• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My sister owns an irrigation company and years ago one of her customers had that happen. He and his wife were sitting on the front porch watching a lightening storm pass over.
    A bolt hit a front yard tree and the lightening followed the low voltage wiring and it interconnected with the irrigation.
    The 1" water lines were super heated and the sprinkler tops flew out of the ground,
    per the customers like Polaris Missles with a steaming water vapor trail behind them.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    My sister owns an irrigation company and years ago one of her customers had that happen. He and his wife were sitting on the front plrch watching a lightening storm pass over.
    A bolt hit a front yard tree and the lightening followed the low voltage wiring and it interconnected with the irrigation.
    The 1" water lines were super heated and the sprinkler tops flew out of the ground,
    per the customers like Polaris Missles with a steaming water vapor trail behind them.
    Many dont believe me. In 1975 I was spraying a field with an open platform tractor. Storm warnings out, can see it in the west/sw approaching. Outdoors and everything metal and I was holding metal with 1 hand and partially touching steel with other. A “static bolt“ ( ?? ) connected with top of muffler. I felt it into one hand, across chest, and out other arm/hand. Wasn’t a full charge obviously and maybe the 50 gallon per acre of liquid I was spraying made a partial ground ??? Scared the crap out of me. Stopped, jumped off, and laid for a while in a ditch. The got up and drove home full throttle. Still scared of lightening.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    No thanks.... You boys go ahead. I'll be back at the cabin.
    The rest of the pics I saw I didn’t post. Mountain climb to the top with a lot of frozen bodies along the way. Pretty view from the top but just text me the pix you take and I will look at them sitting here, inside, with my feet up and a couple fingers of adult beverage

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Many dont believe me. In 1975 I was spraying a field with an open platform tractor. Storm warnings out, can see it in the west/sw approaching. Outdoors and everything metal and I was holding metal with 1 hand and partially touching steel with other. A “static bolt“ ( ?? ) connected with top of muffler. I felt it into one hand, across chest, and out other arm/hand. Wasn’t a full charge obviously and maybe the 50 gallon per acre of liquid I was spraying made a partial ground ??? Scared the crap out of me. Stopped, jumped off, and laid for a while in a ditch. The got up and drove home full throttle. Still scared of lightening.

On occasion I would run an installation crew for my sister. I had a ceew one say and the utility company missed painting some marks.
    My crew pulled pipe through a few pairs of 200 amp service to a new home. As they were smoking I called the local power company and told the service diapatch its enough amperage that I can feel the tingle through my engineer boots.
    She said sjr thats impossible, I said please get someone smarter than you one the phone.
    An engineer picked up the line and I told him the same thing. He asked me my background and I told him im a elevator mechanic.
    8-9 min later that 5 ton truck rolled down the street. We cut three 200 amp service feeds.
    It always takes the easist path.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    On occasion I would run an installation crew for my sister. I had a ceew one say and the utility company missed painting some marks.
    My crew pulled pipe through a few pairs of 200 amp service to a new home. As they were smoking I called the local power company and told the service diapatch its enough amperage that I can feel the tingle through my engineer boots.
    She said sjr thats impossible, I said please get someone smarter than you one the phone.
    An engineer picked up the line and I told him the same thing. He asked me my background and I told him im a elevator mechanic.
    8-9 min later that 5 ton truck rolled down the street. We cut three 200 amp service feeds.
    It always takes the easist path.
    I have had enough people that actually have the knowledge to know the correct answer…true/possible or big fat lie…agree with me. Plus I know for fact.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    iu

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Eh, why not. You only live once…
    A half a dozen guys I worked with out of Otis's Baltimore teased me about being a sailerboy before I left on my trip. I told them to meet me at Annapolis's main dock that Sunday afternoon. Loaded them boys up and headed to the bay, cranked up the main and unfurled the genny and started cranking the sheet lines in on a 18 kt beam reach. We were hiting 9 kts at 27-28° heel. Shortly I lowered the sails and cranked up the diesel to head back to port on a even keel.
    Fastest 10 mph they had ever done.
    It was great fun, for me anyway.

Top Bottom