• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    And there you have it...

'Prepper' is a scared bunny completely baffled by politics, infighting and opinions pressed upon them by others.

Sustainable is a person that's actually DOING SOMETHING rather than hiding some crap in the basement...

'Preppers' don't have the education, and refuse to aquire the education, to DO FOR THEMSELVES.

Every single 'Prepper' I've ever met wants someone else to do the work and have someone else make the stuff for them.

I saw a rich 'Prepper' that bought into the 12/21/12 thing and wasted over $3 million dollars on stuff that got flooded, ruined or stolen because he had other people do everything for him...
    Bad judgment all around.

Can't knit a sock or repair a garment?
    Better get back to the NON-'Consumer' economy!

Things built to last, do for yourself...
    60-120 year old sewing machines that have lasted 60-120 years and only needed cleaning & tuning.
    I pick them up for as little as free, up to $45...

View attachment 155260

View attachment 155261

Once food, water & shelter are obtained, then is a question of SUSTAINABILITY,
    How do you replace the food you initially found?
    How do you produce enough water to wash with/grow crops/water any livestock, etc?

Ignorance is killed by education, simple to solve.

Scared, Lazy & Stupid are life long...
    Exactly:
    "Once food, water & shelter are obtained, then is a question of SUSTAINABILITY,
    How do you replace the food you initially found?
    How do you produce enough water to wash with/grow crops/water any livestock, etc?"

Most of the population is urban now, many living in high-rise megalopolises, which is why a prolonged shut down of utilities or supply chains could turn into a 'zombie apocolypse' TEOTWAWKI situation.
    A small back yard garden is as relevant to keeping a family fed long term, as some potted mint in your window sill. Maybe if you live in the suburbs and plant your entire yard, you might get by...until your neighbors want to eat.
    And what about water? If you live in an urban area blessed with little yards instead of an apartment in a "concrete jungle", and IF the city would give you a permit, the well drilling company probably wouldn't be able to get their derrick in place to drill it.

"So, bug out". Without a destination, you're just an unwelcome part of a refugee migration that farmers/locals will see as a threat to their resources.

Prepping isn't about being lazy, unskilled, and/or stupid. It's more like getting ready for the storm or stocking the lifeboat. Just because there are unskilled, uninformed people who panic bought a year's supply of TP in 3/20, doesn't mean THAT'S being a "prepper".

Anyway, it's good you're squared away.

Last edited:

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Idk, kinda entertains my mind ....when shtf what will I do about this...what will I do about that but I've only been into it for a few years so guess things are still kindly new to me

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have my mom’s like the one above, but in a black hard carrying case. Getting close to 90 years old, works like new. But when we loose power, I have one like the one above but a treadle version.

China made hand crank, about $20 on eBay, lower quality copy of the Singer original, but it works fairly well since the original design was good.
    No need for a bulky treadle cabinet that way.

Needles, bobbins & bobbin cases are about all the parts you need after that, and they are mostly still available from Singer.

I don't go fast, or do it often, but these things will sew through the side of a tin can, do heavy leather, ect.
    Pretty handy to have around.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't know about living in a city since I've chosen not to do that.
    Wasn't raised in one, don't know how they work, what any strengths or weaknesses are, etc.

What I was taught, and what I do is live as simply & cheaply as possible.
    No participation in the 'Consumer Economy' if I could help it...

That leaves money in the budget.

That money gets spent on things that will make the place more productive so I have more money to do more with,
    Or in some cases absorb mistakes when 'Improvements' go sideways and become fails...

It's going to happen when you do something new, so it's just part of life...
    The guy that never makes a mistake isn't doing anything.

*IF* I had to live in a city, I'm thinking some armor plated transportation would be a good idea?
    That's assuming you wake up one morning and everything went from 10 to 0 overnight, which is very unlikely...

A trailer that would double as supply stockpile and living quarters wouldn't be a bad idea, gain more room as supplies were consumed?
    Same with tow vehicle, a cargo box truck, same deal, supplies consumed makes for more living space?

I don't know, didn't think much about it since I'm dug in here and the thread is on growing food...

Last edited:

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    I'm afraid I've gotten a bit OCD about all this.
    In the morning when getting out cereal and milk, I think "Won't be long before I'll have to grind my own grain and have my own cow to get this."
    Brushing teeth? "Will likely be using baking soda for toothpaste, and a bucket since there will be no running water."
    Toilet? "Soon will be using old rags that go into bleach water after wiping, and refilling the toilet with a bucket afterwards to flush."
    Newspaper? "Soon none of that, which might not be a bad thing."
    Flick on a light? "Might be striking a match to a lamp someday soon."
    A/C? "Better get used to high humidity and windows open in summer."
    Turn on the tap? "Make sure I have plenty of good buckets to haul water from the river."
    Get in the car? "I'm gonna miss driving."
    Etc.

