• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I want/need to buy a propane stove. For some reason, I get to do most of the cooking in our household and in the warmer months, that means the propane grill gets LOTS of use. I have often thought it would be nice to have some sort of burner to prepare the side dishes without having to run back an forth between the stove in the house and the grill. And I have often thought it would be nice to NOT run the inside stove during the summer months. I feel it would also be a necessity during power outages and/or SHTF

That said, I have been looking high and low at stoves and think I am going to buy this one from Northern Tool: Cast Iron Double Burner Propane Stove | Cooking Stoves + Burners | Northern Tool + Equipment

Does anyone have any experience with this stove?

I like the idea of cast iron for durability, although not practical for on the move. This will be for home use and perhaps a non-hiking camping trip. I realize it is not practical for a BO situation.

I am not completely set on this product, so suggestions on other stoves are welcome.

:patriot: :ingo:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I want/need to buy a propane stove. For some reason, I get to do most of the cooking in our household and in the warmer months, that means the propane grill gets LOTS of use. I have often thought it would be nice to have some sort of burner to prepare the side dishes without having to run back an forth between the stove in the house and the grill. And I have often thought it would be nice to NOT run the inside stove during the summer months. I feel it would also be a necessity during power outages and/or SHTF

That said, I have been looking high and low at stoves and think I am going to buy this one from Northern Tool: Cast Iron Double Burner Propane Stove | Cooking Stoves + Burners | Northern Tool + Equipment

Does anyone have any experience with this stove?

I like the idea of cast iron for durability, although not practical for on the move. This will be for home use and perhaps a non-hiking camping trip. I realize it is not practical for a BO situation.

I am not completely set on this product, so suggestions on other stoves are welcome.

:patriot: :ingo:
    Hose and regulator sold separately? I think that seems a little expensive for not including the hose and regulator, but I could be mistaken.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Hose and regulator sold separately? I think that seems a little expensive for not including the hose and regulator, but I could be mistaken.

So I went back and re-read the description and you are correct. I first thought the hose and regulator were for the 20# tanks and cylinders connected directly, but this does not appear to be the case. Looks like I need to go back to reading comprehension 101!

That said, most of the stoves I have considered require the hose/regulator as an adapter to connect to 20# tanks and I planned using the 20 as my primary fuel source. This puts the price around $80.00, which is the same cost as the Coleman dual burner I've been considering.

Maybe I will TOFTT and give it a go, of couse coming back here with a "range report". (pun intended) :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I recommend that if this is to fill ANY SHTF/TEOTWAWKI role, that you buy one that is a dual fuel system. Propane is convenient, but not practical in an event. The dual fuel will burn white gas (coleman fuel), or unleaded gasoline. My lanterns and cook stove are all of this type. Sure, you have to pump it up before you use it, but that takes like 15 seconds.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You could also just buy a turkey fryer burner.

Here is a Bayou Classic one for $40 shipped. Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'm not sure of the Bayou Classic burner quality, but I'm going to give one of their fryer pots a try as a large stock pot for cooking down tomato sauces etc this summer.

The only problem I see with this is that they're not made to adjust down to a very small flame, so you may have to elevate your cooking surface away from the burner some if its too hot.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Thank you for the input, guys.

I have considered the dual fuel (and tri fuel?) stoves as they would be very handy in a BO or TEOTWAWKI situation. If I recall, the price of the stove was a bit more than what I am looking at, but the final weight to lean me towards a propane stove was that I already keep a decent stock of propane and have considered one of the bigger tanks for various other uses as well. On the other hand, considering one is none and two is one, perhaps a propane stove AND a duel fuel should be in order. As long as I have a couple of feet of hose, there should always be unleaded available. ;)

I hadn't considered a turkey fryer burner, I will keep an eye out for one of these. There are a few flea market centers in my neck of the woods, I am going to check these out as well. I usually walk away from flea markets empty handed, but once and while I score something decent.

Thanks again! :ingo:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Coleman Stove Is my Choice!

For SHTF I'll use my Coleman stove. You can use gasoline or coleman fuel, You pump it up yourself. And in a pinch it will probably burn just about anything flamable!:ar15:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For SHTF I'll use my Coleman stove. You can use gasoline or coleman fuel, You pump it up yourself. And in a pinch it will probably burn just about anything flamable!:ar15:
    :+1:Yep, and get an adapter and run propane, off a tank or off the little green canisters, or get the adapter to fill those...so many options!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here's something that I've been wanting from Harbor Frieght Tools.

99861.gif

Got 2 burners, grill and even a little oven. Needs hose and regulator, but you can pick that up cheap there also.

It's regular price is 79.99, little steep, but I'm on the mailing list and routinely get 15% coupons to bring this rice down. Link to it below.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Been thinking about one Too!

Here's something that I've been wanting from Harbor Frieght Tools.

99861.gif

Got 2 burners, grill and even a little oven. Needs hose and regulator, but you can pick that up cheap there also.

It's regular price is 79.99, little steep, but I'm on the mailing list and routinely get 15% coupons to bring this rice down. Link to it below.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    Even though I've got my coleman that one is on my wish list.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Even though I've got my coleman that one is on my wish list.

Only wish that it included a windscreen, but that can be made rather quickly and cheap.

They also sell a adapter to hook a 1lb tank to the regulator and also have a refilling adapter to fill the 1lb'ers from a 20lb tank.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've got one of those refilling adapters and it works well. Coleman stoves are the ticket. Just pulled mine out of the shed after ten years of storage and it worked great!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I gought a dual burner Camp Chef for 99.00 about a year ago. It comes with legs so you can set it up freestanding or I move it into my cabin and set it on the counter in the winter. Its heavy duty and works great. You just have to get a line splitter to operate both. There are way heavier duty than the coleman as much as I like them too

Top Bottom