• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Hey all! Does anyone know anything about the gunsmithing course pennfoster has? It's a acredited school and they say they have a 91% graduation rate which seems a little high if you ask me. Either way tho it's only one year and less than a thousand dollars is this worth the time,effort, and money would any gun store owner or gunsmith hire someone who graduated or has anyone gone to school there? Please help! Thanks

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    From what I have gathered from it, it is general firearms knowledge. I haven't really seen much from their course description that knocks my hat in the creek. If you find out anything different, let me know!

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Oh will do! Do you think it would be worth my time even if I start workin for gander mountain as long as I'm workin on guns I'll be happy ya know

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    From what I've been able to glean from the course descriptions it really doesn't teach you to be a gunsmith. It's all book work. Basically they teach you how to learn to be a gunsmith. I looked into the course and dismissed it as pretty useless for anyone who wants a real hands on gunsmithing education.

I've been looking into this program.
    Pennsylvania Gunsmith School: Pittsburgh PA

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Good luck at Gander, my friend! Unless you are a "licensed" gunsmith, you will not be able to work on firearms. Furthermore, they have done away with all the gunsmiths in Indiana, save the Castleton store. If you want my honest opinion, find a local gun shop, ask who they use for a gunsmith. Go to that person and ask if you can be an apprentice. Be flexible, and willing to pay your dues. Whether that be monetary or working for free...that's at the discretion of the smith. Good gunsmiths are hard to come by, and if you find one don't be discouraged by an abrasive nature. Good luck in your future...

Oh will do! Do you think it would be worth my time even if I start workin for gander mountain as long as I'm workin on guns I'll be happy ya know

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Understandable but that's what I believe I would be going to school for if I'm not mistaking? And it is a acredited school I'd have a degree and they say they'll even help get my ffl since you have to have one to work on other peoples firearms wouldn't I be pretty much set up to a degree?

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Be wary of any schooling through the mail, without the hands on, you are hindered my just being book smart. The apprenticeship idea, or picking up and moving to go to school is your best bet.

I've thrown the idea around a few times the last few years, you cannot make a living off of it, (very few can), and you will have a ton of capital tied up into it at the get go. If you do press on, I wish you well, and hope you are an exception to what I am saying.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    All IMHO.... Stay far away from Penn Foster or whatever they are called this year. This is the EXACT same company that Sally Struthers did the commercials for a few years back. I took an electricians course from them awhile back and it was OK. Not great but I did learn enough to hold a conversation with an electrician. I was then going to try the computer course, something I have a bit of experience with (23 years), and I crapped my pants when I saw how outdated it was. I then had to fight them to drop me, then fight to drop the payments they said I missed. This "school" is a joke..stay away, far away.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    I graduated with a AAS in Gunsmithing from Wabash Valley College and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Many of our graduates have opened their own shops or work for industry leaders.

If you are looking at a gunsmithing school make sure it is an accredited school. The certificates from a nonaccredited school are not worth much. Plus the tuition is much cheaper at the communty college programs.

IECC | Wabash Valley College

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Never heard of the wabash school but penn foster is a accredited school but ima look into wabash thanks ALOT

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    Never heard of the wabash school but penn foster is a accredited school but ima look into wabash thanks ALOT

Penn Foster accreditation is not accepted by any employers or other colleges. All my gunsmithing course credits transferred to Indiana State University for a BS in Technology Management. From my experiece, if you want to learn gunsmithing you will need to go to program that is machining heavy.

If you want to work in the industry, a certificate or degree from one of the community college programs is the industry standard.

If you just want to tinker with as a hobby, get the AGI tapes.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    just to throw it out there, i have not read the other posts

you will only get basic knowlege from that program and will not put you much closer to being a "real" gunsmith.

there is not such thing as a "lisenced" gunsmith, accredited maybe, but lisenced no.

getting your FFL has NOTHING to do w/ penn foster and the hard part about getting an ffl is local zoning laws and regulations, something penn foster will know nothing about.

gander doesnt will just laugh at you w/ a penn foster certificate, there are so many smiths graduating from the three top schools in the nation that they really get to pick from the cream of the crop.

wabash is a good program.

NOTHING can replace hands on experience when learning to be a gunsmith.

it will take more than 5 years working in the industry to even begin to feel confidant on a task you have not done several hundred times.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Accreditation....

Doesn't always mean what you think it means.

ANY fly-by-night outfit can be accredited by someone.

REAL accreditation, the ones that count, should be what you look for.

Want to tell "real" accreditation from a fly-by-night outfit? Look at the major state universities in the same state. Find out who accredits them. If that same accreditation body doesn't accredit the school you're looking at; then it's not worth it.

Not all accreditation is created equal!

(I now hope that I never have to type accreditation ever again)

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I haven't read all posts but just to make sure it gets mentioned the gunsmith course at
    Trinidad state junior college,Trinidad colorado is considered one of the best.

Good luck on what ever you chose to do!!!

Top Bottom