• dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Details?.......... Looks Awesome!!!!
    Thank you.

As of now factory remington barreled action (26" 1:12 .308)
    Silencer Co brake
    Timney 510 trigger
    Mcree G5 folder chassis
    Harris bipod
    EGG hd 20 moa base
    Seekins rings
    Vortex HD Gen 1 5×20

About to order my barrel and going 6.5 creedmoor 8 twist.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Trued Remington 700 LA w/ Badger bolt knob
    Bartlein .308 24" 1:10
    Bell & Carlson A2
    Weaver 20moa base
    Vortex Tactical 30mm low rings
    SWFA SS 12x42 MRAD
    Caldwell bipod

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thank you.

As of now factory remington barreled action (26" 1:12 .308)
    Silencer Co brake
    Timney 510 trigger
    Mcree G5 folder chassis
    Harris bipod
    EGG hd 20 moa base
    Seekins rings
    Vortex HD Gen 1 5×20

About to order my barrel and going 6.5 creedmoor 8 twist.

Nice choice on caliber, let us know how it does after the re-barrel.

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    r0xceu.jpg

Savage 12 Ftr .308
    Leupold Vari-X 6.5-20x40
    Sinclair bipod

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    image.jpg
    Winchester model 70 with a Bushnell Banner 3x9 and a Remington model 700 with a Bushnell banner 6x18
    both are pretty much stock for now but going to start on the 700 soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      162.9 KB · Views: 6

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just put this one together. First real scoped rifle for me, will serve as a trainer.

Ruger American Rimfire .22LR
    Vortex Crossfire II 4-12/44
    Talley mounts and rings

Initial accuracy testing after sighting in at 50 yds. Best group so far with the only 4 Rem golden bullets I had.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    For the 2015 season I had Apache Gun Works chamber and threaded a 6.5 Creedmoor X-caliber barrel for my shooting season this year. I installed this on my Stiller Tac-30 AW action and bedded it into the manners stock. The DBM is also Stiller and I am using a Vortex Gen II 3-18x50 with milrad adjustments. After some quick load work up I settled on a 130 grain Berger AR Hybrid bullet, powered by 43.1 grains of H4350 in Hornady brass and CCI primers. This gives me 2881fps with single digit SD's

First match on the new barrel was the Guardian match hosted at MTC near Lake City.
    Video courtesy of Michigan-Out-of-Doors TV
    https://youtu.be/-qq-j1CeTbM

Unfortunately for me I was recovering from a freak illness that had me running on about 6 hours sleep in a 48 hour period and a triple digit fever that broke about 7 hours before the match started. So my performance was less than stellar. But it was a great match and every one had fun while raising money for a great cause.

6.5 brothers (buddys rifle has the black stock) covered in dust near the close of the Michigan Guardian match. The stiller actions never hiccuped and both were full of dust and sand.
    Gaurdian%20011.jpg

Late summer/early fall found me at BWSA shooting the Precision Rifle Division 2015 Championship Match in Port Huron. Here we engaged targets from 5 yards to 616 yards for 10 stages using field expedient positions. While each stage was different, for support we may have an empty water barrel to use, or a barricade, a roof top simulator, one stage had some loose 1"x 2" boards to build a support and another an old truck.

Target sizes ranged from a 1" hole we had to shot through with out touching the sides to steel plates 6-12" and some of the smallest poppers I have seen, maybe 3" by 7". Those poppers were tough as you were shooting from the roof top simulator and the four targets were between 306-318 yards.

In this pictured stage we were not to use bipods, tripods or any other hard support. Soft support such as a bag could be used. However, 5 sticks were provided as was some buggy cords. We were given 3 minutes to build anything we wanted from the sticks & cord and engage two targets around 370 and 470. Targets were 9" and 12". So after forming a tripod from the sticks and buggy I recalled a video the 6.5 Guys (youtube channel) had made about using sticks for rear support and added the rear stick here. I rested it on my left shoulder and had a much more solid position.
    11873787_739289932865642_3817569033560232112_n.jpg

First round hits on those targets, Thanks 6.5 Guys!

