• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Even mentioning Lutefisk makes people fly into murderous rage, so I want to try it once.

Heard that some Lutheran churches with Swedish-ancestry congregations do annual Lutefisk fry.

Anybody know of a place within an hour drive of Indy?
    Any lead’s much appreciated!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I don’t know of any place around here that does.

I’m not sure I’m that brave, even Andrew Zimmern made funny strained faces when he tried it on Bizarre Foods. And I’ve seen him eat just about everything and anything.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don’t know of any place around here that does.

I’m not sure I’m that brave, even Andrew Zimmern made funny strained faces when he tried it on Bizarre Foods. And I’ve seen him eat just about everything and anything.
    This. I've heard it is more than an acquired taste. You have to have a genetic predisposition to it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Even mentioning Lutefisk makes people fly into murderous rage, so I want to try it once.

Heard that some Lutheran churches with Swedish-ancestry congregations do annual Lutefisk fry.

Mostly in Minnesota and UP Michigan. You could always do what my great grandma did, have someone mail it to you from Finland...

And it's not a "fry".

Are you trying to insinuate something about my great grandma?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Must have been watching "Drop Dead Gorgeous", eh? I love that movie, of course any movie where Denise Richards dies or is horribly disfigured gets two thumbs up from me, no matter how pathetic it is.

Edit: The wife said to try IKEA, she thinks they have it in their deli/snackbar.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison

Irelt the same way about Vegemite. Some things are better lleft untasted.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ve never had lutefisk, but a friend of mine was stationed in Hawaii when he was in the army, and I remember one time he brought home a bag of some kind of fish jerky, and said he ate it all the time in Hawaii. I tried a piece of it, if you’ve ever smelled a dead fish laying on the river bank in the hot summer sun, THAT’S what that stuff tasted like, I didn’t even chew it, just bit of a small piece and immediately spit it across the room!

I’ve heard lutefisk is pretty much the same.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I haven’t tried it but I hear there’s a specific way to eat it!

1-sit at your table
    2-have someone sit the plate in front of you
    3-pinch your nostrils shut
    4-have a bite
    5-find the nearest cat, immediately lick its a$$ to try and get the taste out of your mouth
    6-place a curse on the ancestors of the person who thought of lutefisk!
    7-repeat step 5 again, and continue to do so till the taste is out of your mouth
    8-if additional cats are needed, please contact your local shelter!

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    According to our bookkeeper at work, at one time the Butcher in Carmel carried it. She said that fish is kind of like smelt, and is typically served when they're running, which is usually starting around Thanksgiving. She said she'd be more than happy to bring some back to me on her next trip to LaCrosse; I vehemently declined.

She said there's also a Norwegian community somewhere in Indy that may have more info on local availability.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    " ... it's firm, yet melts in the mouth ... with the consistency of frozen vaseline, yet it's warm ..."

That description makes me want to try it even more! I’m weird like that :thatshot:
    Also, nothing breaks the image of a mellow gentle Upper Peninsula guy like mentioning Lutefisk — insta-rage :)

Top Bottom