• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dkor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greensburg, IN
    I do not have a hand gun currently. I have made the nessecary steps to do so. i have a permit.

I think i would like to get something semi-automatic. But i have not ruled out revolver's. what gun(s) should i be looking into. keeping cost in mind.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Do you want a safety? What caliber are you comfortable with? Large or small hands?

Personal favorite - Ruger P95DC. Always ready, eats anything, built like a tank, not expensive, extremely reliable, up to 18+1 rounds 9mm (more if extended mag)

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    1. I do not have a hand gun currently. I have made the nessecary steps to do so. i have a permit.

2. I think i would like to get something semi-automatic. But i have not ruled out revolver's. what gun(s) should i be looking into. keeping cost in mind.

1. You do not need a license/permit to own a handgun. Just a friendly FYI :)

2. What is your price range? Size? Calliber? Will you be carrying this or just using it for target/hunting/night stand?

So many questions to ask! I think we just get excited around here to help people :laugh:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    From my perspective... you need to know exactly what you want to do with your first handgun before you can prospectively start searching.

dkor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greensburg, IN
    I have not thought about the caliber of gun i would like.

i have regular size hands i would suppose, i can't quite palm a basketball.

i would like to eventually get a gun for hunting, but initally i am probably looking for a target hand gun and or one that i might eventually carry in my vehicle. to current plans to carry the gun on my person.

dkor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greensburg, IN
    I dont want to go crazy i suppose i would like to get the best gun for the cheapest.. yes i know thats what everyone wants. what should i be expecting to spend. my budget would probably allow me to spend a few hundred

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Maybe your best bet would be to go to a gun shop with a range and try a few different calibers as well as a revolver or semi automatic. This may help you in your final decision since this is your first purchase. Good luck...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A few hundred is not a whole lot, but it might get you a used cz75 or EAA Witness.

If you want something that can be used for hunting and everyday carry, get a nice S&W .357 with a 4" or longer barrel.
    They're rarely a few hundred bucks, though.

Take your time and have a good time looking for what's best for you.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    dkor,

You've given 4 very different uses for a handgun and I don't think any one will even come close:

1) Hunting (like what?)
    2) Target
    3) Vehicle carry
    4) Personal carry

Let me suggest that the first thing you might do is learn how to safely handle and then effectively use a handgun. For that there is no substitute for instruction be a qualified and experienced instructor. NRA certified instructors are a good place to start.

My first handgun was a Beretta 92F which I purchased around 1987 and I've never been disappointed with it. I still have it today and it works as well as any handgun I've ever owned. The 92F is still a popular handgun and I've seen them at gun shows recently in the $650 range. Also very popular (but not one that I own) is the Glock 17. Perhaps the most popular 9mm semi-automatic handgun around. I think these are a bit less expensive than the Beretta but both are high-quality firearms. Both are 9mm which is the most popular handgun round these days. Both are a bit large for concealed carry but certainly suitable for vehicle carry. But I know a lot of people conceal carry the Glock 17 so it's certainly a possibility.

The compact and sub-compact handguns in 9mm and .380 Auto are also very popular but are more difficult to handle and shoot accurately for a new handgun user.

Lots of folks swear by 1911 style .45 ACP handguns and you probably can't go wrong with one of these. They are available from multiple manufactures in just about every price range. One issue, however, is that .45 ammo is more expensive than 9mm so practice costs you more.

Anyway, I hope this helps, if you could elaborate a bit on your priorities, it might help get better advice.

dkor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greensburg, IN
    the few hundred was just a number i threw out. if needed i could spend more.. but as everyone has said i guess i should look around for a while and get a feel for what i like. thanks and keep the info comming

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    If your buddies have handguns try shooting theirs or try renting. The only way you will ever find the right gun for you is by putting one in your hands and sending a few pieces of lead down range.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    A .22 revolver would be good for target practice with the cheapest ammo, but I would not recommend it for any type of self defense. A 9mm is a good place to start for personal defense or target practice due to fairly cheep ammo and little/no recoil. A .357 mag revolver would be good for personal defense or certain types of hunting. A .44 mag revolver would be good for certain types of hunting. A .50 Desert Eagle is just plain cool. You will have to narrow down your needs/wants a little bit before you can even begin to pick a handgun.

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    Put your hands on as many as you can within your price range. Stick with common brands for quality (S&W, Glock, Springfield, Beretta, etc.). Stay WAY AWAY from anything that says Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, Jiminez, or Pheonix on it!! Handle as many different guns as you can. 9mm is a good choice. Ammo is inexpensive, and there are lots of choices in bullet weights available.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Let me suggest that the first thing you might do is learn how to safely handle and then effectively use a handgun. For that there is no substitute for instruction be a qualified and experienced instructor. NRA certified instructors are a good place to start.

:+1:
    I would start with a class. Plenty of listings here on INGO. If you have a local range, they probably have some instruction as well. Also see if there is a component on firearm laws. You need to know this stuff as well, even if you don't carry daily.

Then assess your budget and needs.

Then do some shopping.

I would NOT just go out and buy something, even if that gun seems 'right' to you.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A few hundred is not a whole lot, but it might get you a used cz75 or EAA Witness.

If you want something that can be used for hunting and everyday carry, get a nice S&W .357 with a 4" or longer barrel.
    They're rarely a few hundred bucks, though.

Take your time and have a good time looking for what's best for you.

Good luck finding either one for "a few hundred".

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    If your buddies have handguns try shooting theirs or try renting. The only way you will ever find the right gun for you is by putting one in your hands and sending a few pieces of lead down range.
    Good advice here. I was lucky enough to have a good friend help me. Hopefully a friend can let you shoot some of his and give you gun safety/ownership responsibility/etc advice too.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I've been able to find a 4 inch S&W .357 in the $400 range. Not mint condition, but functions well.

When I was starting out,, I found going to large gun shows helpful for handling as much as possible. It really helps to find what fits YOUR hand.

Top Bottom