• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I think a mental health provider would be the first place to consult about Firearm availability to the patient. Then check on carry options. This is a Disease, like Cancer, COPD, Heart Disease and all other possible Fatal ailments. Please seek treatment, I've lost several Loved ones to Mental Illness.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    There is no blanket answer for your question. You need to consult with the medical professional that is treating said individual. If there isn't one, please seek one out.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I heard Ted Nugent ask recently. Do you need a permit for free speech ? Do you need a permit to attend yours or any church ? you don't need a permit for none of the 10 amendments except the 2nd one ?

Last edited:

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I guess I should have added a little more information. My wife recently had our third child in as many years, and this has caused some instability on her hormones. She shoots well, and already has her LTCH (although she doesn't actually carry). She has had some "baby blues" or minor PPD. We are looking into her beginning some therapy, but we are concerned that might show up on a NCIS background check or have her LTCH taken away.

Obviously either way we are going to get her the help needed, we just want to be prepared for what may happen going forward.

I heard Ted Nugent ask recently. Do you need a permit for free speech ? Do you need a permit to attend yours or any church ? Hell no you don't need a permit for none of the 10 amendments except the 2nd one. Get a dose of uncle teds understanding of the 2nd amendment and all your permit worries should be resolved.

That is great in theory, but in reality we live in a country were certain permits are required or you risk jail time.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I heard Ted Nugent ask recently. Do you need a permit for free speech ? Do you need a permit to attend yours or any church ? Hell no you don't need a permit for none of the 10 amendments except the 2nd one. Get a dose of uncle teds understanding of the 2nd amendment and all your permit worries should be resolved.

So you advocate blindly putting someone with PPD in a position that they be able to hurt themselves? As I stated above, the medical professional will be able to judge to what extent the individual may need assistance. If it is a simple issue of attachment or lethargic behavior, then it should not be a problem. But if PPD manifests itself as self destructive or suicidal tendencies, then you would be being irresponsible.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I guess I should have added a little more information. My wife recently had our third child in as many years, and this has caused some instability on her hormones. She shoots well, and already has her LTCH (although she doesn't actually carry). She has had some "baby blues" or minor PPD. We are looking into her beginning some therapy, but we are concerned that might show up on a NCIS background check or have her LTCH taken away.

Obviously either way we are going to get her the help needed, we just want to be prepared for what may happen going forward.

That is great in theory, but in reality we live in a country were certain permits are required or you risk jail time.

You can ask the medical professional if the information is reported and make your decision based on that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hope that a treatment decision is not being made about what may or may not happen regarding future gun purchases.

Treatment first, everything else takes second place. serious depression is nothing to ignore and hop for the best.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I hope that a treatment decision is not being made about what may or may not happen regarding future gun purchases.

Treatment first, everything else takes second place. serious depression is nothing to ignore and hop for the best.

Post #6, 2nd paragraph. Of course her mental well being comes first!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Tarrisoff warning.(Google the case)
    Nothing else should apply. If someone (see state regs) that's a mental health professional thinks someone they work with is a danger to themselves or others, we have a duty to warn. As it should be......
    The plan must be thought through, the means accessible and the plan must be lethal or able to cause great bodily harm.
    IANAL, IANAMHPIYS

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Tarrisoff warning.(Google the case)
    Nothing else should apply. If someone (see state regs) that's a mental health professional thinks someone they work with is a danger to themselves or others, we have a duty to warn. As it should be......
    The plan must be thought through, the means accessible and the plan must be lethal or able to cause great bodily harm.
    IANAL, IANAMHPIYS

That's pretty much what I am looking for. I don't feel she is any danger to herself or any of the kids, she is just having some hormonal issues right now and she has expressed her desire for someone to talk to. I appreciate the help fellas.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Sitt, get her the help she requires first and foremost. Be a stable point for her. I speak from experience. If you can be a stable point for her, that will help her with the treatment. I know we always talk about how firearms are for our protection, but sometimes firearms need to be put on the back burner and other issues take priority.

Looking at IC 47-35-1-7 the definition of a proper person, I can't see a reason a LTCH would be revoked, so I'm not sure anything would be reported to NICS. Keep in mind, this is not legal advice. This is strictly my interpretation of Indiana Code.

Get her the help she needs, and cross a legal road if it comes up. I don't believe it will though.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    If the actual goal is to get people the help they need then tying any kind of reduction of "rights" or "freedoms" to seeking out help is going to be counterproductive. Many of those who are concerned about their rights and freedoms being taken away will not seek that help they need.

The original post is proof of that. Why else would the question even be raised? I am not saying that the OP will not seek the help, but the question is being raised for a reason.

Top Bottom