• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Ok so I have a "super sniper" stock for my savage 110 tactical 308. I purchased it here from a member and it was used. He did some dremmel work to help the ergonomics(which he did improve) but left it a little rough. It is OD green now, and I am wanting to paint/ refinish it(color and paint type to yet to be determined and taking any input). I am hoping to take the roughness out with some sandpaper, but need some advice on type of paint/finisher to use after I get it smoothed over. Looking to do this myself. Recommendations?:popcorn:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    +1 on the bed liner,

if not,

paint and clear coat with mat/flat clear.. you can always sand and repaint it another color..

Gump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Ellettsville
    had a mossy 500 that I used the spray can truck bed liner ( bought it at Napa) and it held up really well. I'd use it again

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    First choice would be Duracoat, but if that isnt an option, or possible try the Krylon line of spray paints. They have some heavy duty paints, and I have heard of people getting good results with them when duracoat wasn't an option. Plus the Krylon paints come in a large varity of colors.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I have refinished and painted a few stocks ...the best advice i can give you ...Preparation, when you think you have it sanded smooth enuff go to the next step of sand paper for instance if you think the 200 grit was enuff go to the 400 grit and sand some more ...
    I usually go out to atleast 1000 grit ...

Then a good primer coat , lightly sand after the primer coat with 1000 grit .

then a few thin layers of the color you want after you get it the way you want it i would recommend atleast 3 coats of clear ..

good luck :patriot:

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I stripped the crappy paint job off of the Carcano that my wife bought me for Christmas. I rubbed in 4 layers of Tung oil, it's really cool looking now. It really brought out the grain.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I've been threatening to do an old beater stock in spray-on bed liner but haven't done it yet. :dunno:

I used spray on bed liner on a wood handled machete (on the handle) a few years ago and it's starting to chip off now . Probably because I didn't do any sort of prep first .

I'm seriously thinking about it for a rifle finish though , mainly cause it's cheaper than having it finished .

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    you sould talk to member Gamez235 he paints stocks I have seen some of his work it looks good and he has some experance.I beleave he uses krylon and camo paterns.

Top Bottom