• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I caught just a blip on the "news" this morning about an Indiana bill up for vote today regarding public schools, and their ability to enforce rules/policies/punishments for behavior OUTSIDE of school. Anyone have info on this? I'm rooting though the General Assembly website, but haven't found anything yet.

Seems like an over-reach to me, but I'd like to see the bill first.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have heard nothing nor have I seen the bill. But dollars to donuts it is about facebook and youtube and such. I agree with your statement of over reach but it is situation that every school faces. Posts on social network sites spilling over into the halls and the classroom.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    They already have a pretty far reach into the world out side the school thanks to columbine. Basically, if it was summer break. school had let out. a student sees a teacher and flips him the bird and says something "colorful" the teacher can then give him a detention/suspension/expulsion the following school year.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    On the news they were talking about it pertaining to FB, fights, parties, speeding, etc. Center Grove schools have been doing this for years, and I always thought it to be wrong. What my kid does outside of their school, property or events has nothing to do with the school. I MIGHT be okay if they wanted to limit it to facebook and bullying, but NOTHING else.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I lost my spreadsheet, but I believe this is Reason #18,732 to privatize schooling. It would be amazing how much people would mind their damned business if we got rid of all forms of coerced welfare.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I caught just a blip on the "news" this morning about an Indiana bill up for vote today regarding public schools, and their ability to enforce rules/policies/punishments for behavior OUTSIDE of school. Anyone have info on this? I'm rooting though the General Assembly website, but haven't found anything yet.

Seems like an over-reach to me, but I'd like to see the bill first.
    In 1979 a good friend of mine was in a minor car accident. The other driver caused it. The other driver was the son of a self important small town school board member who was also a miserable person in general.

The police report noted an empty beer can or two in my bud's backseat. We were in Highschool, he was a minor. No he had not been drinking that day. Mom owns the car, sees this in report, Mom is on school board, my friend's track career came to an end. Kicked off the team over empty beer cans in his car.

I am sure they will just say they want to apply the same standards to all students they already have in place for athletes. If you just look closely, slippery slopes are all around us. I will never let anyone subject my child to a drug test of any kind for any reason. Period. Schools have reached beyond their walls for decades. When you see it, you have to push back hard and stay the course.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Found it:
    Indiana General Assembly

School discipline. Removes the requirement that an activity must be "unlawful" in order for a student to be suspended or expelled for engaging in activity on or off school grounds, if: (1) the activity may reasonably be considered to be an interference with school purposes or an educational function; or (2) the student's removal is necessary to restore order or protect persons on school property.

So.... government-run schools want the ability to ban LAWFUL behavior outside of the school? I DON'T THINK SO. :xmad:

Personally, I don't like that they can hold someone's education hostage for extracurricular UNLAWFUL behavior. We already have the courts for that. Schools need to teach; not legislate, enforce, judge, and punish.

So, it has passed the House (grrr), and been referred to the Senate Committee on Education and Career Development. Sponsored by Kruse (R), who is the chair of this committee. Can't find who else is on that committee, but I'll keep looking.

Kruse has actually sponsored some decent legislation recently. I'm surprised he supports this kind of government expansion. Is he YOUR Senator? Drop him a note. I am. ;)

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Center Grove also has a "DAT" (drugs alcohol & tobacco) That they force you into complying with to be an athlete or go to school functions. At least that one is voluntary though.

(yes, they did amend the entire policy based on me and my best friend's actions. :D)

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    We home school. I thought this was the best way to go, but this thread just made me realize something: If he messes up, we can't expel him. D'oh!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    But dollars to donuts it is about facebook and youtube and such.

Man, with inflation like it is, even this phrase is loosing it's value. Last time I bought a donut (admittedly, it was gas station Krispy Kreme), it cost over a buck with tax.

:laugh:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We home school. I thought this was the best way to go, but this thread just made me realize something: If he messes up, we can't expel him. D'oh!

Why expel him? You could get a lot of work done around the house while he's suspended and in detention.

"The good news is that you don't have school today. The bad news is that this list better be done by the end of the day."

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Why expel him? You could get a lot of work done around the house while he's suspended and in detention.

"The good news is that you don't have school today. The bad news is that this list better be done by the end of the day."

Or what? You jail them for not doing what you command?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Which is educational in and of itself. You don't have to deal and still get to count the day :laugh:

grouse08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I have heard nothing nor have I seen the bill. But dollars to donuts it is about facebook and youtube and such. I agree with your statement of over reach but it is situation that every school faces. Posts on social network sites spilling over into the halls and the classroom.

that gets my vote too.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    School discipline. Removes the requirement that an activity must be "unlawful" in order for a student to be suspended or expelled for engaging in activity on or off school grounds, if: (1) the activity may reasonably be considered to be an interference with school purposes or an educational function; or (2) the student's removal is necessary to restore order or protect persons on school property.
    Oh wow,
    This basically says if "they" don't approve, they can kick your kid out.

Well firearms and hunting definitely interfere with school purposes by their standard. The mere picture of a firearm in school can lead to expulsion. Now they can kick your kid for thinking about a gun outside of school.

What about church? Man that really interferes with that whole evolution theory they are so enamored with.

Top Bottom