Finished up the match and came home with a trophy

BWSA%20002.jpg

Gearing up for Deer hunting I worked up a load at my long distance range.
    In an attempt to figure out what rifle I would use this year for Montana mule, I decided to shoot some 140 A-Max for the first time in this barrel using the same load that works well with 139 scenars, 42.7 grains of H4350. And I figured that with a longer bearing surface it might be good to drop it back a couple tenths (42.5) just in case the increased length raised the pressure and put me out of the 139 node. I seated the bullets -.029" back from a hard seat in the lands.

At the range, I hooked up the magnetospeed and fired the four rounds of 42.5... 2796fps SD=1 ES=3, I kind of kicked my self when I saw that as those were the only 4 I had bought.

Moving on to 42.7 I had 2810fps SD=3 ES=8...

So with my remaining rounds of 42.7 I detached the magnetospeed and put a couple rounds down range at 3, 4 and 6 hundred to see if Ballistic AE was tracking with the new data and was rewarded with near center hits. Looked at my predicted drop for 1000 and dialed that in to the scope and started shooting while holding about half a mil of wind.

Deer%20rainbow%20024.jpg

While watching the impacts I could tell it was going to be a good day and then promptly threw the next shot a touch high. LOL so I sent an extra one just for good measure.

After shooting another rifle I came back to shoot the smaller steel target on the right with the Creedmoor and finished off the remaining 4 rounds.

Minus the high impact the left target has 2.5" of vertical and the 4 on the right target has 2.25" of vertical.

Not a bad day and hunting rifle and load chosen!

First week of November found me in SE Montana. I and my three partners had a good time. All of us filled our tags even though it was about our toughest hunt yet. We saw plenty of deer but the large guys didn't want to be found.

Monday:
    The Ranch owner had expressed his displeasure with the amount of coyotes he had this year so first thing Monday morning I went to work. I made a good kneeling shot at about 130 yards with the Creedmoor. 140 Amax made a fist size exit on the off side.

MONTANA%202015%20004.jpg

Later, I spotted this nice buck. I was wanting to hold out for a more distant shot so I pointed it out to my partner who connected at about 150
    yards.

MONTANA%202015%20012%20-%20Copy.jpg

Strange thing was the above buck was bedded down and did not want to get up out of the sage. I made some noise... nothing. Did a little Indian dance... nothing, finely I decided I would go for a walk off to the side betting that if he couldn't keep both of us in view that may motivate him to get up... and it worked. My partner made a perfect heart/lung shot and he had his tag filled.

Day two, found my new partner (who had not yet filled his tag) and I scouting around. I found another coyote and made the shot at about 90 yards, sorry no picture of that one. But shot #2 of 2 for the creedmoor.

We saw a few little bucks and a lot of doe but nothing worth our time on day two.

Day three:
    Rain, wind and fog... what a muddy mess. Saw a few little guys in the morning again and also kicked up a coyote that someone must have educated as it never stopped running and found cover to quickly for me to get a shot at him. Later, in the afternoon, my partner and I found a great spot on a hill where I could see down into a couple large draws and neighboring hills and ridges. After lunch I went back solo hunting in this spot and spent the rest of the day watching a herd of 20+ doe and a dinky little 1.5 year old 2x2 hoping a big guys might move in. But luck was not on my side for a deer. I did however locate two elk sheds to collect on day four. My partner teamed up with the other two guys in our group and took a decent 4x3 for what we had been seeing.

Day four:
    This was my last day to hunt, so I decided to head back to the overwatch first thing hoping something big would have moved in. But, as I made my turn off the road and onto the two track I noticed a buck and doe in my path in the upper field leading back to my overwatch spot. The buck was pushing the doe hard and paid no attention to me while I checked him out with binoculars... nor as I slipped out and got my rifle ready. Nor as I laid down and set up on him 91 yards away... Boom.

montana2015%20004.jpg

One shot and a DRT impact at that. Not even a slight step forward. 140 A-max at 2800 strikes again. I figured this was the second biggest buck I laid eyes on this year and I didn't want to chance bypassing him only to find nothing down at the overwatch. Good thing too as only 6 deer were down there and nothing bigger than that same young 2x2.

So after getting some help from my partners loading the deer up in the truck and collecting the two elk sheds downing the valley we were on our way out of the field only to see the biggest buck of the year and two other decent sized guys pushing doe right where I dispatched my deer not one hour ago... Oh well, maybe next year we will meet again.

So in the end I have been very impressed by both the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge and Apache Gun Works machining. Teamed up with Manners, Stiller, Vortex, Berger bullets, and Hornady bullets and brass made for a very successful and fun filled year.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Thanks.
    It's a .300 Win Mag.
    Surgeon 1086 receiver
    Surgeon DBM
    Jewell HVR trigger set at 1.5 lbs.
    Bartlein barrel, M24/M40 contour at 26"
    APA LB muzzle brake
    McMillian A5 stock
    Long Range Accuracy Lite Tactical bipod
    Currently, it has a Premier 5-25x56 scope on it in an Aadmount mount. The scope and mount came off another rifle and will probably be swapped out at some point.

It was built by Robert Gradous.

This rifle is a pleasure to shoot. Low recoil and dead on accurate.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    For the 2015 season I had Apache Gun Works chamber and threaded a 6.5 Creedmoor X-caliber barrel for my shooting season this year. I installed this on my Stiller Tac-30 AW action and bedded it into the manners stock. The DBM is also Stiller and I am using a Vortex Gen II 3-18x50 with milrad adjustments. After some quick load work up I settled on a 130 grain Berger AR Hybrid bullet, powered by 43.1 grains of H4350 in Hornady brass and CCI primers. This gives me 2881fps with single digit SD's

First match on the new barrel was the Guardian match hosted at MTC near Lake City.
    Video courtesy of Michigan-Out-of-Doors TV
    https://youtu.be/-qq-j1CeTbM

Unfortunately for me I was recovering from a freak illness that had me running on about 6 hours sleep in a 48 hour period and a triple digit fever that broke about 7 hours before the match started. So my performance was less than stellar. But it was a great match and every one had fun while raising money for a great cause.

6.5 brothers (buddys rifle has the black stock) covered in dust near the close of the Michigan Guardian match. The stiller actions never hiccuped and both were full of dust and sand.
    Gaurdian%20011.jpg

Late summer/early fall found me at BWSA shooting the Precision Rifle Division 2015 Championship Match in Port Huron. Here we engaged targets from 5 yards to 616 yards for 10 stages using field expedient positions. While each stage was different, for support we may have an empty water barrel to use, or a barricade, a roof top simulator, one stage had some loose 1"x 2" boards to build a support and another an old truck.

Target sizes ranged from a 1" hole we had to shot through with out touching the sides to steel plates 6-12" and some of the smallest poppers I have seen, maybe 3" by 7". Those poppers were tough as you were shooting from the roof top simulator and the four targets were between 306-318 yards.

In this pictured stage we were not to use bipods, tripods or any other hard support. Soft support such as a bag could be used. However, 5 sticks were provided as was some buggy cords. We were given 3 minutes to build anything we wanted from the sticks & cord and engage two targets around 370 and 470. Targets were 9" and 12". So after forming a tripod from the sticks and buggy I recalled a video the 6.5 Guys (youtube channel) had made about using sticks for rear support and added the rear stick here. I rested it on my left shoulder and had a much more solid position.
    11873787_739289932865642_3817569033560232112_n.jpg

First round hits on those targets, Thanks 6.5 Guys!

Finished up the match and came home with a trophy

BWSA%20002.jpg

Gearing up for Deer hunting I worked up a load at my long distance range.
    In an attempt to figure out what rifle I would use this year for Montana mule, I decided to shoot some 140 A-Max for the first time in this barrel using the same load that works well with 139 scenars, 42.7 grains of H4350. And I figured that with a longer bearing surface it might be good to drop it back a couple tenths (42.5) just in case the increased length raised the pressure and put me out of the 139 node. I seated the bullets -.029" back from a hard seat in the lands.

At the range, I hooked up the magnetospeed and fired the four rounds of 42.5... 2796fps SD=1 ES=3, I kind of kicked my self when I saw that as those were the only 4 I had bought.

Moving on to 42.7 I had 2810fps SD=3 ES=8...

So with my remaining rounds of 42.7 I detached the magnetospeed and put a couple rounds down range at 3, 4 and 6 hundred to see if Ballistic AE was tracking with the new data and was rewarded with near center hits. Looked at my predicted drop for 1000 and dialed that in to the scope and started shooting while holding about half a mil of wind.

Deer%20rainbow%20024.jpg

While watching the impacts I could tell it was going to be a good day and then promptly threw the next shot a touch high. LOL so I sent an extra one just for good measure.

After shooting another rifle I came back to shoot the smaller steel target on the right with the Creedmoor and finished off the remaining 4 rounds.

Minus the high impact the left target has 2.5" of vertical and the 4 on the right target has 2.25" of vertical.

Not a bad day and hunting rifle and load chosen!

First week of November found me in SE Montana. I and my three partners had a good time. All of us filled our tags even though it was about our toughest hunt yet. We saw plenty of deer but the large guys didn't want to be found.

Monday:
    The Ranch owner had expressed his displeasure with the amount of coyotes he had this year so first thing Monday morning I went to work. I made a good kneeling shot at about 130 yards with the Creedmoor. 140 Amax made a fist size exit on the off side.

MONTANA%202015%20004.jpg

Later, I spotted this nice buck. I was wanting to hold out for a more distant shot so I pointed it out to my partner who connected at about 150
    yards.

MONTANA%202015%20012%20-%20Copy.jpg

Strange thing was the above buck was bedded down and did not want to get up out of the sage. I made some noise... nothing. Did a little Indian dance... nothing, finely I decided I would go for a walk off to the side betting that if he couldn't keep both of us in view that may motivate him to get up... and it worked. My partner made a perfect heart/lung shot and he had his tag filled.

Day two, found my new partner (who had not yet filled his tag) and I scouting around. I found another coyote and made the shot at about 90 yards, sorry no picture of that one. But shot #2 of 2 for the creedmoor.

We saw a few little bucks and a lot of doe but nothing worth our time on day two.

Day three:
    Rain, wind and fog... what a muddy mess. Saw a few little guys in the morning again and also kicked up a coyote that someone must have educated as it never stopped running and found cover to quickly for me to get a shot at him. Later, in the afternoon, my partner and I found a great spot on a hill where I could see down into a couple large draws and neighboring hills and ridges. After lunch I went back solo hunting in this spot and spent the rest of the day watching a herd of 20+ doe and a dinky little 1.5 year old 2x2 hoping a big guys might move in. But luck was not on my side for a deer. I did however locate two elk sheds to collect on day four. My partner teamed up with the other two guys in our group and took a decent 4x3 for what we had been seeing.

Day four:
    This was my last day to hunt, so I decided to head back to the overwatch first thing hoping something big would have moved in. But, as I made my turn off the road and onto the two track I noticed a buck and doe in my path in the upper field leading back to my overwatch spot. The buck was pushing the doe hard and paid no attention to me while I checked him out with binoculars... nor as I slipped out and got my rifle ready. Nor as I laid down and set up on him 91 yards away... Boom.

montana2015%20004.jpg

One shot and a DRT impact at that. Not even a slight step forward. 140 A-max at 2800 strikes again. I figured this was the second biggest buck I laid eyes on this year and I didn't want to chance bypassing him only to find nothing down at the overwatch. Good thing too as only 6 deer were down there and nothing bigger than that same young 2x2.

