• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks again to everyone for coming out. It was a double bonus because we got to see familiar faces and so many couples. What was really fun was all of the participation. Everyone got in on the act and it seemed that they were glad they did. Please don't forget, nothing is free, even the simple stuff needs to be drilled and practiced.

btw SMiller, I broke down and ate one of the donuts on the trip home. It was good, unfortunately.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You should have known he might expect more on a first date than you're comfortable delivering. Heh.

You should've seen how quickly he removed himself from the back of that car. One second he's in the back seat... Next second he about goes THROUGH me to get out the window of the closed door. Granted, his instruction was to keep ICP from coming out... But I was still impressed.

Mike, Josh, Chris, and Jackson: Thank you.

This is indeed a "beginner" class - a jumping-off point, if you will, for myriad other things that one can get into - that will all add arrows to the quiver.

Big take away: You've gotta know (and know ahead of time) what you'll do next should Step 1 not work. And likewise for step 2. We simply can't go through life thinking that every problem is a nail all because we only have and know how to use a hammer. That's not how life works.

As for my wife: She loved it. It really has hit home with her about how truly vulnerable that teenagers are and can be when in social situations - especially girls and young women.

Strangely enough, I had a change to put into practice a bit of the MUC stuff later that afternoon as we were on our way to get the kids. Suffice it to say - my mom won't be pulling that ish any more... :D hah!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    btw SMiller, I broke down and ate one of the donuts on the trip home. It was good, unfortunately.

You felt better after you ate it too, didn't you? ADMIT IT!

Anyone have video of my wife screaming "back up mother****er"?

Okay, were I not familiar with the curriculum, that would be a very interesting question. Okay, my curiosity is still piqued.

Maybe -- I haven't looked through them yet.

"Looked."

Be careful. ICP may have quite a catalog of videos featuring other people's wives. Sometimes it's better not to know.

You shouldn't assume that others engage in your hobbies, sir. Well, unless you've been trading videos with him and you know something we do not.

Strangely enough, I had a change to put into practice a bit of the MUC stuff later that afternoon as we were on our way to get the kids. Suffice it to say - my mom won't be pulling that ish any more... :D hah!

You probably shouldn't tell your mom to BACK OFF, MOTHER F***ER!!! I'm just sayin'.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I MUC'd the hell out of some pushy Cub Scouts trying to sell popcorn outside Jimmy Johns during the lunch break.

Good on you, man! Gotta practice to get better!

The extent of pics I took:

0919151442_HDR_zps62422178.jpg

Mike and Josh talking about something or other.

0919151525a_HDR_zps981879df.jpg

Mike being a crash test dummy for something Josh was demonstrating

0919151525_HDR_zps75ae497f.jpg

More crash test dummy-ing for Mike

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My Biggest Lesson From This Class

Turf Doctor just happened to capture on video the 13 seconds of this class that included my biggest "AH HAH!" moment. Big thanks to him for sending me the video. So, I want to share that video and talk about my biggest lesson from the class this weekend. I may start a whole 'nother thread to discuss this topic.

So, some background: I have been taking BJJ for about a year. I'm not very good, but I'm a lot better than I was when I started. However, I have not integrated the gun in to my grappling/fighting since I started. So I came to class this weekend wearing a blue gun just in case I got the chance to play around. I thought this would be a good opportunity to put the two together. At the end of class Josh asked me to help him demonstrate a relatively intense BJJ type roll. That's where this video picks up. Josh is in the red shirt. I am in the black shirt. The purpose of what we're doing is to demonstrate that in BJJ you can go with a high level of effort and intensity, test your skills against a high level of resistance, and neither person has to get hurt or injured in the process.

So we get to rolling, I'm wearing my blue gun, and I'm totally in BJJ Class type mode. I COMPLETELY FORGET about the gun in the situation. I'm on top, feeling somewhat in control, maybe even think I'm getting ahead in this exchange. Just as I think I'm getting somewhere, Josh sees it. He sees my gun on my belt. He PULLS MY OWN GUN OUT OF MY HOLSTER AND PUTS IT TO MY HEAD BEFOR I EVEN NOTICE!

