• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm hoping to get the low down on pheasant hunting in IN. I recently moved from WI, where public land hunting opportunity is pretty good and the DNR regularly releases pen-raised birds throughout the season, since the wild population is slim. It's not like hunting SD, but the opportunity is there. You just buy the license/stamp and hit the fields.

I'm curious how pheasant hunting is here. How is the wild bird population, or does the DNR release most of their birds? I went on the DNR's website and saw you have to apply to hunt certain areas, how exactly does that work? Any good places to hunt near NWI?

Thanks in advance, just trying to decide if it's worth trying to chase birds here or if I'm better off driving up to my old hunting grounds.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Between modern farming and coyotes a great many former pheasant hunting spots are gone. Yes we do have put and take hunting controlled by IDNR, any private bird ground is highly coveted and relatively hard to come by. Still get out and search and make friends with some farmers, this may lead into some good spots. Good Luck.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Mij hit it on the head in my opinion.
    DNR has a put and take program . We have a few private put and take places here in Indiana.
    i am sure several more people with more Knowledge than me will be along to help you out
    and while you are waiting check this thread out

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you want to do the put and take, you need to sign up now. There is only a week or two of it. Bird hunting in Indiana pretty much sucks other than waterfowl.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Thanks for the input. That’s disappointing to hear.
    @CheeseheadHoosier Here is a link to the reserved hunts:

Put/Take pheasant hunts registration opens Sept.14 and is first come/first serve to get a slot.

Winamac and Willow Slough are two areas near NWI that I have been to in the past(back when you showed up at the location and stood in line to get a spot). I prefer Roush.

One thing about signing up for reserved hunts and put/take: try not to sign up for a reserved hunt on the same day you sign up for a put/take. I did that one year, and actually got drawn for a gamebird habitat area(first time drawn after trying for many years), and I had already signed up for put/take at Atterbury(paid money) for the same day. It was the only day I and @PhotoNinja could go, and the reserved hunt was 2 hours away from Atterbury...so we only hunted Atterbury that day.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    @CheeseheadHoosier Here is a link to the reserved hunts:

Put/Take pheasant hunts registration opens Sept.14 and is first come/first serve to get a slot.

Winamac and Willow Slough are two areas near NWI that I have been to in the past(back when you showed up at the location and stood in line to get a spot). I prefer Roush.

One thing about signing up for reserved hunts and put/take: try not to sign up for a reserved hunt on the same day you sign up for a put/take. I did that one year, and actually got drawn for a gamebird habitat area(first time drawn after trying for many years), and I had already signed up for put/take at Atterbury(paid money) for the same day. It was the only day I and @PhotoNinja could go, and the reserved hunt was 2 hours away from Atterbury...so we only hunted Atterbury that day.
    Thanks for the info! So what is the difference between a reserved hunt and put/take?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Thanks for the info! So what is the difference between a reserved hunt and put/take?
    Reserved hunt is where you sign up to have a chance to be drawn. It is not guaranteed you will get it. You can only sign up for a certain day for each reserved hunt.

Put/take is where you sign up for a date and location, pay the fee($30), and you are guaranteed that slot. Put/take dates are the Saturday before Thanksgiving to the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You can sign up for as many days as you want.

If you decide to do a put/take hunt, sign up the first day it opens(14th). They usually sell out fast. And you can sign up and pay for as many hunters that are in your group, you don't have to have each person sign up. For example, I would sign up for myself plus my Wife instead of her having to sign up separately.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    Reserved hunt is where you sign up to have a chance to be drawn. It is not guaranteed you will get it. You can only sign up for a certain day for each reserved hunt.

Put/take is where you sign up for a date and location, pay the fee($30), and you are guaranteed that slot. Put/take dates are the Saturday before Thanksgiving to the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You can sign up for as many days as you want.

If you decide to do a put/take hunt, sign up the first day it opens(14th). They usually sell out fast. And you can sign up and pay for as many hunters that are in your group, you don't have to have each person sign up. For example, I would sign up for myself plus my Wife instead of her having to sign up separately.
    I appreciate the explanation! The DNR's website was about as clear as mud. Guess I have some pondering to do, it may just be easier to pay the out of state fees and be guaranteed a hunt in WI.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I appreciate the explanation! The DNR's website was about as clear as mud. Guess I have some pondering to do, it may just be easier to pay the out of state fees and be guaranteed a hunt in WI.
    Most all the reserved hunts are free to sign up, so it doesn't hurt to try for one of those.

You can also hunt the put/take areas after the assigned dates, most people call it clean-up. You have to follow the hunting regulations when doing clean-up, but it is an opportunity to hunt for released birds that are left over at no cost other than hunting license. I have done it once, and it was slim pickins.

If you want to look into hunting a private area here in Indiana, here's a link to a list of places:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The referred to Reserved Hunts are supposed to have wild birds on the property. The put and take is on indiana fish and wildlife parties and are for released pen birds.
    When I had my Brittanies I signed up for the reserved hunts every year but never got drawn.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm not sure if Sandy Prairie Hunt Club is still doing pheasant hunting near Winamac, I used to coyotes hunt some properties that bordered some of their hunting ground.

Also know a couple of people that hunted here. Near Bremen

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    South of you some opportunities exist along border counties with Illinois, tracts of set aside ground, usually along creeks and rivers. This ground is in the CRP program administered by the USDA. It’s still the farmers ground he just can’t work it. These tracts are contracted for 10, 15, 20 yrs. But as I’ve said there highly coveted and closely held secrets by those in the know. Some rich city folk pay big bucks to hunt these spots, many in luxury travel busses with high dollar dogs, and shotguns that cost as much as a small home. I’m not saying where but south of you, bordering Illinois. I trap these spots and have trespassing permission due to living there for a couple decades. I keep my permission book up to date on a year to year basis.

So, in short, the spots are out there. Now you have to put in the leg work. I’ve worked as much as 15 years to gain permission on a coveted spot in a particular county south of you. Good Luck.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    We hunt put and take pheasant at Williow Slough (IN) and Iroquois County (IL) every year. Usually always tag out every day we go unless the weather is bad. It wouldn't be a great drive from Valpo, but neither is terrible.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm hoping to get the low down on pheasant hunting in IN. I recently moved from WI, where public land hunting opportunity is pretty good and the DNR regularly releases pen-raised birds throughout the season, since the wild population is slim. It's not like hunting SD, but the opportunity is there. You just buy the license/stamp and hit the fields.

I'm curious how pheasant hunting is here. How is the wild bird population, or does the DNR release most of their birds? I went on the DNR's website and saw you have to apply to hunt certain areas, how exactly does that work? Any good places to hunt near NWI?

Thanks in advance, just trying to decide if it's worth trying to chase birds here or if I'm better off driving up to my old hunting grounds.

It would be a bit of a drive for you (maybe 2 hours), but Thorn Bottom Hunting in Grover Hill OH is always fun.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We hunt put and take pheasant at Williow Slough (IN) and Iroquois County (IL) every year. Usually always tag out every day we go unless the weather is bad. It wouldn't be a great drive from Valpo, but neither is terrible.
    Benton co. In. and Iroquois co. Ill. Are some great places to bird hunt. Probably some of the best if not “the best” in the state, but you better have your s*** wired tight cause they have some very serious DNR officers all looking for a reason to site or even arrest hunters. Dogs and trappers overlap seasons this causes quite a bit of trouble.

Top Bottom