So after getting some help from my partners loading the deer up in the truck and collecting the two elk sheds downing the valley we were on our way out of the field only to see the biggest buck of the year and two other decent sized guys pushing doe right where I dispatched my deer not one hour ago... Oh well, maybe next year we will meet again.

So in the end I have been very impressed by both the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge and Apache Gun Works machining. Teamed up with Manners, Stiller, Vortex, Berger bullets, and Hornady bullets and brass made for a very successful and fun filled year.

Interesting shooting match. Good hunting shots too. Well done on both counts. I always feel for the buck. Are you sure you couldn't let him pass on his genes first, then take him? lol I've only deer hunted twice. Both times were on public land, and had my deer spooked by others using the land during gun season. I may try again if I ever find private land to hunt.

Closest thing I have to a "precision" rifle is a Savage Axis my wife got me. I did a trigger job on it, and dropped it into a Boyd's stock. It will shoot right at 1 inch @ 100 yds with PMC Bronze 147 gr. I'm going to try the 168 gr GMM one day.

Haven't shot farther than 100 yds in years. I don't miss long range shooting the way my eyes are getting, but I would like to make my groups smaller at the ranges I do shoot. Of course, I would also like to finish my .308 AR build. It will have better glass.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think this one is mostly settled in finally. As is my M.O., I started out with an idea for a "budget" coyote rifle after the upper I put together for this purpose didn't meet expectations. I bought a Rem700 5R stainless .223 and had AllenM cut it down, thread it and pin/weld a Surefire brake on for me. I wasn't concerned with long distance, I wanted something compact that I could drag up into a treestand while bowhunting. I put it into an XLR Element chassis and topped it with a Vortex PST 6-24x50.

EF0AC395-247F-4B89-B76C-43E52EF6AEBE_zps2hyfdp0s.jpg

I wasn't getting the accuracy out of it that I wanted (it was sufficient for coyote work but I have a problem) so I decided to upgrade. That meant a new Krieger 8 twist barrel and complete action makeover by Ray Saltzman. The new barrel made the rifle heavy so I convinced myself that I should buy XLR's Carbon chassis to lighten things up a bit. Now I had a very high quality barreled action and chassis I figured it needed a better scope (I have a problem). I bought a Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18x50 and thought I had things right where I wanted them.

IMG_2760_zpsfrnbjyrw.jpg

Then I tried to hunt with it and encountered two issues. The rail I could attach to the bottom of the hand guard was too far forward to use with my tripod effectively and it was way too heavy to shoot in anything but a well supported position. I sent the barreled action back to Ray Saltzman and had him reduce the profile of the barrel which lightened things up considerably but not enough. I started searching for a lighter stock and scope and decided on the Magpul Hunter and the either the Burris XTR II 4-20x50 or the Nightforce 4-14x50 F1. I liked the options of the Burris over the NF but there are none available for probably another month. I've also owned 3 NXS scopes previously so NF was a known good option for me. The stock came in last week and the scope and rings arrived today.

8157C0AD-9A75-4A0A-8C26-9CA597E51A1F_zpsktmedwbr.jpg

C5558B90-2831-479B-AEC6-AF61396FA919_zpshqjtunp5.jpg

I may try to swap out for slightly lower rings but other than that I like the setup. It's considerably lighter than before, I still have my DBM setup and FFP scope and I pulled $1000 back out of the rifle. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with this configuration after wasting a good chunk of change getting here. I wish it was the first time I've gone down this path but it isn't. I may learn someday but I never really know what I'll like until I get it in my hands and use it.

Top Bottom