• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The point of WaPo and The Trace sinking resources into this subject is to get mag cutoffs and external safeties imposed by law.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I have now carried a 320 for 2 years? now.
    Ive dropped it a few times along the way, its never discharged without my booger hook on the bang switch.
    I have a few of them.
    First... was a round chambered? It doesn't count when the magwell is empty, and no round in pipe.

Would you like to add another to your collection?
    No safety, just the decocker. Let me know how it goes carrying it for two years...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    First... was a round chambered? It doesn't count when the magwell is empty, and no round in pipe.

Would you like to add another to your collection?
    No safety, just the decocker. Let me know how it goes carrying it for two years...
    My carry pistols always have a full mag and one in the pipe, I bought M17's for the reason of the amby safety. Its only used when the pistol is pushed into the holster.

To many folks have "Pops" with striker fired pistols either drawing or putting them back in the holster.

Funny that I learned from some here that ones booger hook is the best safety avilable.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Not sure what you are referring to related to a decocker for a 320.
    You are correct. I just looked at it.
    I was thinking it had the decocker like the P229; it does not.
    No safety either.
    It's been to the range exactly one time, and been hiding since, so I remembered incorrectly.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I chalk the whole P320 thing up to a combination of the following factors:

The original drop issue - The trigger assembly has enough mass and inertia to pull itself when dropped in the wrong orientation and does not have a trigger tab or hinged trigger to prevent this.

Enormous popularity - Huge sales numbers, lots of guns in circulation, more NDs attributed to it.

Lack of design features to prevent user NDs - The market wanted this. It fires when you pull the trigger and has no added features to interfere with that. No DA pull, no hinged trigger, no external safety lever.

Cops - Enormous numbers sold to police. Police are uniquely unsafe with guns (sorry not sorry, I've seen you shoot), and police shooting themselves gets media attention when Joe Blow shooting himself in his truck does not.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Mmm hmm...

"No one tracks these shootings nationwide, so the AP collected media reports and surveyed agencies across the country through public records requests. The review was not comprehensive, due to the sheer number of U.S. law enforcement agencies and a lack of reporting requirements for such shootings. But it provides a snapshot of the problem, documenting 1,422 unintentional discharges since 2012 at 258 agencies, and uncovering detailed reports on 426."

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Mmm hmm...

"No one tracks these shootings nationwide, so the AP collected media reports and surveyed agencies across the country through public records requests. The review was not comprehensive, due to the sheer number of U.S. law enforcement agencies and a lack of reporting requirements for such shootings. But it provides a snapshot of the problem, documenting 1,422 unintentional discharges since 2012 at 258 agencies, and uncovering detailed reports on 426."
    …and the officer has since moved up in the ranks of the ATF.

Goes on to say he kept his job.

Another in that story said he shot a guy out of pure adrenaline, did not consciously pull the trigger.

Training is the answer, seems to me.

But anyway, how many of these 1422 were from the dreaded 320?

Top Bottom