• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I thought this might be helpful to make a list and update it with all the known parks that are a no go due to town or city ordinances. This list will be helpful for those that may unknowingly break such an ordinance due to ignorance and maybe some of you with these ordinances might see this and fight to get them reversed.

Warning: This list is a work in progress and is not to be considered all inclusive. If your town or city has an ordinance against firearms possession in their parks and is not on the list post up and I will edit the original list.

This is only to list the prohibition of possession in parks not town halls, police stations, courts and such. I will get the ball rolling with these cities and towns...

Angola American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Auburn https://documents.ci.auburn.in.us/do.../Document-5263
    Avon American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Beech Grove American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Brazil American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Carmel American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Cass County (France park) American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Columbia City American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Crawfordsville (sugar creek trails) City of Crawfordsville, Indiana - Code of Ordinances
    Danville American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Elkhart American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Fishers ??? interpretation American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Fort Wayne American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Goshen http://www.ci.goshen.in.us/files/31834823.pdf
    Greenfield American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Hammond American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Huntingburg American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Indianapolis ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL
    Kokomo http://www.cityofkokomo.org/SiteImages/FileGallery/title09_66.pdf
    Marion American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    New Albany American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    New Whiteland http://www.townofnewwhiteland.com/do...tle VIII.htm
    Peru American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Plainfield Town Of Plainfield, IN
    Richmond The City of Richmond, Indiana
    Saint Joseph County American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Sellersburg??? interpretation American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Shelbyville American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    South Bend Municode.com | Online Library
    Southport ??? "concealed" American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Tell City American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Terre Haute Download the City Code — City of Terre Haute Government
    Union City American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Washington Washington, Indiana
    Whiteland American Legal Publishing - Online Library
    Winchester American Legal Publishing - Online Library

I really thought this list was going to be shorter. :(

Last edited:

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    Fishers: It talks about hunting, but a case could be made that a handgun is a "weapon capable of capturing or harming any wild animal or bird in a park or on a trail"

(I have edited out non-firearm related code)

96.16 PARK REGULATIONS.

(E) Any person who commits any of the following acts in a park or on a trail shall be fined in accordance with § 10.99. For Schedule of Fines, see § 36.08. Additional penalty: Restitution applies in all cases when damage to town property occurs.

(3) Hunting. To bring, carry, or possess a firearm or bow and arrow or to bring, carry, possess, set or use any snare, trap, seine, net, similar device, or other weapon capable of capturing or harming any wild animal or bird in a park or on a trail.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Fishers: It talks about hunting, but a case could be made that a handgun is a "weapon capable of capturing or harming any wild animal or bird in a park or on a trail"

(I have edited out non-firearm related code)

96.16 PARK REGULATIONS.

(E) Any person who commits any of the following acts in a park or on a trail shall be fined in accordance with § 10.99. For Schedule of Fines, see § 36.08. Additional penalty: Restitution applies in all cases when damage to town property occurs.

(3) Hunting. To bring, carry, or possess a firearm or bow and arrow or to bring, carry, possess, set or use any snare, trap, seine, net, similar device, or other weapon capable of capturing or harming any wild animal or bird in a park or on a trail.

Yea I saw that and I am not a lawyer so I can't tell you what exactly that means if I am not hunting then.. On the other hand if your handgun is capable of hunting? Vague at best not sure about Fishers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    [STRIKE]Avon is ONLY the park located adjacent to the town hall. Their town ordinance cites a specific address. The Washington Township park, located on the other side of US 36 and a bit farther west, is not mentioned anywhere in their code.[/STRIKE]
    Edit of the above. LibertyBear found the citation that bans LTCH citizens from the parks. Dang it....

Danville is a very unfriendly place. They will steal your firearm and fine you if you carry on ANY municipal property, including the park.

Thanks for pulling this list together!
    (Darn thing won't let me rep you! Someone get him for me)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Same thing with St. Joe county parks. Mishawaka, South Bend, etc...I'll get more info tonight. What I can't figure out is if this included the riverwalk area where the St. Joe river crosses Main street.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    someone here said that hammond has an ordinance like that also. i think it was prometheus that said that. not sure

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For Indianapolis, I hope you put info on where you can't carry on the Canal. I've no idea what part I can and can't carry yet.

Danville, I didn't know it was unfriendly. How can that be? It has Mayberry Cafe!

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Thanks for putting this list together! With all the talk I've been doing about it lately, I was actually going to be doing this very soon. But, you beat me to it and saved some work!

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Here is the Beech Grove code and below it, we have the penalty. PRETTY DARN STIFF!!!

§ 99.04 PROHIBITED CONDUCT.

(C) It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the Board of Parks and Recreation, to discharge any firearms or air rifles, or to have possession of any firearms or other explosive devices or air rifles, or to endanger others by the use of any weapon, article, or device or air rifle, within any park, playground, or on any property controlled or leased by the Department of Parks and Recreation, or on which a concession has been granted by it.

Penalty, see § 10.99

§ 10.99 GENERAL PENALTY.

Where an act or omission is prohibited or declared unlawful in this code of ordinances, and no penalty is otherwise provided, the offender shall be fined not more than $l,000 for each offense or violation. A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day that a violation occurs or continues.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Here is the Beech Grove code and below it, we have the penalty. PRETTY DARN STIFF!!!

§ 99.04 PROHIBITED CONDUCT.

(C) It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the Board of Parks and Recreation, to discharge any firearms or air rifles, or to have possession of any firearms or other explosive devices or air rifles, or to endanger others by the use of any weapon, article, or device or air rifle, within any park, playground, or on any property controlled or leased by the Department of Parks and Recreation, or on which a concession has been granted by it.

Penalty, see § 10.99

§ 10.99 GENERAL PENALTY.

Where an act or omission is prohibited or declared unlawful in this code of ordinances, and no penalty is otherwise provided, the offender shall be fined not more than ,000 for each offense or violation. A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day that a violation occurs or continues.

so it would only be a fine if they caught you carrying? no record?

thanks for all your hard work looking all this up!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am pretty sure that most places post clearly where you cannot carry. That has been my experience anyway.

Not even close! I practically grew up in the Danville park, and had NO IDEA it was a victim disarmament zone. Avon has no signage either. As a matter of fact, finding the ordinances for towns NOT listed on American Legal Publishing is a real pain.

LibertyBear - man you work FAST. Great list (well, not so great, but good info).

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    IIRC Washington Park in Hendricks County is not part of Avon, it belongs to the township and as such is not covered by the Avon ordinance. Last time I was there I read the sign and it had nothing about firearms on it, I think that was in Dec.

Top Bottom