• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Didn't know where to post this, so I figured the hunters would know better than anyone about pests.

First off, what are legally considered 'Pests'? What I mean by pest, are animals that destroy your property such as Coons, Squirels, Gofers, Crows, Mice, Cyote, etc.

I know baiting is illegal, to take a pest. But I also know, every Tuesday night a racoon or squirele is opening my garbabe can and tossing my garbage all over the front lawn. Am I incorrect for stalking the animal with intent to kill, knowing that my garbage is 'bait'?

If I do take an animal, who do I have to contact to either dispose of the carcas and/or create a report of the incident?

What caliber can I use to dispose of these pests?

Can I set my dog after these pests?

What if a neigbors dog get's loose and is terrorizing my yard and children?

Also, must the shot be humane? Will I get some penalty if I shot a Coon in the stomach and wound it, as opposed to killing it on contact?

I can't go around chasing a field mouse with a handgun, but I do have a powerful .177 cal air rifle. The caliber requires a well placed shot for a kill, and sometimes it can prove difficult knowing the cunning of these animals, and their desire for survival.

Last question, while working my lawn, and on my property, can I OC a firearm?

Thanks to who ever answers this, maybe it will help others as well.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Didn't know where to post this, so I figured the hunters would know better than anyone about pests.

First off, what are legally considered 'Pests'? What I mean by pest, are animals that destroy your property such as Coons, Squirels, Gofers, Crows, Mice, Cyote, etc.

I know baiting is illegal, to take a pest. But I also know, every Tuesday night a racoon or squirele is opening my garbabe can and tossing my garbage all over the front lawn. Am I incorrect for stalking the animal with intent to kill, knowing that my garbage is 'bait'?

If I do take an animal, who do I have to contact to either dispose of the carcas and/or create a report of the incident?

What caliber can I use to dispose of these pests?

Can I set my dog after these pests?

What if a neigbors dog get's loose and is terrorizing my yard and children?

Also, must the shot be humane? Will I get some penalty if I shot a Coon in the stomach and wound it, as opposed to killing it on contact?

I can't go around chasing a field mouse with a handgun, but I do have a powerful .177 cal air rifle. The caliber requires a well placed shot for a kill, and sometimes it can prove difficult knowing the cunning of these animals, and their desire for survival.

Your profile says Indianapolis. you can't discharge a firearm/bow and arrow/Air rifle/paintball... IIRC

By "can't" I of coarse mean legally...

Last question, while working my lawn, and on my property, can I OC a firearm?

Yes

Thanks to who ever answers this, maybe it will help others as well.

My answers above in red... IANAL...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    "Nuisance Animals
    A resident landowner or tenant may take, using legal methods, without a permit, a beaver, mink, muskrat, long-tailed weasel, red fox, gray fox, opossum, skunk, gray squirrel, fox squirrel or raccoon that is discovered damaging property and must report the taking of such animal to a conservation officer within 72 hours.

"

DNR: Furbearer Regulations

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Well, I'm in Marion County, Franklin township. Is that still cosidered the Indanapolis city limits?

And children are pests, lol, but I don't think I can fire at them and get away with it. The schools will be asking for them.

Are rabbits considered pest as well? I never seen one destroying anything, but they do get in the garden and have a ball there. Usually a loud noise will scurry them away.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    That sucks. But I'm glad I asked. Can you imagine the world of trouble I would have been in if I would have shot a musk rat and had to explain why it has a bullet wound in the head, in a no shoot zone? Thanks guys.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    That sucks. But I'm glad I asked. Can you imagine the world of trouble I would have been in if I would have shot a musk rat and had to explain why it has a bullet wound in the head, in a no shoot zone? Thanks guys.

try calling your conservation officer first... I shot a raccoon inside city limits before.. CO called local police first , in case they got any phone calls..

Top Bottom