While it does get me thinking about and acquiring potential alternatives, it sucks some of the spontaneous joy out of today. But I spend most of the day really appreciating all the wonderful things we have that so many will never have.

The happiest outcome would be dying at home surrounded by family and realizing "It was all for nothing - I never needed it."
    You don't have to miss driving, start retrofitting a vehicle with a gassifier trees will be around for awhile.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don't know about living in a city since I've chosen not to do that.
    Wasn't raised in one, don't know how they work, what any strengths or weaknesses are, etc.

What I was taught, and what I do is live as simply & cheaply as possible.
    No participation in the 'Consumer Economy' if I could help it...

That leaves money in the budget.

That money gets spent on things that will make the place more productive so I have more money to do more with,
    Or in some cases absorb mistakes when 'Improvements' go sideways and become fails...

It's going to happen when you do something new, so it's just part of life...
    The guy that never makes a mistake isn't doing anything.

*IF* I had to live in a city, I'm thinking some armor plated transportation would be a good idea?
    That's assuming you wake up one morning and everything went from 10 to 0 overnight, which is very unlikely...

A trailer that would double as supply stockpile and living quarters wouldn't be a bad idea, gain more room as supplies were consumed?
    Same with tow vehicle, a cargo box truck, same deal, supplies consumed makes for more living space?

I don't know, didn't think much about it since I'm dug in here and the thread is on growing food...
    I couldn't verbalize it from thin air but I think you hit on how to start prepping; the mindset it takes to begin, and the way forward - "no participation in the consumer economy" if you can help it. The gauge of preparedness is probably where your needle falls on this scale. We're all straddling the fence to some degree, but this is one way to gauge your mindset about it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

It's quite interesting how we categorize others by picking up on stigmas reported on the news, reality tv shows and social media.

Myself, I attempt to not be nailed down, somewhat enjoying the term prepper as a term of endearment.

I remember well a freind and neighbor some years ago saying "he's kind of a prepper, but a great neighbor." He had been watching Doomsday Peppers on the genius box. :rolleyes:

I relish in the fact that my hobbies and overall lifestyle feed me, keep me fit, prepare me for self defense and house me, while giving the utmost in satisfaction doing so.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Not participating in the consumer economy is a good way to save money, if nothing else.
    Probably too 'Boring' for most people today, a lot of self entertainment.

The wife sews, knits, does other crafts, just keeps busy while we have TV or video on,
    Caught her dancing & singing to oldies soundtrack while canning tomatoes & making spaghetti sauce over the weekend!

Seeing those marginal movies, that's close to $50 in theater, we catch them when they show up on TV/internet or get the DVD when it shows up at yard sales for .25-.50¢
    (And you get to keep them)

Instead of buying a TV DVD player that goes south, we simply use a cable from computer, saves buying a different device AND the computer DVD player lasts a lot longer/is a crap ton cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, we both have computers, she does taxes, I have a business, we just try not to overlap buying this stuff.
    Don't need a DVD player in every room, same way we don't need a TV in every room.

Although we don't make our own cloths, we do have patterns.
    She does make all kinds of crafts, and she used to make sun dresses for the girls when they were little.

As to cloths, the very idea of 'Designer' makes me laugh...
    Anyone that pays $100 for a 'T' shirt, $300 for sneakers, $500 for jeans won't get much sympathy from me.
    I'll spend $100-$150 on a pair of work boots (then use them daily for 20 years!) But there is no way I'm buying $300 sneakers!
    No holes, pre-faded jeans, mine get that way quick enough from just work & play, and I don't need to pay extra to have the lifespan shortened.

I have a friend I can't drive my old Jeep Wagoneer to his house.
    The HOA will show up while I'm there and 'Warn' him about 'Ugly' and 'Trucks' while I'm parked at the curb...
    BUT,
    They tried to flag me down and pay me to clean out driveways when the snow was shin deep, he had a new baby and I didn't want this wife falling, so I plowed the drive and used the snow blower on the walks... ... In my 'Ugly Truck'...

Feels good to tell them NOPE, not for hire, grab a shovel!
    Now, if they had offered enough money to make up for the insults... ?

