• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Once upon a time I thought I knew something about S&W revolvers. Now not so much.

I have a 5 screw pre model number k-22, 4 line. It has a 5 digit serial number, 412xx. There is a W above the serial number. I’m thinking it was mage between 1948 and 1957. Typically the “W” would date the gun but I can’t find anything!

Any ideas?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Once upon a time I thought I knew something about S&W revolvers. Now not so much.

I have a 5 screw pre model number k-22, 4 line. It has a 5 digit serial number, 412xx. There is a W above the serial number. I’m thinking it was mage between 1948 and 1957. Typically the “W” would date the gun but I can’t find anything!

Any ideas?
    K before the serial number?

1682958387176.png

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Nothing. I’m just lost here. The only letter is a lone ”w” under the crane. No letters on the bottom of the grip frame.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Here's where I go for answers...

actually been there and own a copy of The Standard Catalog Of S&W's that I referenced to figure out it must have been built between 1948 and 1957. I’m getting closer to inquiring with s&w. I’m just too cheap to pay for a manufacture date. I don’t care what hardware store ordered it. Lol

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    As you probably know, SW has always followed their serial number nomenclature - except when they haven't. LOL

I would post a couple pics of the gun and markings on the SW forum (or here) as the serial number doesn't sound like a K-22. They have some real experts there in every subset of SWs, I am more of post-57 SW guy so about a 99.8% of whatever I think is wrong...

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Face of the cylinder?
    You are a pretty good detective! Yep those numbers match all of the rest. No letters anywhere. Not even the “w”. I think it’s a random number only assigned to prototypes all of which were given to Harry Truman. I’ll offer this fine and rare piece to ingo’ers for the low, low price of $50K. Here’s chance to own a piece of history.
    I really do appreciate the help!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You are a pretty good detective! Yep those numbers match all of the rest. No letters anywhere. Not even the “w”. I think it’s a random number only assigned to prototypes all of which were given to Harry Truman. I’ll offer this fine and rare piece to ingo’ers for the low, low price of $50K. Here’s chance to own a piece of history.
    I really do appreciate the help!
    Haha,
    Can you post a pic of what the Made in USA looks like.

Is it one line or 4?

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    As you probably know, SW has always followed their serial number nomenclature - except when they haven't. LOL

I would post a couple pics of the gun and markings on the SW forum (or here) as the serial number doesn't sound like a K-22. They have some real experts there in every subset of SWs, I am more of post-57 SW guy so about a 99.8% of whatever I think is wrong...
    Every bit of what you said rings true with me. I guess I’ll amble over to the s&w site and see if I can get them confused too. If it were a one liner instead of the 4 line maybe I could get closer. But then it doesn’t have a pencil barrel or the correct sights for a pencil.

maybe I’ll just forget it and make up my own story. Most of the next generations wouldn’t know anything unless it was paint and plastic.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The lack of a K on a 4 line is interesting. I just looked over some of my reading material and see no reference to a W. With that I would guess late 48-early 49. It is awesome that all the component numbers match.

That's a nice pistol you have, and I would be interested to hear what you find out over at the SW forum.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    The lack of a K is interesting. I just looked over some of my reading material and see no reference to a W. With that I would guess late 48-early 49. It is awesome that all the component numbers match.

That's a nice pistol you have, and I would be interested to hear what you find out over at the SW forum.
    I’ll keep you posted if I get anything meaningful.

I think sagamore-one is in the right ballpark. And there is no reason he’s not hit the nail on the head. I would like to know how he figured it out so I won’t look so stupid going forward.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I’ll keep you posted if I get anything meaningful.

I think sagamore-one is in the right ballpark. And there is no reason he’s not hit the nail on the head. I would like to know how he figured it out so I won’t look so stupid going forward.
    I would guess because the 4 line change was in 48 combined with the lower serial number.

That's why I say late 48- early 49

The lack of a K prefix is still interesting as that would be a pre war model, but it wouldn't have a 4 line.

Top Bottom