• ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Whatta beauty!
    Anyone wanna take an educated guess how much vermin a snake that size has rid us of?
    Likely more than any typical house cat would. Moms got one living under her front porch, she’s freaked out by snakes, she wanted me to come get rid of it. I told her she should just ignore him because he would clean up the mice, she said no kill it, I’m like yeah that’s not happening. I gave him a good talking to about scaring my mother, told him to stay out of sight, and told her he was gone :lmfao:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Likely more than any typical house cat would. Moms got one living under her front porch, she’s freaked out by snakes, she wanted me to come get rid of it. I told her she should just ignore him because he would clean up the mice, she said no kill it, I’m like yeah that’s not happening. I gave him a good talking to about scaring my mother, told him to stay out of sight, and told her he was gone :lmfao:
    Will they eat chipmunks? Our cat has fallen down on her duties lately. She chased one up onto the deck the other day, and I had to chase it back out to the yard. It played dead, and she just wanted to play with it. She batted at it a little bit, but eventually it ran off and she didn't bother to chase it. I think she thinks they're just her little "friends" now.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Will they eat chipmunks? Our cat has fallen down on her duties lately. She chased one up onto the deck the other day, and I had to chase it back out to the yard. It played dead, and she just wanted to play with it. She batted at it a little bit, but eventually it ran off and she didn't bother to chase it. I think she thinks they're just her little "friends" now.
    Yes, they’ll eat all sorts of vermin, plus lizards, birds, and bird eggs.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Snakes are another one of those things I know little to nothing about...so I just leave all of them alone.
    Me too, I’ve been nearly killed by more black snakes than I can count, step over a “stick” while fishing and it starts moving :faint: They are pretty calm though, usually they end up just looking at me like dude, it’s ok, calm down!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I remember as a kid, watching a bull snake eat a whole nest of wild rabbit babies. The neighbor was freaking out cause we were standing in the horse pasture watching... barefoot and completely fascinated. That snake dislocated it's jaw and ate all three or four babies. They were fairly good size, and it was a big snake.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember as a kid, watching a bull snake eat a whole nest of wild rabbit babies. The neighbor was freaking out cause we were standing in the horse pasture watching... barefoot and completely fascinated. That snake dislocated it's jaw and ate all three or four babies. They were fairly good size, and it was a big snake.
    I remember catching a garter snake when I was a kid and in Boy Scouts, so I was probably 12 or 13 tops. I kept him because I thought it was cool, but I handled him as if he was a rattlesnake or something. :):

We were going on a Boy Scout camping trip in the early spring, or maybe fall - it was going to get cold at night. I put him in a coffee can (with holes in the lid of course).

When we were getting ready to leave, another member of my troop found out that I had the snake and asked to see it. He picked it up like it was nothing! That made me change my mind about letting it loose at the campground.

I put his coffee can down in my sleeping bag at night, but in the mornings he would still be really sluggish, so I started putting him on my chest while I was still in the sleeping bag to let him warm up.

:):

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Me too, I’ve been nearly killed by more black snakes than I can count, step over a “stick” while fishing and it starts moving :faint: They are pretty calm though, usually they end up just looking at me like dude, it’s ok, calm down!
    You almost have to step on a King/Rat snake to get a response outta them.
    I've picked up several out of the road to keep them from getting ran over. They seem to love the heat of asphalt and concrete as evening temps cool. If they're calm enough they'll let you pick them up, you'll not get bit. Cool snakes to have around.

Top Bottom