• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midwestmobster

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Jan 10, 2023
    Indianapolis
    What is the reliability of these things once loaded and stored? Did a duel/single action revolver exist that used percussion caps and black powder? Just wondering as I have a cousin that said "you could" carry one and it would be reliable. I know nothing about these things any help is appreciated. Any recommendations for good cheap replicas that use percussion caps and don't break the bank? Did duel action exist prior to 1898?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    What is the reliability of these things once loaded and stored? Did a duel/single action revolver exist that used percussion caps and black powder? Just wondering as I have a cousin that said "you could" carry one and it would be reliable. I know nothing about these things any help is appreciated. Any recommendations for good cheap replicas that use percussion caps and don't break the bank? Did duel action exist prior to 1898?
    I’m not an authority on pre 1898 history although many of my friends say l lived back then.

However, I can invite you as a guest to come out and shoot my cap and ball revolvers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Repro cap and ball revolvers will keep a working charge for quite a long time. Double action revolvers like the Cooper have been around since the 1850s, but I'm unaware of any repros.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have left a cap and ball in the safe with powder and ball loaded but no caps. They worked fine when taken to the range.
    Of course that was being stored in a climate controlled environment meaning the house. If you leave them in a vehicle
    when the nights get cold and days get warm they may not fire due to moisture.
    I'd say the best bet for a quality reproduction right now is probably a Pietta and is about as cheap as you're going to
    get. Traditions may be less expensive but have heard the quality isn't as good.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The biggest reliability issue with cap and ball revolvers is cap jams, not ignition. I've never had them not fire. But you need to get the right size caps and keep the nipples in good shape. If there are burrs in the hammer face or a poor fit, the spend caps can fall into the action and jam up the cylinder.

My very first gun was a repro 1858. They are accurate and powerful weapons that are very reliable with a little attention and a set of aftermarket nipples.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    The biggest reliability issue with cap and ball revolvers is cap jams, not ignition. I've never had them not fire. But you need to get the right size caps and keep the nipples in good shape. If there are burrs in the hammer face or a poor fit, the spend caps can fall into the action and jam up the cylinder.

My very first gun was a repro 1858. They are accurate and powerful weapons that are very reliable with a little attention and a set of aftermarket nipples.

This.

Cap jams have caused more revolver stoppages than anything else in my experience.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I believe somebody makes a repro of the Starr, a clunky beast of a civil war era revolver. It has a DA system of sorts.

starr.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This.

Cap jams have caused more revolver stoppages than anything else in my experience.
    Anecdotally my Colt jams more than my Remington.

Sometimes it's better if I point the barrel at the sky while cocking. Loose caps will drop to the ground, and the ones that stay usually need popped off with an knife.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    Reliability? "Fairly".

But I wouldn't open carry one on the near east...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Only Coopers I've ever seen are the real thing from the 1850s. Good solid little revolvers, the company got around Sam's patents by attaching the hand to the trigger rather than the hammer. Here's one compared to the Colt 1849.

cooperandcolt.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have not shot my 1851 all that much but installed Slixshot nipples for #11 caps and didn't have any cap jams
    after several cylinders. Would I carry it? Uh, no.

I enjoy cap and ball revolvers but wouldn't use them for EDC unless that's all I had. But also, I'm confident I could get the job done with them if that's all I had to work with.;)

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Pretty much every original Colt, Remington, Starr, Whitney, Adam’s, etc were carried for personal protection and into war for decades and performed wonderfully. Does that mean you should to it today? Nope!

No offense meant to you or your cousin but it seems that most people who discuss carrying C&B revolvers are felons who can’t possess modern firearms. But, they are still considered deadly weapons if one were ever to get into an altercation.

You use the word ‘cheap’ several times. A quick look at Midway or Cabela’s will show prices for most Italian repros to be in the $350-450 range. For that money, you can easily buy a used modern defensive handgun that will undoubtedly perform better and will be much easier to carry than your average 1851 or 1860 Colt repro.

Last time I took my 1851 out, I fired 48 rounds through it with no cleaning between and only had one small issue with a fired cap. Would I consider that good to carry? Still no. Reliability is a relative term because you’re not going to reload, so if it works for 5-6 shots that’s all you’re gonna have.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have shoot C&B guns for about 65 years. I would trust my life to one if I had to but would not like it. For carry I would want a 1851 Navy sent off to a SASS black powder gunsmith, by the time you had it as reliable as it could be made you will have $600-$800 in it. You don't want to load six chambers and not cap all of them, you can get a chainfire. Loading and shooting isn’t as simple as it looks if you want to shoot more than a couple of cylinders. If you are a felon you may not own or carry a C&B.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Feb 27, 2009
    No offense meant to you or your cousin but it seems that most people who discuss carrying C&B revolvers are felons who can’t possess modern firearms. But, they are still considered deadly weapons if one were ever to get into an altercation.
    Yep some are felons, but we have/had a member here that carried a pair of C&B revolvers. He refused to beg permission from the state to exercise his rights. C&B handguns being exempt from the LTCH requirements.
    If you are a felon you may not own or carry a C&B.
    Depends on the felony in IN, serious violent felonies and domestic violence convictions can't possess, other felonies are okay for them to possess and carry.

Top Bottom