• ...and so much more!
  • Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Got this letter today. I didn't even think about mentioning to anyone that my property tax went up this year. But this just pisses me off. My taxes went up over $340 and the mayor thinks he is doing us a favor by taking $150 back off. If you don't pay attention to your bill you would think you are saving money. End rant.

IMG_1298.png

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My property in Hamilton County went up $50,000 as of last reporting. With the 1% cap my tax payment will go up only $500. My rent to remain in my house is now more than 2 months income. I've ranted about property rent... I mean tax and never owning your home before, so I will stop for now other to say that it is nice to know that if I was in Marion county I would be considered among the rich and not deserve a break from property tax theft.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I've been writing my rep for a year about these giant tax increasew. First was it was lucas increases. Now frye. Zero response on it. Your insurance will go up too to cover the new assessment values too

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I hadn't checked mine either. Gross assessment went up 24%. Taxes due went up 33%. The gross rate with all the school, parks, library add ons is 3.58% with an effective rate of 2.76%. Mine are a little weird as it is an owner occupied duplex. The assessor rightly uses a weighted average of the base rates for residential and residential rental.

Guess I need to appeal since a 25% increase is ridiculous. I've done this several times in the past simply by pulling all the sales of duplexes in my township for the 12-18 months prior to the assessment date and tabulating the price per square foot. Every time I have done this my assessed value/SF has greatly exceeded the highest price/SF paid. The Assessor has accepted it regularly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you do not like property tax, get rid if it. Need to elect governors, house, and senate that will repeal the property tax, then we must convince our neighbors to approve a constitutional amendment securing it. Not happening soon. Let me know when it starts, I’ll help and contribute.

Indiana has about the least overall tax burden of most states…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I love how the property tax cap was such a big deal. So all they do is just increase your assessment, which is stupid because it only applies if I can sell my property and even then there’s no guarantee I’ll get that.
    It was and is a big deal. Politicians cannot change your taxes without a constitutional amendment. Few states have this level of protection. So did “they” just decrease your assessment when the last meltdown occurred? Mine did, so did many others. The tax is tied to value. I guess you could hope your property value decreases…

Top Bottom