• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Buy what your budget allows and don’t be intimidated by some of these Lemmings on this site that follow the leader even if they can’t really afford a Glock and have to buy their kids school clothes at Wal-Mart. If Hi-Point is all your budget allows go for it and just take good care of the gun and it will suit your purpose. I’ve seen $900 handguns act up.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just based on looks, the two rifles aren't bad. I've heard the 9MM HP Carbine is not a bad shooter; anyone ever tried one?

Got a 995, love it! Had it out once so far to check it's functionality, performed rock solid great groups with the factory sights. Waiting on
    my ATI stock, laser and butt pad to arrive from Combathunting.com to show up to pimp it out the above items and with a nice little scope for some reach out and touch you range.

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    sorry. i will take my opinions based on FACT and just be quite.

hi points are pieces of **** that no one should bet their lives on. smother than pig in chocolate all you want.

you dismiss everyone who says a bad word about HP as being a smart ass. i hate to break it to you, but thats BS. i HAVE owned HPs, ignore it all you want, but the fact is they are built to a price, and marketed to people who don't know any better.
    Sorry you feel that way cubby, maybe you got one that needed some help.
    HP's in that respect, are no different than others. Anything mass produced within an acceptable tolerance range can fail, or be of "lesser quality" in the eyes of others. Mine jammed a few times during it's break in period yes, does that make it junk? well maybe to you and your opinion, of which you are rightfully allowed.
    I'm not "dismissing you as a smartass".

They are built to a price point yes, but saying people that buy them don't know any better, is as ludicrous in my mind, as dismissing you as a smartass for your opinion.

I guess if I buy a set of Craftsman tools that are warranted for life for $20, versus the same same set from MAC or Snap-On for three times as much, I'm just not finacially capable of keeping up with you. So be it, mine work as well as yours.
    These weapons are sold days, if not minutes after they hit the shelves.
    The price (because of demand) is going up. Not from the manufactuer either, so take that into consideration when you buy your next from your favorite dealer.
    Just yesterday, the LGS I frequent had the C9, JHP, and JCP for $199. Six months ago I paid $120 for my C9.
    MSRP price point means nothing when the shop price reflects a gouge on the lower cost items because thay can't sell enough "better" guns to make the rent.

If you really want determine the BS, you have an invitation to my house to see just how well my "Cheap Tools" work.

That is NOT a threat. I won't shoot you , I'll simply show you they work, then let you see for yourself first hand, that I'm not BS'ing you.

Pigs can be mean, and I personally don't care for anything smothered in chocolate, but my HP is on me at all times 'cause it's all I have besides a Mosin 91/30, Remington 572 Fieldmaster, NEF Pardner Pump 12g, S&W model 29 Highway Patrolman .357 (on loan at the moment), Winchester model 40 12g Autoloader, and an HP JH .45 (the wife's).

I'm confident that any of these tools will cause you to understand quickly that your opinion is just that, an opinion based on your past experience.
    My experience tells me that yours, though entirely possible, is not the sole basis for judging anything, for mine is just the opposite.

I've had Ford vehicles that IMO are "junk pieces of ****". I relied on them and they failed, so I moved on to something else.
    Others swear by them. Who am I, or you for that matter, to tell someone not to buy something simply based on our experiences.

Saying we've had bad luck is not the same as condeming the product as a whole to all who would listen.

I bought a TV awhile ago that failed on the second day. Does that make them all junk? or did I just get a bad one. I returned the first one and the replacement is still going.

My point is, everything is subject to failure, from the $150 pistol, to the $1000 pistol. One bad experience may sour you, but that's no reason to try and sour others on it.
    $1000 Kimbers fail. I know, I've seen it. $150 HP's fail. I know, I've lived it.

At the end of the day, if your guns fails, I'll do my best to help you out with my HP, unless it too fails, at which point either one becomes nothing more than a rock. Rocks are free. Are we going to argue about who has the "better" rock?

I have no malice towards anyone and the choices they make. I'm not in a postion to judge. My position, like all other's, is simply to survive the best way I can with what I have, or can afford.
    Only when you refuse my offer of help because I have something you think is not worthy of helping you, will you be judged, and that judgement won't be from me.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Sorry you feel that way cubby, maybe you got one that needed some help.
    HP's in that respect, are no different than others. Anything mass produced within an acceptable tolerance range can fail, or be of "lesser quality" in the eyes of others. Mine jammed a few times during it's break in period yes, does that make it junk? well maybe to you and your opinion, of which you are rightfully allowed.
    I'm not "dismissing you as a smartass".

They are built to a price point yes, but saying people that buy them don't know any better, is as ludicrous in my mind, as dismissing you as a smartass for your opinion.

I guess if I buy a set of Craftsman tools that are warranted for life for $20, versus the same same set from MAC or Snap-On for three times as much, I'm just not finacially capable of keeping up with you. So be it, mine work as well as yours.
    These weapons are sold days, if not minutes after they hit the shelves.
    The price (because of demand) is going up. Not from the manufactuer either, so take that into consideration when you buy your next from your favorite dealer.
    Just yesterday, the LGS I frequent had the C9, JHP, and JCP for $199. Six months ago I paid $120 for my C9.
    MSRP price point means nothing when the shop price reflects a gouge on the lower cost items because thay can't sell enough "better" guns to make the rent.

