• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Dicks before this recent stuff, had a limit on all rimfire ammunition. I think limits are silly, money is money. But that is a valid point about gun buyers, they do want ammo. But how hard is it to get a shipment of 12 gauge in? When my family owned a convenience store, we would go out and buy at Costco, before letting product run out, if there was a spike in sales. The guy can always go out and buy some in bulk, and sell it slightly above cost, he doesn't HAVE to run out. Unless ammunition is not for re-sale ( our store didn't sell guns or ammo ).

I saw you said he has almost every caliber. Does anyone know if he has 32 S&W Long?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have never been to PSS and I'm sure they're good people but I would think a sign would be nice stating only two (2) boxes of ammo. Also I do not see why 12 gauge shells would be in the panic buying frenzy so maybe a 2 box limit on say .223, 5.56 or 7.62x39. His shop, his rules though.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    It's a toss up.

Good guys, odd ways.

I called asking about parts for my fathers Xmas, to see if they had them in stock bc my normal shop is closed for inventory.

Bob himself answered the phone and told me to call back an hour later bc he was to busy to walk out on the floor to check.

He didn't loose out on much business that day, but what he lost Elmore's in Greenwood gained.

I'm not pointing fingers, but I'm not a strange face in hardly any shop on the southside of Indy.

Spend money where you'd like; thats what it comes too.

My rant really has nothing to do with the ammo issues, just my experience with them.

I'm indifferent about it all. All in all, I'd still go back, but they don't get the first shot at my business. I'm a customer, not a nuisance.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    As a heads up, I was at the Walmart by Clay Terrace this morning and they'd just gotten more 22LR and 9 in stock. It wasn't a ton by any means but it was nice to finally see some bigger boxes on the shelves. Hopefully they still have some for you tomorrow if you can make it out there!

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    We were in buying primers last year when the shortage was on, and there was a limit then. Luckily, my Mother In-Law and Wife were with me. So each one bought the limit and I was happy. There is power in numbers.

I was in a few weeks back before the panic, and I bought 4 boxes of 5.7 @ $24.99...........a good price with dealer price hovering slightly below $20. I told my buddy he better get in and get some, and I guess right after I was in, someone cleared the shelf, and there was quite a few boxes stacked up. I don't know when they'll have any in again.

Now I like to shoot, but really, my 5.7 isn't a plinker. It's a SHTF gun, and I think a few boxes is enough once you've shot through a few and become use to it. JMO

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'll still buy there. My favorite place by far. If you need a gun, you need ammo. Buying both allows one to walk out with protection. Nice concept. Sorry, but if you are this late to the game, you have to expect some inconvenience.
    I was checking online ammo sites. They were out of most everything including 38 special.
    I would have to really neeeed ammo before I'd go to Wal-mart.
    Bob's an honorable guy. If you want to steer customers away because of this, then maybe you want to examine your heart. At least explain to these new shooters why you choose not to go there. Either way, he has a strong and loyal customer base. Probably making more every day

Last edited:

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bob's is a great shop and has always treated me fair. I think he limiting is fine for now. but hey, i don't go in there or Elmore's anymore because I don't want to smell like an ashtray when I leave......

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    It seems the shops can't win....

If they jack up their prices to reflect the current panic, they get slammed on forums like this as 'gougers' or 'profiteers' (how dare they try to maximize their profit!). If they hold prices and ration what they sell, they get beat up for that as well.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I admire Bob and his stance. I think he trying to ensure everyone gets a shot at the available ammo.

This is true but the real issue are thier impatience with common customer service, kinda like doing buisness with a hasty ol irrate gun shop owners.
    They must understand they are VERY small fish in this sea. There is one single online or heck even my lgs could sink thier ship if they had the ability to open or relocate near PSS.

They must invest not only in product but better customer service, attitude, observe a little more patience with good people, and simply be available to your customers in anyway to earn the communities respect,
    My family lived near PSS for many many years way before that first walmart exhisted across thier street. My familly no longer shops there due to some of the things ive read here, Imo, he can keep things the way he wants +1 for him on helpin distribute his supply evenly but there are other issues here they should improve on.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    It's a toss up.

Good guys, odd ways.

I called asking about parts for my fathers Xmas, to see if they had them in stock bc my normal shop is closed for inventory.

Bob himself answered the phone and told me to call back an hour later bc he was to busy to walk out on the floor to check.

He didn't loose out on much business that day, but what he lost Elmore's in Greenwood gained.

I'm not pointing fingers, but I'm not a strange face in hardly any shop on the southside of Indy.

Spend money where you'd like; thats what it comes too.

My rant really has nothing to do with the ammo issues, just my experience with them.

I'm indifferent about it all. All in all, I'd still go back, but they don't get the first shot at my business. I'm a customer, not a nuisance.
    I feel just the opposite from your view. It really makes me angry when I make the effort to drive to any business (not just GS's) and am discussing a purchase with the salesman and the phone rings, Then while he attends to the phone customer, I am left standing there. When I phone in I don't mind being either put on hold or asked to call back. I am not inconvenienced by this as I am usually in my easy chair sipping coffee. To me the person that calls in and demands immediate attention is just as bad as a guy that walks into the business and steps in front of me demanding service - at that point we will have a serious discussion.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Hoarders create the problem. You can't really blame the GS for wanting to keep some ammo for others. If you feel the need to hoard, reload. :rockwoot:
    I kind of disagree, first my son and I do reload - 35+ calibers, we do have a stock of powder (probably 60 - 70 lbs between us) bullets (several thousand), primers (around 20-25 thousand) and dies, lubri-sizer, molds for almost all handgun calibers, a good supply of lead and an excellent Hornady lock and load progressive with all the extras. However some calibers are at this time not economical to reload. These include 7.62 x 39, and 7.62 X 54R, 8 mm Mauser, 30-06, .303 British, and at times .308. When surplus ammo is available for $.30 - $.40 a round, I can't justify paying $.45 a round for components. I do buy in bulk - and always have tried to buy at least 1K at a time. Been doing this for about 20 years - yeah I have a large supply due to all the calibers we use. Maybe I am hording, if so tough, I have purchased bulk ammo when it wasn't popular, and will continue to do so. The shortage is not limited to loaded ammo, I have been trying to buy 62 grain .223 bullets for about a month - long before the shooting. I was in contact with a dealer that said he would have it in stock by the first of the year, bought 1k 150gr .308 - was calling back to buy the .223's don't know if they will be available now.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I heard that they may lose their FFL. Anyone else heard of this? I can't stand the place myself. Every time I've been there they've made me
    blowup.gif

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I can understand both sides. You as the consumer can't understand why you can't just buy what you want when it's right in front of you. That would be irritating, yes. However if the gun shop sells a 12ga shotgun and the customer wants a couple boxes of ammo to go with it, then you as an owner look silly when you say I'm all out of ammo because I just sold my last 5 boxes to someone else. That may not be his intentions, but that's the only thing I can think of.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I feel just the opposite from your view. It really makes me angry when I make the effort to drive to any business (not just GS's) and am discussing a purchase with the salesman and the phone rings, Then while he attends to the phone customer, I am left standing there. When I phone in I don't mind being either put on hold or asked to call back. I am not inconvenienced by this as I am usually in my easy chair sipping coffee. To me the person that calls in and demands immediate attention is just as bad as a guy that walks into the business and steps in front of me demanding service - at that point we will have a serious discussion.

Well everyone is entitled to their view.

But someone walking in front of me at the shop would also irritate me as well.

:ingo:

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Ironically, I remember the Walmart in my area limiting ammo purchases to two boxes per customer 4 years ago (including .22lr). I remember that several LGS in my area were going to Walmart and cleaning them out of all of their ammo to resell in their own stores. Yes, Walmart made the same profit so why should they care? Because they want to satisfy all of their customers and not just a few. When they started limiting amount of ammo that could be purchased by an individual customer, guess what happened. More ammunition was on the shelves and available to more customers so more people were satisfied. I would imagine that the only customers who were highly irritated at this practice were the LGS' who were buying them out to resell at highly inflated prices and the hoarders.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is true but the real issue are thier impatience with common customer service, kinda like doing buisness with a hasty ol irrate gun shop owners.
    They must understand they are VERY small fish in this sea. There is one single online or heck even my lgs could sink thier ship if they had the ability to open or relocate near PSS.

They must invest not only in product but better customer service, attitude, observe a little more patience with good people, and simply be available to your customers in anyway to earn the communities respect,
    My family lived near PSS for many many years way before that first walmart exhisted across thier street. My familly no longer shops there due to some of the things ive read here, Imo, he can keep things the way he wants +1 for him on helpin distribute his supply evenly but there are other issues here they should improve on.

Just a comment on what you say.
    Yes, they do come off short with folks at times but do you see how many people run through there every day. Just not enough time to be social as many are waiting to be taken care of. If you do stop in and they are not swamped most of the staff are fine folks and very conversive.

No knock on your observation.

Top Bottom