• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Are shotguns with at least an 18 inch barrel with pistol grips installed considered pistols or shotguns and are they a controlled firearm?

"Controlled" in what way? NFA? Nope.

I believe the pistol-grip-only shotguns (Mossberg 500 Cruiser, etc) are classified as a handgun under the definition given in the Indiana Code (specifically paragraph 1):

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

Thus, they require an LTCH to carry (even in your vehicle) and cannot be sold in such a configuration to persons under 21 years of age. At least, those are the rules we operate under at the shop where I work.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    All I know is that I cannot purchase one under 21 because they are not rifles or shotguns. I BELIEVE they are still just title 1 guns though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The issue is not as simple as just the 18" barrel, as noted earlier there is also the 26" overall length. With a pump gun like a Mossberg 500, or Rem 870, the 26" limit is not a big issue because you have the receiver length that adds to the overall length.

Now where its really easy to get into trouble with shotguns is when you have a gun that has a very short receiver, like an old side-by-side, and you cut the barrels down and pistol grip it, it is very easy to get yourself into a "too short" situation where the LOA is less than 26".

So you have to deal with BOTH limits unless you want to file all sorts of extra paperwork.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    "Controlled" in what way? NFA? Nope.

I believe the pistol-grip-only shotguns (Mossberg 500 Cruiser, etc) are classified as a handgun under the definition given in the Indiana Code (specifically paragraph 1):

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

Thus, they require an LTCH to carry (even in your vehicle) and cannot be sold in such a configuration to persons under 21 years of age. At least, those are the rules we operate under at the shop where I work.

Bingo, Good Answer, you are absolutely correct and the same answer that I gave in another thread. :rockwoot:asking the very same question

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    referring to the pistol definition........ is a pistol grip shotgun really designed to fire with just one hand????? I mean it still has a fore grip right?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    referring to the pistol definition........ is a pistol grip shotgun really designed to fire with just one hand????? I mean it still has a fore grip right?

You can try it. When you get back from the ER, let us know how it went. :D

I don't see how you could, except but with the lightest loads. With real shotgun loads, a pistol griped shot gun is a hand full. (By that I mean two hand fulls. :) )

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I know some think they're handguns, but I'm pretty sure they're not. They're still non-NFA, but not handguns, rifles or shotguns. They're just an "other" title 1 firearms that are not exceptions to the under 21 age requirement (only rifles and shotguns) as set forth in the GCA.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You can try it. When you get back from the ER, let us know how it went. :D

I don't see how you could, except but with the lightest loads. With real shotgun loads, a pistol griped shot gun is a hand full. (By that I mean two hand fulls. :) )

exactly!

so does it meet the requirements set forth for a pistol? I wouldn't think so.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have fired my Serbu one handed with standard 12ga birdshot, sjstill has as well, it wasn't that bad at all, really!

As far as the original question, shooter521 nailed it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    with mine you can fire it one handed ONCE i do think i fired it one handed a time or 2 but its not real plesant i shoot it from the hip pretty well ive learned when shooting from the hip to aim about where you think it should be then pick up about a foot and let her rip

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I know some think they're handguns, but I'm pretty sure they're not. They're still non-NFA, but not handguns, rifles or shotguns. They're just an "other" title 1 firearms that are not exceptions to the under 21 age requirement (only rifles and shotguns) as set forth in the GCA.

Here is what I do know from personal experience. The Indiana State Police were making arrests on individuals who did not possess an LTCH and had the Mossberg's in their vehicle. I do not know if this is still being done or if policy has changed or what happened at Court. This was many years ago and maybe their enforcement practice has changed.

Top Bottom