• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I’ll keep you posted if I get anything meaningful.

I think sagamore-one is in the right ballpark. And there is no reason he’s not hit the nail on the head. I would like to know how he figured it out so I won’t look so stupid going forward.
    A K prefix with your serial number would place it in 1948.

d0e8826ed6b1793a23d27271cbda5c56.jpg

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I would guess because the 4 line change was in 48 combined with the lower serial number.

That's why I say late 48- early 49

The lack of a K prefix is still interesting as that would be a pre war model, but it wouldn't have a 4 line.
    Exactly! I wonder what the chances of them forgetting the k on the cylinder and frame are? And what the hell is the “w”?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Exactly! I wonder what the chances of them forgetting the k on the cylinder and frame are? And what the hell is the “w”?
    I don't think they always put the prefix on the cylinder. I have seen it sometimes for some reason though. The frame should have had it though, but there is always the oddballs that get out I guess.

The W I have no idea.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    On this particular gun there should also be a serial number stamped on the flat on the under side of the barrel where the ejector rod goes. You may have to look and look again to see the tiny K on the barrel and cylinder as the k is not up close to the numbers and may be some distance away.. Same on bottom of grip frame. The other numbers are build numbers and should be on the frame, yoke, side plate, and frame. Letters often designate factory repair.
    The 3 line 4 line stuff is kinda irrelevant as the factory used from stockpiles of parts.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    On this particular gun there should also be a serial number stamped on the flat on the under side of the barrel where the ejector rod goes. You may have to look and look again to see the tiny K on the barrel and cylinder as the k is not up close to the numbers and may be some distance away.. Same on bottom of grip frame. The other numbers are build numbers and should be on the frame, yoke, side plate, and frame. Letters often designate factory repair.
    The 3 line 4 line stuff is kinda irrelevant as the factory used from stockpiles of parts.
    I never thought to check under the ejector rod! Behold a very faint K! The numbers all match but still no k anywhere else. Terrific! We got it. Much thanks to you all.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    [/ISPOILER]On the cylinder look about half an inch left of serial number. Same on frame bottom and barrel. Side plate is marked on the underside of plate. (you need to remove plate to see numbers)
    The cylinder definitely has no k but the numbers match. I guess I’ll get around to taking the plate off later out of curiosity.

I hate to take those side plates off. You need such a big screwdriver to pry them out. :popcorn:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The cylinder definitely has no k but the numbers match. I guess I’ll get around to taking the plate off later out of curiosity.

I hate to take those side plates off. You need such a big screwdriver to pry them out. :popcorn:
    Pro tip, It's easier if you just hit the opposite side with a hammer

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    You are using the WRONG end of the screwdriver! Use the handle to tap the frame adjacent to the plate. The vibrations will let the plate fall off. DO NOT PRY!
    Hard to tell what the w stands for.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Pro tip, It's easier if you just hit the opposite side with a hammer
    You are using the WRONG end of the screwdriver! Use the handle to tap the frame adjacent to the plate. The vibrations will let the plate fall off. DO NOT PRY!
    Hard to tell what the w stands for.
    I didn’t think it would take you guys long to jump on the screwdriver thing.. lol

Top Bottom