Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But every time I try to make the case on INGO that 4473s are a form of a registry, even if a poor one, I am ridiculed.

Do you think they could get a warrant off of someone's name being on a 4473?

All it takes, IMO, is as part of any legislation they enable the use of the 4473s as a registry.

Sorry for not funny, not picture posts. Back to the funny pics!

-rvb

Yeah. It kinda is. It's just that the database for registrants is on paper, distributed, difficult to access, and the records are not always perminent.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yeah. It kinda is. It's just that the database for registrants is on paper, distributed, difficult to access, and the records are not always perminent.

You lost me on that last part. Barring a fire, in what way aren't 4473s permanent? As I understand it, gun sellers must keep those documents indefinitely and if the seller goes out of business, their 4473s are turned in to the government.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You lost me on that last part. Barring a fire, in what way aren't 4473s permanent? As I understand it, gun sellers must keep those documents indefinitely and if the seller goes out of business, their 4473s are turned in to the government.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-long-are-licensees-required-maintain-atf-forms-4473

Licensees shall retain each ATF Form 4473 for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. Where a licensee has initiated a National Instant Background Check System (NICS) check for a proposed firearms transaction, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm is not made, the licensee shall record any transaction number on the Form 4473, and retain the Form 4473 for a period of not less than 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A); 27 CFR 478.129(b)]

So. What they're saying is, if you don't buy the firearm, you can still be mob-shamed for a period of 5 years for even thinking about buying a gun. And of course, 20 years if you actually buy it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

On paper*, hard to search, and incomplete..... that describes the NFRTR perfectly (the NFA registry). The only difference is the govt admits the NFRTR is a registry.

*only recently added electronic forms

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On paper*, hard to search, and incomplete..... that describes the NFRTR perfectly (the NFA registry). The only difference is the govt admits the NFRTR is a registry.

*only recently added electronic forms
    This probably needed it’s own thread so the pic-Nazis don’t complain. (Just kidding Tom :): )

But one more thing. It’s not like a registry in that nefarious government actors can’t just print out a list of all registered gun owners. There’s a paper trail back to the gun’s last known transferee if the sale is through a FFL. But it would take a very ling time to collect all the stored forms, scan them into electronic form, and sift through who might still possibly own what.

Back to pics. Sorry for the transgressions. I’ll try to find 2 funny pics as penance.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess I really don't understand the system. My thinking was that a manufacturer sells guns to a distributor, the distributor sells to the gun store and the gun store to the gun purchaser. The serial number is traced from the manufacturer through each step to the 4473 that is filled out by the gun purchaser.

Gun is confiscated by the police, the manufacturer is contacted, then the distributor, then the gun shop. Cops go to the shop and find the hard copy 4473, and there it is; the original purchaser's information.

Is this not how it works?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    However it may have been sold to a proper, improper individual or stolen.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We are having a discussion about 4473's if you want funny pol pics then post them.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I guess I really don't understand the system. My thinking was that a manufacturer sells guns to a distributor, the distributor sells to the gun store and the gun store to the gun purchaser. The serial number is traced from the manufacturer through each step to the 4473 that is filled out by the gun purchaser.

Gun is confiscated by the police, the manufacturer is contacted, then the distributor, then the gun shop. Cops go to the shop and find the hard copy 4473, and there it is; the original purchaser's information.

Is this not how it works?

I once got a call from a police agency three states away because I had sent a registry card to the manufacturer. I explained I had traded it at a local gun store (closed by then) and had no idea to whom they had sold it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    72574819_2359980830797124_1548266582709370880_n.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Deplorable

I managed to watch the PBS interview of Hillary and Chelsea hawking their new book without breaking the TV. Like mother, like daughter, Chelsea likes the term her mother coined during her campaign.

Chelsea "...adults are still behaving deplorably..."

I don't think she was referring to her parents.

wheniwas15-madadalwayssmelled-like-monica-lewinsky-22600095.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom