• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Did you know companies take pictures of your property on a routine basis from about 3,500 feet and sell them to the gov, insurance companies and anyone else that wants to pay for the service? Most of the time it is in the fall or early spring when the leaves are gone. In higher populated areas it can be twice a year.

I use one for work. The service I use has photos that go back as far as 2000. Others go back to thr 1940's. I can see the same image from four points of the compass, click to see building permits and if you are current on your taxes. The topography feature can identify land changes of 5 feet of elevation.

It can see any significant improvements you make. I recently showed how it works when a customer wanted to see at his home. The images are much better than google earth. He had significant acreage and thought he had privacy and was not happy at what those images showed.

Don't forget your county tax department or GIS department post google earth and building pictures of your property on the county website.

Think of that when you want to do something special on your property.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We have a few aerial photos of our family's farm that go back to maybe the 1930's or so. After they were taken I wad told a salesman would stop by your farm and try to sell you a blowup picture of your farm. You also could pay a premium to have in colored in during the B&W years.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    The previous owner of my house had one hanging on the wall when I bought the house and he left it. It was the same company. It was from the early 2000s. Shortly after I moved in a guy pulled up with a framed picture he had taken right before I bought the house. He wanted a couple hundred for the picture. I did not buy it.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand its cool, but I could buy a drone and take my own pictures. More so, on the other hand its an invasion. I'm very isolated and noone can see my property and I like it that way. Keep your spy plane away from my property!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Indy actually used this and computers to calculate a water runoff charge. you were billed $X for every square foot of impermeable surface on your land. They assumed that anything but grass would cause that rainwater to go into the sewers and cost the city extra to process.

I fought it. A considerable part of my property got tagged. Like the 10x15' deck over dirt, the gravel section of my drive, and the 10x10 slab plus minibarn 100' away from the nearest street gutter. The first two are indeed permeable, and the latter two are far enough from pavement that the water isnt likely to flow across the permeable grass and go into the sewers. I recall that would have reduced my bill by at least 1/4. I was denied. Of course. And it wasnt enough to get a lawyer.

They also use it to flag new swimming pools and anything else you didnt pull a permit for as I recall.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Had an in law that was a hardcore prepper and he wanted to have lite weight tarps made up that had different objects printed on them from an overhead perspective and use them to make his property look different from the air.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Indy actually used this and computers to calculate a water runoff charge. you were billed $X for every square foot of impermeable surface on your land. They assumed that anything but grass would cause that rainwater to go into the sewers and cost the city extra to process.

I fought it. A considerable part of my property got tagged. Like the 10x15' deck over dirt, the gravel section of my drive, and the 10x10 slab plus minibarn 100' away from the nearest street gutter. The first two are indeed permeable, and the latter two are far enough from pavement that the water isnt likely to flow across the permeable grass and go into the sewers. I recall that would have reduced my bill by at least 1/4. I was denied. Of course. And it wasnt enough to get a lawyer.

They also use it to flag new swimming pools and anything else you didnt pull a permit for as I recall.
    Glad I live in the country! Built a barn and a deck without permits and not a peep from the government

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Glad I live in the country! Built a barn and a deck without permits and not a peep from the government
    Yes Sir.
    Built a 2000+ sf home on 3.5 acres here and only had to pull septic and electrical permits and still have rediculously low property tax even after assessment.
    I've had houses built in Marion county that time and money for permits had to be factored into the budget/schedule due to the beauracratic BS.
    IIRC, both permits here, with inspections, ran me $400.
    Government over reach has gone way too far and I don't expect it to lessen any time soon.

Lpherr

Occupied
    The described repositories are much more current and significantly better resolution than Google Earth.

Our area gets mapped at least once a year and in enough detail to tell my potted peppers from my potted tomatoes and from my potted pot.
    :dunno:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I noticed recently that my neighbor's pond shows up on Elevate GIS but does not yet show up on Google maps. I plan to look at the Schneider website here in a minute.

Edit: He had that pond dug within the last 18 months or so.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom