• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If ya HEAT with it ( and run appliances, waterheater, etc....)......they'll price it lower/lock a price.....cause they KNOW they gonna fill ya a few times during the season..... :whistle:

Reason i tol'im ta come git they da*n tank.....:xmad: ......call'd for price on 250 gal b'fore the season Aug, '13.......almost 4.50 a gall then.......was up ta almost 5 bux by T-give'n........:xmad:

Thats the thing, I can go to my propane place all year and get my 100lb tanks filled for $3 (a gallon) all year. (so far) Last several years. Even in the end of winter when the prices went way up. I don't use them that much or I would have ran a NG line. Just enough to heat the back barn when I am out there.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Thats the thing, I can go to my propane place all year and get my 100lb tanks filled for $3 (a gallon) all year. (so far) Last several years. Even in the end of winter when the prices went way up. I don't use them that much or I would have ran a NG line. Just enough to heat the back barn when I am out there.

:yesway:....I wish'd......:rolleyes:

main runs all up/down 31 out'n front me.......but they cain't git it TO me.......RR will never give'em permission/access.......same BS with internet/cable.....:rolleyes:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    After reading all the posts in this tread, I think it's pretty clear that the OP would be best to really explore the costs of a NG hookup.

One thing you could be sure of, once you get past the initial expense of the NG hookup, you won't ever run out of gas and you'll never be at somebody's mercy for it.

And, if you get the NG to your house, you have the option of switching your furnace to gas in the future, which would be almost certainly cheaper than the electric heat that you now have.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    After reading all the posts in this tread, I think it's pretty clear that the OP would be best to really explore the costs of a NG hookup.

One thing you could be sure of, once you get past the initial expense of the NG hookup, you won't ever run out of gas and you'll never be at somebody's mercy for it.

And, if you get the NG to your house, you have the option of switching your furnace to gas in the future, which would be almost certainly cheaper than the electric heat that you now have.

AGIN.....:):....I WISH'd......:rolleyes:

An' H/Pumps.........SUK !.......

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    An' H/Pumps.........SUK !.......

My house was built by TK homes, one of those builders that pride themselves on building them quick and low-dollar. The big change I made them do was to substitute an 80+ gas furnace (this was in '98) for the heat pump that the house was supposed to have. Never been sorry, and now, with a little bit of black iron pipe work, I'm adding a nice gas range in the kitchen.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We will call again to see what the fees are to be able to hook in and get an estimate for running a line from the road to the house.

I know when we hooked into city water, that cost was outrageous.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    We will call again to see what the fees are to be able to hook in and get an estimate for running a line from the road to the house.

I know when we hooked into city water, that cost was outrageous.

Let me/us know I am curious. I know Nipsco here is decent, but who knows in some of the other areas how bad some of the smaller suppliers are. Good luck.

When I checked in on running my electric underground, was first told about $2500. Then the next guy said $1800. Then the next said $2500 but since you would use more power (was running lines to other out buildings) and if you can run conduit from meter to pole, we can drop it to $700. Cool. After it was all said and done I never got a bill. Hmm.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Talked to a different person at citizens and they said nothing of a hook up fee and to call a plumber as they do all the work. Have a plumber coming by today to give a quote.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    NG not an option for us. We have a 1000 Gal tank. Run furnace, water heater & dryer off it PLUS a whole house generator. House is also heated with AWESOME wood burner. A neighbor and I each put our generators in after the Ice storm in 2008 (or so) and have never been w/o power since. After a winter storm 3yrs ago, a wreck knocked out power for all neighors for over 8 hrs. Most homes around us were dark. Neighbor and I had a soft hum in the yard and all the Christmas lights lit. Now All the neighbors have whole hose units. All run on propane. We had a summer fill in August for $1.49/Gal. Shop around and only buy during summer or when prices are stable. A BIGGER tanks than you think you need helps even out those purchases.

Top Bottom