• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mShu7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm picking my mother up from the airport this evening and I plan to go in because my 4-year old son will be with me and he likes to see the airport. Can anybody tell me what the firearms policy is or point me in the right direction? I tried looking on the airport website but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    As far as I know you are legal to carry in the general assembly area to pick up arrivals. You just can not go into the concourse areas with the no firearms signs. I do not have IC code known off the top of my head but I seem to remember an INGO member doing just this.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    perfectly legal in Indiana to be in the general areas of the airport. The reason it's not on the airport's website is that they just don't want that pesky fact known.

Do not even think about attempting to go through the secure areas, though....obviously.

-J-

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Legally you are allowed to OC or CC within the airport as long as you do not attempt to go past security.

Since the airport is a public airport they cannot ask you to leave either. :)

I would strongly suggest to conceal after the airport shooting a few weeks ago you might get a little trouble if you open carry.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are "No Firearms" signs posted at all entrances. However, these signs are not legal (IC 35-47-11.1), so are routinely ignored. It is quite legal to carry outside of the secure areas (Baggage Claim and Ticketing, for instance).

Security would likely pop a gasket and run you down on their Segways if they suspected anything, so discretion is suggested.

I've routinely carried openly outside of the building to pick up folks, and concealed at baggage claim. Never an issue.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    perfectly legal in Indiana to be in the general areas of the airport. The reason it's not on the airport's website is that they just don't want that pesky fact known.

Do not even think about attempting to go through the secure areas, though....obviously.

-J-
    this was what I tried saying lol you just said it better than me lol.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I have to pick someone up, I just stay in the car and honk.

The new cell phone lot is awesome. Get there when the plane is supposed to land and park in that remote lot for free. And your guest simply calls your cell when they have their bags. That way all you have to do is pull up to the curb and throw them in. No more hoping for the 30 minute grace period in the garage is enough time.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I recall reading this thread a while back.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../133036-no-guns-allowed-airport-property.html
    and this thread
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/231055-firearms-without-permit.html
    and this there has to be a correlation, am I correct in thinking that the airport is state owned property and therfore they cannot tell you that you cannot carry outside of secure areas?
    Close. It is NOT state-owned, nor is it private, therefor they CANNOT make their own policy on firearms. The Indianapolis Airport Authority is a local government entity. Much like any other local transportation board.

I did some research on what constitutes a "local government entity" about a year ago:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...endment/189433-local-government-entities.html

No one listed may make their own firearms policy, as per State Law.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Legally you are allowed to OC or CC within the airport as long as you do not attempt to go past security.

Since the airport is a public airport they cannot ask you to leave either. :)

I would strongly suggest to conceal after the airport shooting a few weeks ago you might get a little trouble if you open carry.

Yea, and you might get shot.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Close. It is NOT state-owned, nor is it private, therefor they CANNOT make their own policy on firearms. The Indianapolis Airport Authority is a local government entity. Much like any other local transportation board.

I did some research on what constitutes a "local government entity" about a year ago:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...endment/189433-local-government-entities.html

No one listed may make their own firearms policy, as per State Law.

Cool thanks for the info. So since it is a government entity they may not post a sign or have a policy that says "No firearms on the property" only one that states "no firearms beyond security". Correct?

Is this something that should be followed up on or do you think it could do more harm than good?

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with carrying there since this thread was last posted? Are the signs still there? Any stories of arrest/harassment in non-secure areas? Also, does anyone know if crime has dropped or has crime statistics of airport since the big move to the new terminal?

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with carrying there since this thread was last posted? Are the signs still there? Any stories of arrest/harassment in non-secure areas? Also, does anyone know if crime has dropped or has crime statistics of airport since the big move to the new terminal?

Not sure I would test the waters on that one.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

Not sure I would test the waters on that one.

I've been to the Indy airport 4 times in the past month. Twice I went inside to pick someone up at arrival. Pocket carry, so not sure this counts.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    No problem! I OC every time I take my wife and pick her up from her many business trips and any other time I have reason to be there.
    nothing illegal about carrying inside the airport. Nothing to be afraid of!

Top Bottom