• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I would still try to start it up in safe mode to eliminate the possibility of your virus plug-in. As the number of virus signatures grows, so does the amount of memory necessary.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wish I understood things like this because some things make no sense, and I used to think I was fairly computer literate!

I opened INGO in an Incognito mode and am having no problems. Sure starting to look like a Google Chrome issue.

Really makes me sick that after all the years of using one system it suddenly and for no obvious reason screws up.

Thanks to all for the help and advice. Have no idea what I will do other than open INGO in an Incognito window or on my iPad.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I really like Brave as a browser. It's got a lot of privacy features built in and works well with Duck Duck Go (search engine).

1686689427991.png

I was using Firefox before. Brave let me import all my bookmarks from Firefox, so it was pretty seamless.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wish I understood things like this because some things make no sense, and I used to think I was fairly computer literate!

I opened INGO in an Incognito mode and am having no problems. Sure starting to look like a Google Chrome issue.

Really makes me sick that after all the years of using one system it suddenly and for no obvious reason screws up.

Thanks to all for the help and advice. Have no idea what I will do other than open INGO in an Incognito window or on my iPad.
    I pay bills online, and hated that I had to switch browsers.
    :xmad:

But, of all the things in life to be mad at, I figure it was small fry stuff.

I still eat.
    Have a roof over my head.
    And the vietcong isn't trying to end me.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I really like Brave as a browser. It's got a lot of privacy features built in and works well with Duck Duck Go (search engine).

View attachment 281413

I was using Firefox before. Brave let me import all my bookmarks from Firefox, so it was pretty seamless.
    Brave is good as it’s based on the Firefox codebase, but it’s also a bit slower and fails to work on some shopping and banking sites for me.

Most antivirus programs nowadays are junk anyhow, windows defender, should be all you need. Stay away from questionable websites as well and you will be OK.

I have been running linux for 20+ years and the only things I have ever needed windows for run in a virtual machine inside of Linux. Unless you are a gamer or run specialized applications for business, windows is completely unnecessary nowdays. I won’t allow my windows to upgrade to 11 I’m sticking with 10. I have read far too many problems about Windows 11, and Microsoft has increased the number of telemetry channels and is even considering allowing ads within their OS. Advertisements have no business being in an operating system.

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    Thanks MidwesternStructures! I am pretty close to the same situation with my iPad replacing my desktop. I give my daughter credit for dragging her daddy into the modern age!

Added - Yes I cleared the cache and cookies. My thought too that it was a cache issue. Since my desktop is fairly new I might just give the manufacturer a call.
    In the event you do actually have faulty RAM, I’m sure they’d have no problem replacing it. To check this, you can download MemTest86. I’d let it run overnight. If everything checks out, it’s highly unlikely it’s a hardware error.

Hope that helps!

- Brody

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    Brave is good as it’s based on the Firefox codebase, but it’s also a bit slower and fails to work on some shopping and banking sites for me.

Most antivirus programs nowadays are junk anyhow, windows defender, should be all you need. Stay away from questionable websites as well and you will be OK.

I have been running linux for 20+ years and the only things I have ever needed windows for run in a virtual machine inside of Linux. Unless you are a gamer or run specialized applications for business. windows is completely unnecessary nowdays. I won’t allow my windows to upgrade to 11 I’m sticking with 10. I have read far too many problems about Windows 11, and Microsoft has increased the number of telemetry channels and is even considering allowing ads within their OS. Advertisements have no business being in an operating system.
    I love Linux for my personal laptop, but it just doesn’t work well enough for gaming. It has come a LONG way, but it’s just not there for me yet. Every year or so, I give it another run to see how it is. I hardly play games anymore, but it’s nice to have everything ready to go whenever I get the urge.

For a lot of things, it’s not even a Linux issue, it’s a company thinks users will hack their game issue, or they just don’t care about spending a little extra dev time on it.

I think in 5 more years, it will finally be there. Especially with the Steam Deck. That thing has totally changed Linux gaming support.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I have been running linux for 20+ years and the only things I have ever needed windows for run in a virtual machine inside of Linux. Unless you are a gamer or run specialized applications for business. windows is completely unnecessary nowdays. I won’t allow my windows to upgrade to 11 I’m sticking with 10. I have read far too many problems about Windows 11, and Microsoft has increased the number of telemetry channels and is even considering allowing ads within their OS. Advertisements have no business being in an operating system.
    I had Linux on my previous laptop. I don't know if you remember pudly from INGO, but he graciously spent about an hour (or more) on the phone with me creating a thumb drive version of Linux Mint and walked me through how to change the BIOS to look for the thumb drive and boot from there if it was present. I loved Linux and wish I knew how to make this laptop a dual boot (partitioned?) machine to eliminate the need for a thumb drive. It was just so "clean" for lack of a better term. No bloatware, and it just seemed very slick.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I had Linux on my previous laptop. I don't know if you remember pudly from INGO, but he graciously spent about an hour (or more) on the phone with me creating a thumb drive version of Linux Mint and walked me through how to change the BIOS to look for the thumb drive and boot from there if it was present. I loved Linux and wish I knew how to make this laptop a dual boot (partitioned?) machine to eliminate the need for a thumb drive. It was just so "clean" for lack of a better term. No bloatware, and it just seemed very slick.
    Sounds like they set you up with a live version of linux. If you run the installer and it sees a windows partition present it should offer you to install alongside and create a dual boot option for you. If you use a cloning application, like Clonezilla, you can take a backup image of your entire Windows PC drive as it currently is to another storage medium and will save a full image of it that you can restore your system back to the way it was any time before the Linux install attempt.

I run Linux Mate 18.04 LTS (Long Term Support, always run the LTS version - it's the stable branch). I haven't upgraded to 20.04 yet since they have done away with support my favorite bit mapped terminal font Terminus and I spend lots of time at the command prompt.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds like they set you up with a live version of linux. If you run the installer and it sees a windows, partition present should offer you to install alongside and create a dual boot option for you. If you use a cloning application, like Clonezilla, you can take an image of your Windows PC as it currently is and will save a full image of it that you can restore your system back to the way it was any time before the Linux install attempt.
    1686690768657.png

:):

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Going to make this my last update with what I found out and someone with more knowledge of how the internet works might figure out what is going on with my desktop.

Got a new Windows update which ran and rebooted the computer, still have an issue with only INGO using regular Google Chrome. Any thread that is opened starts normally but then my RAM use starts climbing until I get the out of memory page. It is almost like something is trying to load above what is needed until it crashes the page.

When I open INGO in an Incognito window, everything runs normally. That tells me that there is something that Incognito blocks that is causing my issue.

When using the Safari browser on iPad I have no problems.

So yes it looks like a Google Chrome issue but my question remains, what changed on Saturday June 10 or Sunday June 11. Did not have the problem before those dates.

And I did a full RAM scan and found nothing reported to be wrong with the 16 gig of RAM I have.

Thanks to all who offered an opinion, I value them all. Right now I don't feel like going through the setting up of a new browser. Chrome might be a spy but at least I have been able to run all my business and browsing without any problems.

Top Bottom