I commented once I was sorting/sizing brass while watching TV, I might be doing several other things...
    The point was, we are usually doing SOMETHING constructive and it's not just dead time in front of the boobtube.

Dead time has gotten WAY out of hand, and even if you can "Buy Something Cheaper" than you think your time is worth,
    Has never seen a hand made quilt bring $1,500-$2,000 or dried weed 'floral' arrangements bring in $20,000/year.

I never bought into 'Bug Out',
    Where are you going to go if EVERYTHING went to zero overnight?
    No one wants to see random refugees show up they didn't plan for...
    That means they PLANNED, you didn't!
    If they didn't plan, now you are all screwed.

The folks that helped us will be welcome, with immediate kin.
    They have been here before, working, camping, swimming, fishing, know how this works.
    Know anyone like that? If not, time to start thinking that direction if it's not too late already...
    Most 'Preppers' I know are loud, opinionated, won't work without being paid, selfish, want to run the show, etc.
    It's a personality type flaw...

People think I'm nuts for having a truck load of extra solar panels, but I won't have an issue replacing damaged panels in the 20 years I have left, work exactly with my system.
    Should things go south, I'll need the extra production for more people, and those people can do the work on mounts, extra wiring, etc to help themselves.

There is a reason I stick to friends that aren't drunks, druggies, are mostly former military, and are now police, carpenters, metal workers, electricians, mechanics, etc., keep full time jobs...
    They know how to work, and they know how to work TOGETHER.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I couldn't verbalize it from thin air but I think you hit on how to start prepping; the mindset it takes to begin, and the way forward - "no participation in the consumer economy" if you can help it. The gauge of preparedness is probably where your needle falls on this scale. We're all straddling the fence to some degree, but this is one way to gauge your mindset about it.

Agriculture is a real economy because you are producing something mandatory,
    From basic food to booze to meat.

Manufacturing is a real economy *IF* you make 'Durable Goods'.

Everything else is paper (money) and plastic waste.
    $300 on Walmart crap is $5 worth of yard sale crap or waste as soon as you hand the money over...

In years past, something like a sewing machine was the difference between living on the streets begging and eating everyday...

What happens to Social Security that is the difference between living on the streets begging & living indoors, eating everyday if SHTF happens?

We saw this already, twice infact.
    The last time was the great depression, and I know there are science/history deniers here, but the fact if the matter is two big events happened in a short period of time...

Production modernized and ramped up for WWI, after WWI those manufacturing companies turned to the domestic market and sold consumer goods like crazy!
    (Roaring 20s)

The market became saturated, plants cut back or closed, people were out of work...
    That was just economic depression.

Then the dust bowl hit, reduced the biggest industry in America, Agriculture, by about 45%-50% cutting the backbone of America out of work on top of all the manufacturing jobs.

My family was triple hit...
    Outlawing of alcohol put most the extended family out of work, timber for barrels, coopers that made barrels/buckets/vats, farmers that grew grain, and distillers.

Everyone wound up in about the same place, with the economy continuing to crash...

My grandpa used to say "Kids need beans & jeans no matter what,
    So if you can't sell corn by the bushel, we sold it by the gallon."
    It wasn't 'Legal', but it wasn't gangsters, and EVERYONE in the neighborhood ate, no big houses, no fancy cars, no idiots with guns shooting up places, etc.

The more I can do for myself, the more I learn (and could pass on), and the more recession/depression proof I become.
    It's not exactly rocket science, basic chemistry, biology, mechanics/electrics...
    The more specialized one becomes, the more dependant on other trades/crafts one becomes.

I can tell you again about the guy with mega-dollars that sunk $1.25 Million into the 12/21/12 scare that cost him $3.2 million to actually get it working,
    Then because he wasn't in residence and didn't have maintenance/security in place,
    His 'Bug Out' flooded, 12,000 gallons of diesel fuel rotted in the tanks, $500,000 generator was stolen, all his super duper 'Prepper' food made racoons, rats & possums so far they couldn't get back out the way they got in...
    So much for local contractors, the neighbors knowing everything, and no situational awareness...
    Paying ONE good man would have got pumps there to drain the swamp, kept the natives from picking the place clean, etc.

A little forethought and proper planning and the place would have been energy efficient renewables, not a generator that sucked 10 gallons an hour,
    Have DRAINS that worked,
    Had a common kitchen,
    Someplace to do laundry,
    While storing diesel fuel the vehicles were gasoline,
    Just bad planning all the way around...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Agriculture is a real economy because you are producing something mandatory,
    From basic food to booze to meat.

