• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guns of Contention: If Philly says no, Florida can say yes | Philadelphia Daily News | 08/31/2010

These cases appear to be about PA residents obtaining Out-of-State Permits.

Perhaps if Mayor Nutter (great name for this Nut bag), didn't restrict the right to the point of denial for everyone but his cronies, then this would not be an issue. Fact, is, this guy is Bloomberg's puppy and the only way you're going to get a permit in Philadelphia is to know someone.

The 'Special Advisor to the Commissioner' exclaims something on the order that the officers' safety is more important than violating people's rights.

This moron apparently believes that safety and infringing upon rights must be mutually exclusive. If there is no excuse for ignorance of the law for the citizenry, why is it tolerated amongst civil servants?

In one case a guy going to his job as a security guard was held in custody for 18 hours! The officers att the scene would not honor any of his permits and had him standing outside for several hours in the winter. They also denied him his diabetes medication. He ended up in the hospital and then was charged and held on $15k bail. A month later they District Attorney dropped the case.

I hope this guy sues the **** out of them, but I doubt any heads will roll since Mayor Nutter is tacitly in support of these actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I hope it gets broken off hard in Philly's local gov't and PD. Lock these thugs who think they don't have to follow the law up, as well as their "safety trumps rights" leader Healy up for Title 42 Violation of Civil Rights under Color of Law charges.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Civil Rights - Color of Law

Healy's comments are a prima facia violation of Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141 and should bring heavy penalties on the city.

Joe

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    As a former PA resident (I grew up there) - I know the state was formerly a "MAY" issue state on a county by county approval basis - but that was over 20 yrs. ago.

The state is now a SHALL issue state - and also has a 'no local ordinances' clause if I remember correctly. So the Philly permit, is the same as the PA permit. Not sure what the cops were thinking, except that from way back the Philly area politics was very anti-2nd Amendment (and PA's is stronger than the US version too). They are the one's always wanting to make their own gun laws in the state and the state gov't always ends up saying NO.

Just my $.02...

Later.
    "Brother" Bill

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What is troubling is that it wasn't just one isolated incident. It also does not reflect well on the Department or it's officers which bothers me as I come from a family with cops who would be sickened by the abuse.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've seen a few of these stories out of Philly over the last few years. Apparently, no-one had the 'nads to instigate a really big lawsuit. Hopefully that'll change and they'll get their comeuppance.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Philadelphia PD has a history of criminal behavior in regard to the 2A rights of it's citizens. They've been sued more than once, they don't care. PA citizens do have the recourse of filing an official oppression complaint, which the DA MUST investigate, but the DA is as criminally minded as the Mayor is, and simply refuses to comply with the law.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Philadelphia PD has a history of criminal behavior in regard to the 2A rights of it's citizens. They've been sued more than once, they don't care. PA citizens do have the recourse of filing an official oppression complaint, which the DA MUST investigate, but the DA is as criminally minded as the Mayor is, and simply refuses to comply with the law.

That does not surprise me, based on the article. At first when it was talking about settlements, I assumed they were trying to get people to pay them money (like a plea to a fine) then they would withdraw the case, but when people didnt pay, they were just withdrawing. That is essentially extortion, which makes it pretty sad that I automatically assumed that was how it was. The fact that they are offering these people money (even if they arent paying) shows they know they are guilty. $3000 is a lot for most handguns (and even 18 hours of your life) but its not nearly enough for someones pride and dignity. Certainly not enough to have your rights trampled all over.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    This action by the Philadelphia Police seems racist and is certainly outrageous. They should be next on the list for some lawsuits by SAF, GOA and NRA. I mean, which is worse - the outright ban that Chicago had or the action of a department to ignore the law, incarcerate law-abiding citizens and confiscate their legally owned, possessed and carried property?

To me, both are bad, but at least Chicago was upfront and honest about it. The cops in the "City of Brotherly Love" are obviously two-faced and dishonest about it. If they are doing this with one class of law-abiding citizens, what are they doing with other groups?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Makes me glad I carried concealed in Philly when I lived there (last summer). I also acquired a Pennsylvania permit even though my others are valid there.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Anybody see the statement, "officer's safety comes first, not infringing on people's rights comes second."? Some ARE better than others ... :rolleyes:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Top Bottom