If you really want determine the BS, you have an invitation to my house to see just how well my "Cheap Tools" work.

That is NOT a threat. I won't shoot you , I'll simply show you they work, then let you see for yourself first hand, that I'm not BS'ing you.

Pigs can be mean, and I personally don't care for anything smothered in chocolate, but my HP is on me at all times 'cause it's all I have besides a Mosin 91/30, Remington 572 Fieldmaster, NEF Pardner Pump 12g, S&W model 29 Highway Patrolman .357 (on loan at the moment), Winchester model 40 12g Autoloader, and an HP JH .45 (the wife's).

I'm confident that any of these tools will cause you to understand quickly that your opinion is just that, an opinion based on your past experience.
    My experience tells me that yours, though entirely possible, is not the sole basis for judging anything, for mine is just the opposite.

I've had Ford vehicles that IMO are "junk pieces of ****". I relied on them and they failed, so I moved on to something else.
    Others swear by them. Who am I, or you for that matter, to tell someone not to buy something simply based on our experiences.

Saying we've had bad luck is not the same as condeming the product as a whole to all who would listen.

I bought a TV awhile ago that failed on the second day. Does that make them all junk? or did I just get a bad one. I returned the first one and the replacement is still going.

My point is, everything is subject to failure, from the $150 pistol, to the $1000 pistol. One bad experience may sour you, but that's no reason to try and sour others on it.
    $1000 Kimbers fail. I know, I've seen it. $150 HP's fail. I know, I've lived it.

At the end of the day, if your guns fails, I'll do my best to help you out with my HP, unless it too fails, at which point either one becomes nothing more than a rock. Rocks are free. Are we going to argue about who has the "better" rock?

I have no malice towards anyone and the choices they make. I'm not in a postion to judge. My position, like all other's, is simply to survive the best way I can with what I have, or can afford.
    Only when you refuse my offer of help because I have something you think is not worthy of helping you, will you be judged, and that judgement won't be from me.

now THIS is a good response!

first off, my post sounded aggressive and that wasn't directed at anything other than the fact that "crystalstarship" dismisses everything a "hater" says as being unfounded and without experience. i have owned no less than 3 HP guns. i have shot more than a dozen. out of that dozen, only ONE gun ran without an incident. everything from mag failures (common in most guns, NOT just HPs.) to them just falling apart. add in the guns which would ONLY run with FMJ ammo, no hollowpoints, and the failures compounded.

as to only being able to afford a HP. i don't buy that agruement. used and beat up Jframes (not nesseccerily SnW) sized guns can be found for under $200. and they are more reliable, in most cases. and the revolver will probly be more robust. and have better holster options, something all but overlooked by novice shooters.

where my goat is REALLY gotten is when people come in and PRAISE the HPs as being "just as good as" a glock, sig, SnW, or any other proven manufactor. thats BS. and we could go out and bang all day, southin, but there is no denying a HP is a less durable weapon (except for maybe those HKs!!:D). that is just trying to propel ones personal beliefs over fact. if it were true, then issue weapons would be being replaced all over the world. show me ONE branch of any type of enforcement which wouldn't issue a fully reliable, prove, and functional gun which costs $350 less than the CURRENT issue, and i will back off this arguement. but agencies and alphabet soup agencies all over the world would CLAMOR for a $100 pistol that runs without fail, takes any abuse given, and beats out all the other current guns. you would be getting contacts hand over fist at that price.

now, HPs have their places. but i don't believe they are at the front of a personal defense battery. my family is worth more to me than anything else. my life comes in somewhere after that. there are MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people who can't afford heat or food in this world. or people who are just scrapping by.... these people deserve to have ample means of protection too. but i think most would be better served with a simple wheel gun or shotgun than a HP. as a plinker, or as this thread started, a toy, then they are fine. but to spew forth gospel because one or two "HSLD" folks came to their own conclusions is wrong. the internet has made a bag of smashed assholes of what is fact and what is propoganda. and the lines are smeared. this guy says one thing, this gun rag writer says another, but this navy seal magician disagrees with both of them... and on and on. the only way to seperate what is most possible and probable is to cross section EVERYTHING you can learn. as much info as possible. and, unfortunately for HP, the VAST majority of the info out there reflects a poor light on their product as a VIABLE self defense system.

now, HPs custom service is WONDERFUL, and its nice to see a company who doesn't think it requires a 6 figure job to purchase their weapons. but the durablity of product is just too low. they aren't made to last the rigors of life as a true support system.

like i said, i have owned no less than 3 HPs. and shot a lot of them too. so my expereinces are not just that of an internet hater. i'm no expert. but 15 guns is a good cross section of weapons from a manufactor. if YOU owned or shot 15 of the same make of gun and each one, but one, **** the bed for various reasons, would you consider yourself a "hater" or just realistic?