So that had me doing a lot of thinking. Would I have had the same issue if it wasn't introduced to me as a "demo BJJ" type roll? Or would I have gone in to "BJJ Class" mode the moment I thought I was on top and gaining control? Are there things I need to change about how I grapple to accommodate the possibility of a handgun? If so, how do I do that? These are just some of the thoughts I had when I'm looking back on that moment.

Here's the video. I know it looks like two fat kids fighting over a cupcake (no offense Josh), but we're both actually putting in a good effort. :-)

[video=youtube;fo7MufvEcbQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7MufvEcbQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I will say that I still think training pure BJJ has significant merits. I actually took this class about a year ago when I'd only been doing BJJ for a few months. I was completely lost on the ground at that time. I had no concept of how to establish my position, maintain my position, what was dangerous, what wasn't. So without the BJJ I'd have just gotten destroyed. I am now just questioning how I need to change things or what I need to add to accommodate the gun. I think the biggest thing that needs to change is my mindset. I need to be thinking about that possibility every time I practice so I'm aware and it's easier to plug it in to the situation. I am open to any other thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^ Excellent point, and I had that exact lesson a while back in another class (the Suarez 0-5 thing). In one of the more "live" sessions against an armed and helmeted attacker, I made the decision NOT to go to the gun, disarmed the attacker, turned it into a grappling match that I *knew* I could win, failed to account for the fact that there was still a gun in the fight and found myself looking down my own (airsoft or blue gun, don't recall which...) barrel. I'm REALLY glad I learned that lesson in a training environment with a toy rather than when the stakes were higher than just my ego.

Another thing I saw in this class -- Josh has gotten VERY good at the verbal piece. I get a little lazy with that because I tend to be more quiet and usually I don't have a lot of trouble getting people to leave me alone, but I really should practice with it. I think Josh could turn the tables and have his "assailant" trying to keep up with HIS mind games.

I'll ETA one more lesson learned -- we all know it's fun to tweak the SO by mentioning how good her sister looks lately. Chezuki, I don't recommend that, in your case.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    ^^ Excellent point, and I had that exact lesson a while back in another class (the Suarez 0-5 thing). In one of the more "live" sessions against an armed and helmeted attacker, I made the decision NOT to go to the gun, disarmed the attacker, turned it into a grappling match that I *knew* I could win, failed to account for the fact that there was still a gun in the fight and found myself looking down my own (airsoft or blue gun, don't recall which...) barrel. I'm REALLY glad I learned that lesson in a training environment with a toy rather than when the stakes were higher than just my ego.

The lesson is important, but now I'm wondering how to keep it and make it stick. I'd be very interested in your thoughts on that.

Also, I finally got the video to imbed for all of your viewing pleasure.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The lesson is important, but now I'm wondering how to keep it and make it stick. I'd be very interested in your thoughts on that.

Also, I finally got the video to imbed for all of your viewing pleasure.

Jackson, IMO the only method for making it stick would be to train at least a fair amount of the time in a WBE (weapons based environment), guys like Cecil Birch, among others I would imagine address this. Coursework | Immediate Action Combatives

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    That's a cool clip to have on video Jackson. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I can assure you, we like doing this class as much as all of you. It's so awesome to see the different perspectives. And the Rhino post-class commentary is spot on (as usual).

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson, IMO the only method for making it stick would be to train at least a fair amount of the time in a WBE (weapons based environment), guys like Cecil Birch, among others I would imagine address this. Coursework | Immediate Action Combatives

I agree. It can be hard to get that kind of work in sometimes without going somewhere special. I could probably take some things to play in class, but I don't know if anyone in my beginner class would want to play that way. I've started looking at some of the integrated weapons/combatives places/trainers and will be making it a training priority. I also need to find some folks to bring over and play informally.

Like shooting skill, I tend to believe the biggest gains in grappling will come from working the basics and fundamentals until they are habit. So I don't think integrating weapons all the time is the answer if it over complicates the situations and/or inhibits learning really good grappling. However, I definitely recognize that pure grappling will not teach me how to operate in the weapons based environment. So I definitely need to sprinkle it in.

And like I said this weekend, if you guys come up with a retention/combatives oriented class I'll be there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's a cool clip to have on video Jackson. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I can assure you, we like doing this class as much as all of you. It's so awesome to see the different perspectives. And the Rhino post-class commentary is spot on (as usual).

Just think what I could do if I'd actually been there. Running my mouth is even more dangerous when I have more ammunition!

Top Bottom