.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The parents in my community are, from my point of view, quite content with the public school system. I should disclose the school system in my community is rated either number one or two in the state based on state standards. This enables both parents, in many cases, to work at high paying jobs, so they can afford to drive Teslas and live in half million dollar homes. Their children are given a chance for elective classes in yoga and poetry as part of the curriculum.

Out of this school system, with the assistance and promotion from the Democrat mayor, comes school aged children who competed to have their design adorn a large telephone exchange box at the main entrance to our town. I’ll leave it to public comment.

Attachments

• AFA06F80-1610-4991-AB48-A09E73305E48.jpeg
      AFA06F80-1610-4991-AB48-A09E73305E48.jpeg
      17.3 KB · Views: 7
    • D4787979-E93B-43E8-AEF4-5CEB79E0A04B.jpeg
      D4787979-E93B-43E8-AEF4-5CEB79E0A04B.jpeg
      45.7 KB · Views: 7
    • 8038A581-D710-4360-9839-EF97661B3BFC.jpeg
      8038A581-D710-4360-9839-EF97661B3BFC.jpeg
      26.9 KB · Views: 7

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    The parents in my community are, from my point of view, quite content with the public school system. I should disclose the school system in my community is rated either number one or two in the state based on state standards. This enables both parents, in many cases, to work at high paying jobs, so they can afford to drive Teslas and live in half million dollar homes. Their children are given a chance for elective classes in yoga and poetry as part of the curriculum.

Out of this school system, with the assistance and promotion from the Democrat mayor, comes school aged children who competed to have their design adorn a large telephone exchange box at the main entrance to our town. I’ll leave it to public comment.
    Government schools being given top ratings by the government has always amazed me.

It's like Chevrolet giving a Chevrolet dealer an award.

The "high performing" public schools used as almost private schools by the rich are certainly a route to the right colleges, degrees, and careers but that does not make those future adults actually educated well.

Something about worshipping the wrong god.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I don't have much choice as a single father. Working 50 hours a week and taking care things around the house doesn't leave much time to teach a second grader.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I work as a teachers aide in a local High School, have all the students that get in trouble. I enjoy the challenge.
    First before you blame the schools look at the home life of the students.
    -One or no parents, living with relatives or grandparents or even friends.
    -No adult example to follow.
    -Way too much time spent with social media.
    -No schedule of sleep/eating/school.

Had more than one student say they found a parent dead from drugs.
    Had parents show up at the school who behaved worse than their children and refused any actions to forward the students education. Many of them have been incarcerated.
    See students at work in Walmart/fast food places during the school day when they should be online with their teachers.

Seeing this from the inside I have found the administration and teachers going to great lengths to help the students. How about a principal that you see going without a lunch to help with math? Teachers staying late to accommodate a student retaking a test.
    Now with online learning, they have teams that visit them at home to check up on students.
    Want to play a sport? How about coaches giving up their free time to tutor a player?

There is a definite need to improve what is taught, but hat is a small issue compared to what is really necessary.
    The good news is the kids with problems are a small percentage of the total. They are teenagers, normal teen things going on. The majority are fine and will be our future.

Don

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I work as a teachers aide in a local High School, have all the students that get in trouble. I enjoy the challenge.

Had parents show up at the school who behaved worse than their children and refused any actions to forward the students education. Many of them have been incarcerated.
    See students at work in Walmart/fast food places during the school day when they should be online with their teachers.

Seeing this from the inside I have found the administration and teachers going to great lengths to help the students. How about a principal that you see going without a lunch to help with math? Teachers staying late to accommodate a student retaking a test.
    Now with online learning, they have teams that visit them at home to check up on students.
    Want to play a sport? How about coaches giving up their free time to tutor a player?

There is a definite need to improve what is taught, but hat is a small issue compared to what is really necessary.
    The good news is the kids with problems are a small percentage of the total. They are teenagers, normal teen things going on. The majority are fine and will be our future.

Don
    Many good folks working within bad institutions.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Public charter schools offer an option if you happen to have one in your area. They often provide a quality education without teaching children to hate their country and at no out of pocket cost. I wonder why the government schools hate them so much.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana

Don
    My wife works in the office of a high school. You are definitely right about home lives. As much as she would love to able to smack some kids, when you meet the parents you can see why they act the way they do.
    I spent one year coaching jr high football and that was all I wanted. As much as these kids needed punishment and some times seemed as if they were begging for structure, their just wasn’t much you could do. The school was constantly scared of being hit with a law suite because little Johnny can do no wrong in mommies eyes. Or mommy just straight didn’t care what the kid did and what structure you tried to give them ended at the edge of the field.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Don
    I’m a Teaching Assistant and I see a lot of the same thing at the Elementary level. So sad.

Top Bottom