• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Hi Point guys you have a guy here who is very willing to put aside all the crap I have heard over the years and get one. IF I could find somebody locally who has a carbine I could test drive... I have been looking at the .40 Hi-Point carbine and just have not been able to buy it because of the stories you here everywhere, that and it ugly as sin. But I like the ATI ?? Stocks for them.

Does anyone near me have one I could spend some range time with??? Lets make it a day at the range.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have been looking at the .40 Hi-Point carbine and just have not been able to buy it because of the stories you here everywhere, that and it ugly as sin. But I like the ATI ?? Stocks for them.

Last I heard ATI doesn't make stocks for the .40 just the 9 and they don't have plans to.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Last I heard ATI doesn't make stocks for the .40 just the 9 and they don't have plans to.

thats what i heard too.

if you want to try a carbine, i bet you could post up about wanting to try one, in the main forum, and find someone close who has one. the 995 is pretty common in indiana. matter of fact, i still have a buddies number who i sold one of mine to... i'll call him tomorow to see if he still has it. its one of the older ones, though.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Pulaski - Winimac area, right??

My dad's got a 9mm Carbine, and I'm sure he'd let me borrow it.. heck, if you'd be willing to come down here I can provide a range, too!

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just purchased my 2nd Hi-Point and it is is a 46G(OD Green camo).

I haven't yet recieved it but if it works as well as my C9 (9mm) I will buy another!

these are and can be great for learners, plinkers, self defenders, and those unable to get the hi dollar fancy boomers.......

Please, don't knock the AMERICAN MADE , inexpensive (100% warranty to every owner until the end of time) stuff until you try it !

No, it aint a carry gun for most, but a definate deterant for all!!!!

Just come to my house uninvited and meet Mr. Hi-Point......

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Bubbajms thank you for the offer but I really wanted it in .40 I like to stay with the same as my pistols. Damn I wish they made the stock for the 40. They are just so damn ugly!!

Don't give me grief Hi Point guys you know they are ugly as hell. I guess I am just superficial like that. guess I will try to find a ruger carbine.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Iv had 3 Hi-Points pass through my hands at one time or another. 2 Compact 9mms, and a 45. Its true they function reliably with most kinds of ammunition. Another perk is unexpectedly good accuracy thanks to the fixed barrel.

But even from a minimalist point of view, reliable function is not the only thing a gun needs.

Say you want a simple strait-forward gun for home defense. You need:
    * something that is easy to deploy
    * something that is safe to operate under stress

In my experience the Hi-Point fails at both of those.

The High-Point is not easy to deploy because its recoil spring is very heavy and its slide is slippery. This isn't an issue at the range, but under pressure with adrenaline and shaky hands I see this being much more of a problem with the HP than with other higher quality weapons. Another reason it's not easy to deploy are its magazines. They are picky about how they are loaded and the magazine well is very slender; this can make changing magazines very difficult under stress.

The Hi-point is also very unsafe to operate under stress. It is a single action design, and the safety is the flimsiest thing i have ever seen. Its a thin sheet metal tab. It is very easy to bump them off "safe"; its happened to me. with a single action trigger pull, this can be disastrous. What if it happened when you were investigating a bump in the night? What if that bump was your kid sneaking in, or a drunk neighbor stumbling into the wrong house? The HP is not a safe gun to be using in that kind of scenario.

What if you want a simple affordable gun for CCW? Forget Hi-Point. You may as well try and conceal a cinder block.

In my opinion, the Hi-point pistols are affordable and reliable range toys. They are not suited for home defense or carry, and should not be considered for those purposes. Not when better designs like Bersa's or KelTecs are common as dirt and priced around $250.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Sitting here fondling a Compact 9, I will agree and (slightly) disagree..

On a carry sidearm - yeah, it's awful big, heavy and awkwardly shaped. I'd rather carry it than be completely unarmed, but it's certainly not going to be as comfortable as I'd like. I'd say that, as a concealed handgun, it's too big.. open carry, well, that could be managed with a good holster, I think.. the uneducated would run in fear, and those who know what you have would either respect you enough to leave you alone or laugh so hard they cry, either case giving you a tactical advantage..

As a home defense sidearm, though, I will disagree. Again, while I have other firearms better suited to the task, I think it would do fine in this arena. 8 rounds is more than you'll find in a revolver in most cases, right? And if I'm clearing my house (which I've done, although it was for raccoons as I found later) I'm not riding the safety, either, aside from my trigger finger. When I'm coming down the hallway, I'm indexed along the frame with the safety off, assuming that I'm carrying a firearm with an external safety. If this were bad, a metric ton of 1911 fans would probably be going crazy by now..

Long story short, it's pretty much the opinion I have of Hi-Point.. are they ideal? Nope. Are they serviceable? For me they are. There are plenty of other options out there, some better and some worse, but my Hi-Point has been totally reliable thus far and while it's not my primary (or even secondary) handgun, I've got no problem grabbing it in a hurry (which isn't something I'd say about some other firearms)

Top Bottom