Manufacturing is a real economy *IF* you make 'Durable Goods'.

Everything else is paper (money) and plastic waste.
    $300 on Walmart crap is $5 worth of yard sale crap or waste as soon as you hand the money over...

In years past, something like a sewing machine was the difference between living on the streets begging and eating everyday...

What happens to Social Security that is the difference between living on the streets begging & living indoors, eating everyday if SHTF happens?

We saw this already, twice infact.
    The last time was the great depression, and I know there are science/history deniers here, but the fact if the matter is two big events happened in a short period of time...

Production modernized and ramped up for WWI, after WWI those manufacturing companies turned to the domestic market and sold consumer goods like crazy!
    (Roaring 20s)

The market became saturated, plants cut back or closed, people were out of work...
    That was just economic depression.

Then the dust bowl hit, reduced the biggest industry in America, Agriculture, by about 45%-50% cutting the backbone of America out of work on top of all the manufacturing jobs.

My family was triple hit...
    Outlawing of alcohol put most the extended family out of work, timber for barrels, coopers that made barrels/buckets/vats, farmers that grew grain, and distillers.

Everyone wound up in about the same place, with the economy continuing to crash...

My grandpa used to say "Kids need beans & jeans no matter what,
    So if you can't sell corn by the bushel, we sold it by the gallon."
    It wasn't 'Legal', but it wasn't gangsters, and EVERYONE in the neighborhood ate, no big houses, no fancy cars, no idiots with guns shooting up places, etc.

The more I can do for myself, the more I learn (and could pass on), and the more recession/depression proof I become.
    It's not exactly rocket science, basic chemistry, biology, mechanics/electrics...
    The more specialized one becomes, the more dependant on other trades/crafts one becomes.

I can tell you again about the guy with mega-dollars that sunk $1.25 Million into the 12/21/12 scare that cost him $3.2 million to actually get it working,
    Then because he wasn't in residence and didn't have maintenance/security in place,
    His 'Bug Out' flooded, 12,000 gallons of diesel fuel rotted in the tanks, $500,000 generator was stolen, all his super duper 'Prepper' food made racoons, rats & possums so far they couldn't get back out the way they got in...
    So much for local contractors, the neighbors knowing everything, and no situational awareness...
    Paying ONE good man would have got pumps there to drain the swamp, kept the natives from picking the place clean, etc.

A little forethought and proper planning and the place would have been energy efficient renewables, not a generator that sucked 10 gallons an hour,
    Have DRAINS that worked,
    Had a common kitchen,
    Someplace to do laundry,
    While storing diesel fuel the vehicles were gasoline,
    Just bad planning all the way around...
    You could have just said “it all starts with drainage”, haha. That’s my sales pitch.

ok seriously though, you sound like my dad (born in ‘43) did a lot of times. He just could’t stand the idea that desk work, computer work, paper trading and lawyering permeated so much of everyone’s day, took so much time. I didn’t say worthless or unnecessary, just so many people doing so little was how he thought about it.
    Wrong or right, that kind of thinking gets you left behind in modern times. And that’s fine especially if you don’t want to participate in the consumer economy. As long as you realize it.
    Welcome to “perception is reality” land. At least until it isn’t. And you won’t find very many people willing to give up the consumer economy, just because the truth might catch up one day.
    So, you’re the exception to the rule for sure, an encouragement to many who want to move that direction, but the most important thing is you’re at peace with yourself.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    When the gardener and I talk about this I figure we could go a fair amount of time with out a lot of convinces even though we enjoy them. Growing up rural and ag probably has something to do with that thinking. I've wondered sometimes how long the country would last with the electricity off, and what it would look like.

I see the future more as a steady decline in standard of living as everything gets more expensive, but I take some hope as that's what the late 70s looked like and things got better.

I think we got a good look at that during katrina. The riots over the past year are also another good example.

The lesson learned is that life outside of cities goes on mostly as normal. But for those in cities there is a zero percent chance they'll have a happy ending. It's also very doubtful they'll be able to leave the cities before getting stranded there.

If you live in the country, and scale up a solar power solution properly, and have a well... There's not much reason for things to change THAT massively. Food might be a bit difficult to come by, but with so many places offering multi-year supplies of food in a bucket, you could certainly afford to have yourself a good decade of food storage without having to refinance the house.

In general, I highly doubt things will come to the point of "living off the land" while anyone has a significant chance of survival left in this country. It's generational rot, not overnight collapse, which makes it the hardest thing to prepare and plan for.

Top Bottom