• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Looking forward to your review Jack. I noticed the weight of the thing is 23Lbs. and that it is said to contain 275 servings. So they either have to be soup or paste both reconstituted by water and heat source.

Looking at the link you provided they have some reviews as well, I found this one interesting.

Food for month-plus long scenarios
    "My fiancee and I ordered a sample meal pack and tried the Rice Lentil Soup today.
    The product is exactly as advertised -- emergency meals that are cheap, easy to store for long term, and easy to make. The meals come in 5-serving packets of vitamin-fortified and pre-flavored dried beans/vegetables/etc. -- all you do is get some water boiling, pour in the packet, let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, let it sit for 5 minutes more, serve, and eat. The taste was perfectly fine -- not haute cuisine, but as good as my usual Typical Guy Cooking and much better than lots of other emergency food rations I've had.
    A few notes:
    - When they say 275 meals, they mean 275 rationed one-cup meals just big enough to keep you going in a survival situation, not 275 fill-you-up meals.
    - As others have noted, you need to have a source of cooking heat -- a wood fire, propane stove, something -- and a source for water that will also last the duration of the emergency. Plan accordingly.
    - The nutrition is decent. A bit high on sodium, very low on fat.
    - It contains no meat products and is listed as vegetarian, but is "produced on equipment that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, milk, egg, wheat, sesame, shellfish."
    Bottom line: I'm buying the full tub to act as my family's food supply for month-and-longer survival situations -- it's much cheaper, more compact, and longer-lasting than trying to get that many meals using canned goods, MREs, or the usual camping foods which are my week-or-two-long scenario options. It'll get stored with a big container of vitamins and a metal cup for rationing. May we never need them."

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don't buy these. It is a rip off and false-advertisement. There've been reviews and discussion on AR15.com before. For the number of meals they advertise, there are only a few hundred calories per day. I think the rations are less than the Jews were fed in concentration camps. Yeah, they may be ok for a few meals and stuff, but certainly don't count on surviving on them. Don't have these as your plan A for food. You can do much better with other things.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    as Karl mentioned...I think this is only to be a "suppliment" to your food preps, not a complete replacement.

Still interested in your opinion of it Jack!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I love Costco

I love Costco. The price advertised includes shipping. Think I'll add a few of these to my pantry.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Well, I got it and I don't plan to open it. I seriously hope I never have to,,,,. But it's good to know it's there if I do, and it's a supplement to other preps.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I got mine too. There's no reason to worry about opening it, the bucket will seal again tightly even if you open it. There are a mess of individually sealed foil packets inside - single serving sized packets. I would guess 1-oz or so each. Seems like a good buy. Might use the packets as part of homemade MRE kits.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's not advertised as 275 meals, but 275 SERVINGS. Probably closer to 55 meals. Without getting detailed, I'd estimate 675 cal/meal or 2025 cal/dy. Hmm. It's got me curious.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Can someone who has this, maybe post a range of calories that these serve.

Also from the reviews I've read so far, they may not taste the greatest.

A survival/preparedness resource I use all the time is Frugal's Forums

Lot's of great information about a variety of subjects.

Top Bottom