Potentially getting out of my current career, it is scary.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I have been in television since I was a senior in high school in 2001. A year ago my job at my previous employer was eliminated after I had been there 17.5 years (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/460635-i-%93downsized-%93-today.html). I was able to secure new employment at the only other television station in town as family and wife’s job means no moving. While I didn’t have a terrible shift, it isn’t great mentally (especially for being able to get to church on Sunday as a family) or family time. After much thinking and talking to trusted coworkers, I applied for two jobs outside of tv (have an interview for one). If I was to get one and leave, not sure what my next career would be but I need at least sundays off for family and recharge time (one job is m-f, other would be at least sundays off).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, good luck! After ~16 years in computer support I moved over to Information Security, so I can understand how daunting it is to move out of your comfort zone. It sounds like there are good reasons why you're making the move. Just remember the positives and work hard and I'm sure you'll do well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been in television since I was a senior in high school in 2001. A year ago my job at my previous employer was eliminated after I had been there 17.5 years (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/460635-i-%93downsized-%93-today.html). I was able to secure new employment at the only other television station in town as family and wife’s job means no moving. While I didn’t have a terrible shift, it isn’t great mentally (especially for being able to get to church on Sunday as a family) or family time. After much thinking and talking to trusted coworkers, I applied for two jobs outside of tv (have an interview for one). If I was to get one and leave, not sure what my next career would be but I need at least sundays off for family and recharge time (one job is m-f, other would be at least sundays off).

Good luck! Your boss and role make more difference than specific industry.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Funny thing was after I applied for two jobs and had an interview for one, this sense of relief and stress went away. The only other time I remember feeling like this was when we had credit card debt due to maternity leave and not making headway. We ended up refinancing our home and got rid of at least 75% of it. The feeling after the day of just getting the process started felt the same way.

Still not sure what to do long term but short term it is time for a change.

Told my boss yesterday that I’m doing this (not giving notice I’m leaving but letting him know I’m looking Incase he gets a phone call) and he understands. Said there might be a different position open later but it still doesn’t help distance (15 miles which isn’t bad but I have had 8 or less for over 12 years) or pay. If nothing has happened by the time that position opens up, I may explore it. It will either be an 2:45-11:45pm shift including weekends or week day mornings. Neither is ideal but might be better then now.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's a tough one. I think sometimes, when God is trying to close a door on us, he has to make us uncomfortable to get us to be willing to go through the door he's opening for us now. It's possible, this current job of yours was doing just that. It is scary (and exciting) not knowing if you're opening the right door...and what's on the other side of it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Getting out of the media and broadcast industry was the best decision I ever made. I worked overnights at a TV station for several years and it wore me down to a nub. Did early mornings in radio, which was a little better, but still a grind. The pay was absolutely terrible for both.

My experience was on the reporting and producing side, not technical, but when I left my TV job I started my own freelance consulting business doing media training and some PR, copywriting and general marketing. I spent a good 2-3 years building up a small client base and building a portfolio. That led me into longer-term corporate contract gigs through a couple of placement agencies. I had the flexibility to work in roles and gain experience I didn't have, and the freedom to move on to something new once I learned what I wanted to learn. After three years of that I was pretty well rounded in my skill set and I got tired of being a hired gun so I went to work directly for a major global corporation.

I love the job I have now. The pay is more than triple what I made in broadcat, the hours are better, I get to work from home a lot, and deadlines are measured in weeks and days, not minutes and seconds.

There are a lot of large companies that have their own internal video and technical departments to film and produce webcasts, training videos, executive communications, employee Town Halls, etc.

My company held an event just yesterday that I attended and was webcast across the entire global organization. I counted at least five production people on site. They are all in house employees.

If there aren't any global companies near you there are always for hire companies that act as vendors and do this type of work for smaller businesses on contract as needed.

Don't be afraid to leave TV. There are a lot of good corporate gigs out there. They pay much better, and they offer more opportunity for advancement and career growth.

Top Bottom