• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Some years back I had some work done by Neil Keller of Kustom Ballistics before he retired. He had his own proprietary lube called "Kellube." He came from a mechanical engineering/racing/machinist background and Pistolsmith of the Year and even built a 1911 for "Dubya." I still have some. I think its synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It's red. :scratch:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Some years back I had some work done by Neil Keller of Kustom Ballistics before he retired. He had his own proprietary lube called "Kellube." He came from a mechanical engineering/racing/machinist background and Pistolsmith of the Year and even built a 1911 for "Dubya." I still have some. I think its synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It's red. :scratch:
    ATF has been used for a longtime. I think Armalite even recommended it as the lube they wanted used. It is also an excellent carbon cleaner and corrosion protection.
    I believe Ed's Red is ATF based also.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have two lubricants I really like one is MPro7
    And the other is Lucas Extreme Duty.

I am going to try out Lucas High Performance Assembly Lube.
    I've been hearing good things about it. I'm going to try it on my Shield 45 and see how it works.
    I put a drop on my finger and felt it. It seems like it has a lot of potential, and probably wouldn't take more than a drop or two at most for the entire gun.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    This kind of reminds me of someone on youtube that my stepdad watches named 21kiloton. At one point in one of his videos, he was talking about oils and lubrication he uses for blades, axes, etc., and it went something down like this:

"And don't get me started on people who think WD-40 is a lubricant! It's a f***ing water deterrent! What the f*** do you think WD stands for!"

I don't know why, but that had me laughing for several minutes.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Neat story.

How did you take care of
    Brake and parts cleaner takes it off pretty quick but lots of time getting it out of the blind holes in the sideplate and blind holes in the small parts.

As a Side note customer bought the gun this way and it is actually a nice gun in good shape and will be really nice cleaned up and a trigger job done on it.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Brake and parts cleaner takes it off pretty quick but lots of time getting it out of the blind holes in the sideplate and blind holes in the small parts.

As a Side note customer bought the gun this way and it is actually a nice gun in good shape and will be really nice cleaned up and a trigger job done on it.

Have you had any issues with brake parts cleaner damaging plastics?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    It’s 20-frickin’-23, and we STILL have people doing this crap?? :facepalm: :laugh:
    I've found very few gun owners are gun enthusiast and they don't know and sometimes don't care about things that are important like maintenance or even being a little proficient with actually using the gun and being able to shoot and manipulate it. :twocents:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Have you had any issues with brake parts cleaner damaging plastics?
    Personally, I would only use it on a stripped frame without any wood/plastic attached. But Brake parts cleaner seems fairly non-reactive to most plastics vs. something like carb cleaner. Carb cleaner will definately eat most polymers.

I've always used the Lucas oil gun lube, never gums up but does dry up over time.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I don't use it on plastics. Most of the stuff I work on is all steel.:pimp:

I don't think it would hurt the polymer frames on the new guns but try on a small spot to make sure before hosing it down. IMO

The one time I worked on a WD-40ed gun (above) I avoided brake cleaner, carb cleaner, and starting fluid specifically because there was a nylon part on the mainspring I was afraid of ruining. Couldn't get to it without ungumming the gun and wondered if I made the right decision or if I could have saved myself a lot of time.

Looks like I made the right decision. Thank you.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The one time I worked on a WD-40ed gun (above) I avoided brake cleaner, carb cleaner, and starting fluid specifically because there was a nylon part on the mainspring I was afraid of ruining. Couldn't get to it without ungumming the gun and wondered if I made the right decision or if I could have saved myself a lot of time.

Looks like I made the right decision. Thank you.
    You can use WD40 to remove varnished WD. Spray it down, use a toothbrush, wipe clean.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Negative, Ghost Rider.

Weird, I could have sworn it had fish oil in it because it was such an odd thing. Maybe that was an ingredient in WD1-39? :dunno: (I once watched a 15 minute documentary on it and its history.)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Weird, I could have sworn it had fish oil in it because it was such an odd thing. Maybe that was an ingredient in WD1-39? :dunno: (I once watched a 15 minute documentary on it and its history.)
    Fish oil in it has been an urban myth for ages and ages.

Maybe even longer than needing to use Windex to clean after using corrosive ammo.

Top Bottom