• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm not sure, but I'm about to find out; Ordered the barreled action and Zhukov kit. I think they've looked promising since they were first mentioned, and the specs look nice. Especially for a little over $550 with all the Zhukov Magpul gear.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    From what I've read they are all IO parts that Palmetto assembles. I'm not 100% sure that's true but if that's the case I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole. IO anything = no go

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    As I pointed out when this first appeared, the kits are broken out in ways that benefit Palmetto only. You get a non-matching kit and they get to keep the wood furniture that should be with the parts.

And if this is IO-anything, no way I would have anything to do with it.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    As I pointed out when this first appeared, the kits are broken out in ways that benefit Palmetto only. You get a non-matching kit and they get to keep the wood furniture that should be with the parts.

And if this is IO-anything, no way I would have anything to do with it.

I wondered this and thanks for pointing it out.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am certainly interested to hear what you guys find out... I was initially very excited when I found out palmetto was jumping in the AK arena but that has quickly waned.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've read a few Internet grumbling about them being made from IO parts, but haven't found anything based on fact yet. If anyone has anything, I'd be happy to hear it so I can cancel my order. IO has a terrible track record, and I have no interest in being their next victim. So far though, the best I've come up with is a couple of guys on an AK Files thread saying they must be IO, because the dimples on the receiver look the same......

They don't come with wood, because they aren't imported kits. The bolt is headspaced to the barreled action, and is included. The numbers on the parts kit aren't serialized, because they are new production and not from a demilled import, just like they would be if you were building an AR. I no longer have the tools or space to build a barreled action, and with these kits, the hard part is done.

I have several traditional AK's, and was curious to try out the new Magpul furniture. I know if I had bought an imported gun, I'd want imported gear on it. Being American made, I honestly don't care how it looks and can ninja' it out with a light, optic, and Krylon. I love and prefer imported rifles, but for $559 with the Zhukov gear included, I don't see getting too hurt on the deal. This is a new way of selling an AK, and I'm sure purist and traditionalist will be wary (myself included). But with our bull **** import laws and our Governments history of trying to circumvent the 2nd Ammendment, I think this could be a positive thing for us fans of the Kalashnikov platform. I say this with cautious optimism, and will only be the case if they work nearly as well or hold up like the commie manufactured ones do.

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    So if these are not imports, who machined them at this price point? And who assembled them? There are not many places in the U.S. (other than Century or IO) that has experience AND works cheap.

And if these are 100% American and good quality, I would recommend to Palmetto that they remove the extra Magpul stuff and release a complete ready-to-build kit. With no extras and no need to pay for assembly (which is not quick if done correctly), these kits could compete with the cheaper import kits and give builders the chance to buy their own furniture.

If you do get one, I would love pictures of the metalwork.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I had read on the inter webs that the reunions were cast or something to that effect. There seemed to be that these were inferior trunnions for that reason. Also, the kit prices were a little steep. The assembled barrel/receiver combos were ok imo since I would prefer getting my own furniture anyway. I put a set of Magpul's Zukhov stock on that 556 74 I built at the last build party and its freaking awesome!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out. If all is good, PSA should be able to clean up. Don't listen to the naysayers. Remember Vitamin K's first rule of AK ownership: The crappiest AK today is the best AK ever built 10 years from now.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out. If all is good, PSA should be able to clean up. Don't listen to the naysayers. Remember Vitamin K's first rule of AK ownership: The crappiest AK built by a country who actually fields AKs today is the best AK ever built 10 years from now.

fixed it for ya! ;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm interested to see how these AK's work out for PSA. I'm a PSA fanboy, but in the case of an AK I really want to get one of the new DDI magpul AK47's. I've heard nothing but good about them especially being built on waffenworks old equipment.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    DDI hired Troy Sellars of InRange to overlook their AK builds, so they have one of the best in the industry running the shop. ;)

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Interestingly enough PSA has more furniture options on their site now. They even have a kit sans furniture but for the 299 on the Zhukov kit that is the most interesting to me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wabbit, Clay, a lot of you other ak guys. Outside of building my own (I don't know enough about AK rifles to do it I don't thing). What would be your best option for buying a gun off the shelf. Arsenal or something around a thousand bucks I am sure is nice, but what about something like the new century guns or the DDI's for a lot less money?

I am just want to hear the thoughts or opinions of guys who know them so well.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    What would be your best option for buying a gun off the shelf. Arsenal or something around a thousand bucks I am sure is nice, but what about something like the new century guns or the DDI's for a lot less money?

I'll assume you mean a 47. If you can touch and play with the AK before you hand over the money, the WASR or C39 work fine. If a kit comes from a commie country (as Clay pointed out above) it should be an excellent rifle provided the monkey riveted the pieces correctly. If you are just ordering the rifle online and can't inspect cant, fit, etc., I would bump up to Saiga, VEPR, DDI, or Arsenal.

I would avoid any IO guns at any price.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'll assume you mean a 47. If you can touch and play with the AK before you hand over the money, the WASR or C39 work fine. If a kit comes from a commie country (as Clay pointed out above) it should be an excellent rifle provided the monkey riveted the pieces correctly. If you are just ordering the rifle online and can't inspect cant, fit, etc., I would bump up to Saiga, VEPR, DDI, or Arsenal.

I would avoid any IO guns at any price.

Yeah, I meant 47. I could go 74 though too. Big fan of how they shoot. I had a 47 and sold it, and I need to get my hands on a good one... For the most part I just don't know a good one when I see it. Thanks for the response.

Top Bottom