• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not pushing any particular idea, just thinking about the what ifs.
    Like I said, all they have to do is mumble the words of a threat.
    The most benign thing that it can be is the actual weather ballon veered off course, and then the Chinese get to say look how easy that was, we can do that again.

It’s easy to say shoot it down, or it’s completely benign, but we don’t know what we don’t know, and that includes military technology, like payload capacities and tech abilities.

All I’m really pushing I guess is we don’t know, and there’s no point in analyzing it in terms of what we, as lay people, do know.

I'm out of my depth on spy stuff, but I am pretty confident in my boomy stuff knowledge and what ifs must still be constrained by what's realistically plausible. There's just not a way to have a significant amount of conventional or nuclear explosive given the size/shape/payload we're dealing with. Nuclear would also be easily detectible, so it's real real real unlikely theres some hidden suitcase nuke. You could bust it up and throw shrapnel from 5 miles up or whatever, but again there's just no why to it.

I still think it's largely a PsyOps/Propaganda operation and maybe a secondary intel gathering operation, personally.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I haven’t read any of this thread (sorry) but now that it’s 200+ posts long I feel it’s time to ask this?

If we shoot at the balloon, do we think a 9mm has enough penetration power at that distance or should we go with the obvious .40SW?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I'm out of my depth on spy stuff, but I am pretty confident in my boomy stuff knowledge and what ifs must still be constrained by what's realistically plausible. There's just not a way to have a significant amount of conventional or nuclear explosive given the size/shape/payload we're dealing with. Nuclear would also be easily detectible, so it's real real real unlikely theres some hidden suitcase nuke. You could bust it up and throw shrapnel from 5 miles up or whatever, but again there's just no why to it.

I still think it's largely a PsyOps/Propaganda operation and maybe a secondary intel gathering operation, personally.
    You’re probably right.
    Do we think this ballon is filled with helium?
    Why do we think that?
    What if there’s something lighter than helium? Or something even lighter than what all the smart people (not me) know that lighter than helium, know about?

• Haha
    Reactions: oze

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You’re probably right.
    Why do we think that?
    What if there’s something lighter than helium? Or something even lighter than what all the smart people (not me) know that lighter than helium, know about?
    Probably filled with virus particles.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You’re probably right.
    Why do we think that?

You can look at the periodic table and see what an element weighs. Hydrogen is lighter than helium, but no other gas is. Unless there's some element outside of observable physics they've somehow managed to create, it can't be lighter than hydrogen, and if they've done that then worrying about a balloon is like worrying about the cake knife inside a battle ship off your coast.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I haven’t read any of this thread (sorry) but now that it’s 200+ posts long I feel it’s time to ask this?

If we shoot at the balloon, do we think a 9mm has enough penetration power at that distance or should we go with the obvious .40SW?
    Funny you should mention handgun calibers in this thread. I was just thinking that there's an odd correlation between those who think that a 5 shot snubby is adequate for defense in today's world, and those who think that a Chinese spying craft flying in our airspace over our sensitive missile sites and Air Force bases is no big deal.

So...38 Special?

:):

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    You’re probably right.
    Why do we think that?
    Only thing lighter than Helium is Hydrogen.

We tried that once.

Remember the Hindenburg?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Only thing lighter than Helium is Hydrogen.

We tried that once.

Remember the Hindenburg?
    Not to be pedantic, but the Hindenburg belonged to the filthy Nazis, not us. And it was most definitely not the only hydrogen-filled airship in use at the time.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This could be bogus......... or not
    • Now the Pentagon is planning a shoot down and capture mission over US waters

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not to be pedantic, but the Hindenburg belonged to the filthy Nazis, not us. And it was most definitely not the only hydrogen-filled airship in use at the time.
    Technically, Nazis were humans. So if he meant “mankind” then. Yeah.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Funny you should mention handgun calibers in this thread. I was just thinking that there's an odd correlation between those who think that a 5 shot snubby is adequate for defense in today's world, and those who think that a Chinese spying craft flying in our airspace over our sensitive missile sites and Air Force bases is no big deal.

So...38 Special?

:):

Who thought it was no big deal?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom