• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Apples and oranges. The property tax system was set up to tax wealth at its value. Welcome late to the party that caused millions of farm families to lose their farms.
    My family was one of those that sold farmland because it got to be too “valuable” to be used to merely grow food.

And yes, my representatives are made fully aware of my thoughts on this. It doesn’t matter though, because they are ALL owned by bigger money interests. This is essentially how it has been for thousands of years of human history, and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's the point. It's a jacked up system that needs to be abolished or revamped.
    So you make a great point…

Nobody should lose property that they already paid for because their property taxes become untenable based on the whims of county assessors.
    Then direct it at the wrong entity. The assessors are doing their job in most cases I know of, just the way the legislature prescribed.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    That's the point. It's a jacked up system that needs to be abolished or revamped. It's a scam the way it works now. Nobody should lose property that they already paid for because their property taxes become untenable based on the whims of county assessors.
    And that was the point of my first response. The “cap” was nothing but smoke and mirrors. Don’t pay any attention to the man behind the curtain, you have your “cap.”

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I worked my ass off living hand to mouth for a decade to make my land payment, watching my friends buy toys and the like. For ten years of scrimping to pay it off, I earned the right to complain about having to pay more each year to keep it.
    Cool. Now let's compare appreciation on that property to interest on my savings account and see whose real wealth has grown more.

People who got into property five or ten years ago have absolutely printed money in this market and I'm sorry but I just don't have much sympathy for people who are having net worth rain down on them from the sky.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It is WAAAYYYY past time that property taxes are abolished.

Things will only get worse, not get better when voters keep electing trolls that are only intersted in their donors (direct & indirect), their cronies and their next election.

gov needs to be reduced by 90-95% across the board.
    I'm with you, been saying it for 20+ years.

It's not going to happen though, to many people feeding on the teat.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is what it boils down to and there’s no being an apologist about it without being a shill for status-quo.
    I will help and support your efforts to repeal this tax on property in its entirety. Then do we do away with services, or how do we pay for them? Sheriff, roads, fire department, how do we fund them? Obviously schools are a big cost and a separate topic to me. The others directly protect or enhance the property being taxed.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I will help and support your efforts to repeal this tax on property in its entirety. Then do we do away with services, or how do we pay for them? Sheriff, roads, fire department, how do we fund them? Obviously schools are a big cost and a separate topic to me. The others directly protect or enhance the property being taxed.
    The 2 taxes on gas we have and vehicle registration for roads? Oh and tire tax when ya buy them. Ya pay a county tax for county related stuff are first to come to mind

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Cool. Now let's compare appreciation on that property to interest on my savings account and see whose real wealth has grown more.

People who got into property five or ten years ago have absolutely printed money in this market and I'm sorry but I just don't have much sympathy for people who are having net worth rain down on them from the sky.
    Huh. So I could just remove some money from my account and go on vacation?

It doesn’t work like that. I only realize wealth if I get out of the market. Since the “market” is where live I can’t really do that, now can I? Your home is an investment to a point but it sure isn’t a liquid one.

Money poor and land rich is not just a saying. There were times I couldn’t scrape together ten bucks, but hey, it’s ok because I’m rich on paper!

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009

Not sure who's having it rain on them? They only make money if they sell and then they're taxed at their new sale value. If ya bought a place to live forever you're not making money. You're losing it

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have done REO (foreclosure) work in the past, I saw a LOT of folks that lost their homes largely due to property taxes. Many of these times taxes had increased significantly enough to compare to their P&I payment.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

The interest in your savings account is real money in your account and readily useable.

That is the difference.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The 2 taxes on gas we have and vehicle registration for roads? Oh and tire tax when ya buy them. Ya pay a county tax for county related stuff are first to come to mind
    The state has roads to pay for and counties have their own roads to pay for as do the cities that have their roads to pay for. Would there be savings in consolidation of all those into one department?

Top Bottom