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    sorry. i will take my opinions based on FACT and just be quite.

hi points are pieces of **** that no one should bet their lives on. smother than pig in chocolate all you want.

you dismiss everyone who says a bad word about HP as being a smart ass. i hate to break it to you, but thats BS. i HAVE owned HPs, ignore it all you want, but the fact is they are built to a price, and marketed to people who don't know any better.

Hehehehee...... Wasn't even talking about you. :laugh:

Hope you have a better day tomorrow. :patriot:

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    Well said cubby, I'm fairly new here, so my apologies at not seeing any other of your posts to get any sort of idea of your thoughts.
    I by no means am trying to say an HP is the end all of handguns.
    Simply that they do serve the purpose intended for those that choose them.
    So often people berate something that is inexpensive as a cheap POS.
    That in fact be true for them, but berating or belittling another who chooses that same product, has good luck with it, and happens to like it, is where the rub comes into play.
    All too often, folks just "assume", or perpetuate the "assumptions" of others, with no first hand knowledge or experience.

Thank you for the intelligent response on your stand.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think every hi-point thread I've ever read on any gun related board has turned into a fight. Except for maybe the hi-point forum, but even then there's been a few fights.

The only fight nastier than a hi-point fight is an AR brand fight over on ARFCOM.

:chillout:

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    I would not consider or otherwise qualify this as a fight.
    To me, it's actually refreshing to converse with someone who has a difference of opinion, and also has the ability to intelligently speak his mind based on first hand experience, rather than resort to insults and name calling simply because he has no other option in his attempt to defend his statements.

This is what debate was made for. I'm fine with those who dislike the things that I like if they can disagree with respect to my feelings at the same time.

That's not a fight, that's discussion and learning, hopefully from both sides.
    When someone is so closed minded as to not respect another's opinion, digresses to insult and degradation of a person, and otherwise becomes belligerent on a subject, IMO that's all they have left to use because their intelligence and or experience has failed them.

Arguments are for those less inclined/or less than able to think.

Debate is for those than can read, interpret, and make an intelligent, respectful response to the contrary as they see it.

Agree to disagree I can handle just fine.

Calling me a POS simply for the gun I happen to choose, is not worth my time, you won't understand me anyway.

I have other guns that are more accepted and respected for the most part in the gun community, and I have no issues with a man that does not like my current choice if he can qualify his statements with first hand knowledge and or experience. It's the one's that automatically think I'm a lesser person than they are because I chose a weapon (in this context anyway) they hate, but have never tried in a way as to qualify that thought or statement.

I get slammed at times for saying I own HP's, and I carry one.
    OK, I'm a thug with a POS "saturday night special".

I also own a 1940 Winchester model 40 12 gauge autoloading Shotgun, of which approx. 12,000 were made, and most of those were returned to the factory on recall and destroyed. Mine is still a usable piece, though I don't for parts replacement issues.
    Now I'm a cool guy with a collectible shotgun.

I have a model 29 S&W Highway Patrolman .357 Revolver.
    I'm cool with the wheel gun guys now.

I have a numbers matching 1944 Mosin-Nagant 91/30.
    Now I'm cool with the C&R guys.

I have a 1969 Remington 572 Fieldmaster .22 Pump Action.
    I'm cool with the rimfire guys.

I have a Hi-Point JH .45 Pistol that works as well as the C9.
    Now I'm a POS again.

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Heheheh....... Glad to see some folks are "Getting it"!!!! Are H/P's a good choice for first line defense????..... NO.... Not unless that's all you can afford. ...... Are H/P's junk? .... Not nearly as much as a whole lot of folks allude to. .... What are H/P's???..... A WHOLE lot better than nothing and a lot of cheap plinkin' fun!!!!! What other gun can you throw in a tackle box or a truck glove box and not cry if you loose it????? ...... Best regards to all!!!!! :cheers:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Man.. That sucks. :n00b:

Just remember....... If you hear banjo music start-up....... RUN!!!! :D

da da dun dun dun da da dun dun dun
    Squeal like a pig
    pig.gif
    for me boiy

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    fighting is over rated. fighting entails EMOTIONS getting in the way of facts. DEBATES are the way to go.... but each side has to realize they have to concede parts of their arguement as "emotional"...........

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    To each his own, but do not knock until tried.........
    Made in USA
    Put together in USA
    All parts, MADE IN THE USA
    *************LIFETIME WARRANTY*************
    Inexpensive and oh did I say, MADE IN USA!

How about we support our own once in awhile.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I always felt that when a person pays my bill their opinion might hold some weight; until then their opinion is like an a-hole, everyone has one. If you have the best you can afford and it does what you intended you have nothing to defend.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I always felt that when a person pays my bill their opinion might hold some weight; until then their opinion is like an a-hole, everyone has one. If you have the best you can afford and it does what you intended you have nothing to defend.

Repped for being a dealer who speaks wisdom!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I guess because our friend "Cubby" had a bad experience that makes his the only one!
    And in having that experience I guess that also makes him n expert.

HEY! We have all had bad luck with name brand stuff as well, just let the guy enjoy his HP and quit stealing his thunder, we are all on the same side here!!!

Top Bottom